Sign in to follow this  
Kenadian

Summer Games Dates

The IOC prefers a summer Games to happen in the time frame between July 15 and August 31. A few times they have fallen outside that window - Melbourne, Tokyo, Mexico, Seoul, Sydney were later in the year, Athens 1896 were in April, and other earlier Games were all over the calendar.

But do you feel this is absolutely necessary?

For me personally, I like September Games when they chill of fall starts to creep in. It can be hard to sit indoors and watch the world's athletes on TV out running, cycling, paddling and jumping about playing beach volleyball when I could be out doing the same thing.

Do you think ratings could be higher if the Games didn't always have to fall in the height of the heavily populated Northern Hemisphere's summer?

I'm sure some of the Southern Hemisphere and Middle Eastern bid fans would love this.

I don't agree with you. Football seasons would begin limiting soccer players, NBA wouldn't look lightly on it as well.

I like to have the Games in September, not every time but ideally maybe every fourth Games. Vive la différence! I do feel there is something special about Games in later dates, it kind of is a true climax of the season for example in athletics. There are many places that can't host in July-August so some flexibility will be needed if they are to host.

But a Summer Olympics in a US election year has to happen before the US political conventions and action swings into high gear. School is out during that period so campuses and student forces on vacation can be harnessed for the SOG's great personnel demands.

I think in many places universities begin their classes in October, besides you are talking about northern hemisphere seasons, in the south they are reversed and things might be very different.

September would out in Olympics up against the NFL, NCAA football and stretch run of MLB in the U.S. The schedule would be too crowded.

As someone who likes to go to the games in person, I've always wondered what moron decided on games in the heat of summer and cold of winter. Couldn't we have Fall and Spring games :)

As someone who likes to go to the games in person, I've always wondered what moron decided on games in the heat of summer and cold of winter. Couldn't we have Fall and Spring games :)

The ancient Greeks for the Summers; and the Scandinavians and French for the Winters!! :D

But Athens 1986 was actually April. Paris 1900 was May to October. St. Louis was July 1- Nov 23. Etc., etc.

It was actually LA 1932 that telescoped it to July 30 - Aug 14. And if you have them in the So. hemisphere, well, the SOGs actually happen in their Winter.

Now, the Winters....don't be ridiculous.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

What ever we say here about the Olympic Games, whether that be the choise of candidate cities by the NOC's, the host cities themselves or the dates, we can only speculate, the decisions are made elsewhere, even though you might sometimes get a different impression. IOC has its preferred window for the Games and there are reasons for it but history shows that it can be tweaked a bit if there's a compelling reason to do so like we saw in the case of Sydney. I don't even mention the other cases as they were in another era. It's only a minor adjustment that can be planned in seven years. It would require only to tweak the calendar a bit, not to completely overturn it like in Southern Hemisphere Winter Games. The exceptions that could be accepted for northern fall dates in the not too distant future would be probably Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Australia with Melbourne or Sydney and Middle East.