Tulsa To Bid For A Future Olympic Games

GBModerator

^what's the point of that, though. Y waste the time N money? Or is it that you just wanna C a "Tulsa" bid book cuz u get a boner every time u C a new one. :P

LOL - I do think there's a bit of an attitude in some quarters here that bidding and graphics and marketing is only done for our amusement, rather than to try and gain anything.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^what's the point of that, though. Y waste the time N money? Or is it that you just wanna C a "Tulsa" bid book cuz u get a boner every time u C a new one. :P

Hey it's not my money. The city is the foolish one wanting the games. So let them go for it. It's a democratic process here. There's plenty of political parties with no chance of getting elected but still strive to try and form government. Just let them be. There's nothing you can do about it until they actually submit something and it gets rejected.

Their so-called "Exploratory Committee" is initially eating away at Tax dollars by these goof-balls going over & bugging the City Council with their absurdity.

It's not "your" money, but if I was a Tulsa taxpayer, I'd be P.O. by this ridiculous charade!

I just don't get how this can work as a publicity stunt, though. Yeah, sure, we are talking about Tulsa. But that doesn't make me want to visit or invest and it doesn't make me think 'hey, those folks in Tulsa are something smart'. It is quite the opposite.

Despite what people say, there IS such a thing as bad publicity.

I just don't get how this can work as a publicity stunt, though. Yeah, sure, we are talking about Tulsa. But that doesn't make me want to visit or invest and it doesn't make me think 'hey, those folks in Tulsa are something smart'. It is quite the opposite.

Who really knows. Maybe over time it's enough to get Oklahomans to think of Tulsa as big time.

Maybe they're Seinfeld fans. "Co-stanzaaaaaaaa..."

You are part of a very tiny minority that understands the Olympic bid process. In more than a few minds, this will play out as, "Tusla almost got the Olympics."

Keep in mind, this is a state whose currently marketing campaign is, "Oklahoma is OK."

How is it bad publicity though? Every city, big or small, has people like this that dream big and way beyond reality. But if it gets their name out there, even if you don't want to invest in it, that recognition is still worth something. That may or may not be the case here, but I doubt too many people will look at it and think negative thoughts because 2 businessman have eyes bigger than their stomach. To FYI's point, it's the locals that should be upset by this if these efforts are needlessly eating away into any city resources that could otherwise be used elsewhere.

You are part of a very tiny minority that understands the Olympic bid process. In more than a few minds, this will play out as, "Tusla almost got the Olympics."

I don't buy that either. Even New Yorkers don't think that and there were plenty of people who, leading up to July 2005, thought that 2012 was a done deal. No one is going to look at Tulsa and think simply by getting their name out there (and we know better, if there is a bid process for 2024, there's no guarantee they'll be a serious part of it), that they were close to getting the Olympics.

I don't know. I've heard plenty of people here in the last four weeks say things like, "New York almost got these Olympics" and go on to entertain the thought of how that would've been like as if it was indeed something that "almost" happened. Heck, even the NY Times ran a story titled "Farewell to the Subway Olympics That Never Were".... err, too bad that farewell really [should've] happened weeks before the Singapore vote.

But Tulsa wouldn't make it to the international bid phase, let alone be considered by the USOC. An Olympic bid wouldn't sink that deep into the collective conscience of Tulsa locals for that type of comment to be said 7-10 years later.

Fair enough. Really, these kinds of zany bids just come down to a few people with a dream. They never materialize into much. OK, maybe once Billy Payne had his come true. But when the people in Tulsa, Nairobi and Hobart start to get down to the real business of an Olympic bid, they'll soon realize they don't have the resources to do it.

Archived