What American city should host the next games?

PotatoChips

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^N also where's the news that Washington DC & Baltimore "clearly want it". Have the mayor's of these cities & the Governor of Maryland make such declarations.. :blink:

http://z6mag.com/sports/olympics/washington-dc-to-bid-for-the-2024-summer-olympics-1613412.html

Did Chicago say "Absolutely not" and I miss the announcement? We also have not heard from LA or San Francisco yet.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/iteam&id=8772364

Thank u for those links. In the future, however, it would be most helpful if u intitial posts such sources/articles, since a lot of the time, most of the opinions on these boards R speculation.

I find the Chicago one the most interesting, since it's the one with the most notable answer by the mayor's office. Although, not really surprising, it's quite understable that the city still feels the sting of the 2016 rejection. I posted in another thread like a couple of weeks ago, that as Midwesterners, they're very conservative & gave it their all, & still lost N lost badly. N as we can now C by this local newsclip, that's not far from home.

N as far as the DC one goes, it's nothing more than the former bid leader of the DC/Baltimore 2012 committee talking. Nothing really substantial & something that Gamesbids here reported last week.

Now it appears to be, that perhaps some noise may be coming from Dallas N Philadelphia. Another interesting note in the Chicago bit, was that Chuck Goudie said that next time there will be no domestic phase, that a candidate will 'simply be picked' by the USOC. Even if three cities show interest, I don't C how it can just be 'picked' without somekind of evaluation of their plans.

But anyway, like Athensfan said; I think we should move any further talks to the "USA 2024" thread. That's Y it was initially put up.

Thank u for those links. In the future, however, it would be most helpful if u intitial posts such sources/articles, since a lot of the time, most of the opinions on these boards R speculation.

I find the Chicago one the most interesting, since it's the one with the most notable answer by the mayor's office. Although, not really surprising, it's quite understable that the city still feels the sting of the 2016 rejection. I posted in another thread like a couple of weeks ago, that as Midwesterners, they're very conservative & gave it their all, & still lost N lost badly. N as we can now C by this local newsclip, that's not far from home.

N as far as the DC one goes, it's nothing more than the former bid leader of the DC/Baltimore 2012 committee talking. Nothing really substantial & something that Gamesbids here reported last week.

Now it appears to be, that perhaps some noise may be coming from Dallas N Philadelphia. Another interesting note in the Chicago bit, was that Chuck Goudie said that next time there will be no domestic phase, that a candidate will 'simply be picked' by the USOC. Even if three cities show interest, I don't C how it can just be 'picked' without somekind of evaluation of their plans.

But anyway, like Athensfan said; I think we should move any further talks to the "USA 2024" thread. That's Y it was initially put up.

Thanks for the advice. :D. I'll see if I can move this whole post to the "USA 2024" thread

To answer the question, I'd like the Games in New York.

The East Coast never had them. Of course other major cities like Boston or Washington or Philadelphia would do, but New York has this special, global appeal.

Who should bid for 2024? Nobody... Just not a good enough story anywhere. Next US SOG will be in LA, and 2024 is a bit too soon.

Next US host city? Boston, 2026 perhaps.

2026 is the Winter Olympics.

The IOC have already declined bids when the Alpine events are more than 150-160km from the host city - Harbin for the WYOG, Oslo told an adament NO when suggesting using some of Lillehammer's facilities.

A Winter Olympics must have a mountain with a 800m vertical drop. For the International Skiing Federation, this is non-negotiable.

Boston is 255km from the nearest suitable mountain, 100km too far away.

I prefer San Francisco, after that probably Chicago. Miami would be an option if it wasn't for the heat. But please no US Games before 2030's, I still remember the last one very well.

I don't like the idea of NYC Games, the city is so big and well known already, it doesn't need the Games and I don't see it offering that something, the unknown element of surprise maybe. Not another LA Games and definitely no Dallas! (Atlanta revisited, anyone?)

Whilst I know this is about American/USA cities, in many ways the best location for a North American summer games in 2024/2028/2032 is TORONTO.

An internationl, multicultural city with recent experience of hosting a multi-sport major event in 2015, and loads of venues that can be used.

An even an Olympic stadium could be downsized afterwards and become the home of the CFL Toronto Argonauts.

I've always liked the idea of them in New York. It's such an iconic city. Failing that, San Francisco for the beauty of its location a la Sydney and Rio.

The IOC have already declined bids when the Alpine events are more than 150-160km from the host city - Harbin for the WYOG, Oslo told an adament NO when suggesting using some of Lillehammer's facilities.

Things change, including IOC requirments. No guarantees, but you can't say "never" either way. Besides, the question wasn't "What city is most likely to host," is was "What city should host."

I don't like the idea of NYC Games, the city is so big and well known already, it doesn't need the Games and I don't see it offering that something, the unknown element of surprise maybe.

I heard this argument over and over before London 2012. London might not have "needed" the games. But the games will surely help London. and London put on a great games.

Whilst I know this is about American/USA cities, in many ways the best location for a North American summer games in 2024/2028/2032 is TORONTO.

An internationl, multicultural city with recent experience of hosting a multi-sport major event in 2015, and loads of venues that can be used.

Disagree. Chicago is also an international, multi-cultural city, but that aspect didn't help them at all for 2016. Nor did it help Toronto for 2008. If Toronto were in the U.S., it really wouldn't gauge high on the totem pole. Would be within the likes of Dallas, Houston, Boston N Philadelphia.

And yeah, don't hijack the thread.

New York, New York, New York!

nothing else excites me from America

We could say the same with Australia. It's Sydney or nothing!

I don't like the idea of NYC Games, the city is so big and well known already, it doesn't need the Games and I don't see it offering that something, the unknown element of surprise maybe.

The same couold be said of London, Paris N Tokyo. All of them R big N all of these cities R already well -known & don't really 'need' the Games. But London just hosted, Tokyo is a 2020 finalist N people here seem to always get into a fever over the potential of a Paris 2024 Games.

If California wasn't broke, San Francisco would be a shoe-in.

Fortunately, the rest of the US is broke too, so it still has a chance, but I could see strong bids from the Capital region (united or any of the three), NYC, Chicago and maybe Boston being formed. There are plenty of other great US cities, from Seattle to Austin, Minneapolis to ...well, that's about it, really.

My entirely personal, subjective order of preference would be:

San Francisco

Chicago

Philadelphia

New York City

Washington/Baltimore

Seattle

Boston

Austin

Minneapolis

...Tulsa.

Boy...for all their bravado, Chicago and New York sure are whiney little wimp cities. One failed bid and they cry 'never again'? Geez...grow a pair like Detroit. They were rejected six times in a row. Never got the prize, but they kept going. :P

I'm being facetious, of course, but I think NYC, Chicago, SF and LA are the best hopes for the USA.

Archived