Sign in to follow this  
gotosy

Tokyo 2020 Bid News

Thyroid cancer increase in Fukushima, vitiligo starts appearing in Japan.

Posted on August 20, 2013

New data has appeared showing a total of 44 Fukushima children now have been diagnosed with thyroid cancer, or are suspected of malignancy (to be confirmed by surgery). According to Kouta Kinoshita, this rate is 24.9 children per 100,000 people. Dr. Bandazhevsky has said:

In the Gomel region (5 years after the accident), 1991, was most affected by the accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, the frequency of thyroid cancer in children was 11.3 children per 100,000 people. It is included in this but you, girl, will be 16.8 per 100,000.

So, if all the suspected cases are counted, the thyroid cancer rate for children in Fukushima is over two times higher than the rate in highly contaminated areas near Chernobyl… and these cancers appeared in less than 2.5 years in Fukushima, while it took 5 years at Chernobyl. So the thyroid cancer rate is over twice as high in less than half the time.

It is way ahead of Chernobyl. No wonder, Fukushima has been spreading iodine-131 and iodine-129 with every criticality for 2.5 years.

matsuzak@maple.ocn.ne.jp

Hmmmmmm, indeed! Who here is so "disgusted" with "radioactive" Tokyo & Japan! Their headquaters are probably in San Diego, too! :P

It's not me but there are alarming stories every day about Japan’s radioactive disaster and continuing/escalating crisis, I took the hint here…nobody cares. :angry:

Fukushima's Invisible Crisis -The Nation

More than two years after the cataclysmic earthquake and tsunami, the Fukushima plant is still in crisis. TEPCO still has no sufficient explanation for when the leaks began or why it waited until after the election to reveal them.

The cycle is now familiar: first denials and delays, then admissions and apologies from TEPCO officials.

Wrecked Fukushima storage tank leaking highly radioactive water -Rueters

Edited by paul

That's the thing. The newbie tactics may be transparent, but this really is a mess and it deserves more attention than it's getting.

Bank on us, says Tokyo Olympic bid chief

TOKYO (AFP) – Tokyo has sent a clear message to the International Olympic Committee less than three weeks before the vote to decide the host city for the 2020 Summer Games: bank on us.

With the IOC under pressure to keep escalating Olympic budgets in check amid protests and political sniping in Brazil and Russia, Tokyo has underlined its promise to deliver a profitable Games without the risk of over-spending.

"We're very healthy," Tokyo 2020 chief executive officer Masato Mizuno told AFP in an interview.

"Tokyo is a safe pair of hands and that includes financial strength. We already have a $4.5 billion Olympic hosting fund so financially there's no problem -- we're secure. We also have city and government guarantees. There is no worry."

Tokyo, which tiptoed into the bidding race after losing out to Rio for 2016, remains the favourite with the bookmakers to beat rivals Istanbul and Madrid for the right to stage the 2020 Games.

Having re-entered the fray with the country still recovering from a deadly tsunami and resulting nuclear crisis in 2011, Tokyo's budget and financial stability could be a key factor in the September 7 vote in Buenos Aires.

Mizuno, who has clocked up so many air miles lobbying for votes that he has his right hand in a protective support from constantly lifting his luggage, insisted Tokyo had even more cash at its disposal for 2020.

"The $4.5 billion budget included the main stadium," he said of the $1.4 billion flying-saucer design with retractable roof. "The main stadium has since become the national stadium funded (separately) by the government so we have even more reserves. You can rely on us to deliver."

In comparison, Istanbul's projected infrastructure budget of $19 billion dwarfs those of Tokyo and Madrid, though the IOC has noted much of that sum is not technically tied to the Games.

Next year's Winter Olympics in Sochi are set to become the most expensive ever at a cost of more than $50 billion -- blasted as "monstrous" by Russian opposition leaders -- while cost overruns are predicted for Rio 2016.

"We have the $4.5 billion," said Mizuno. "Plus, we have revenue from the IOC, revenue from ticketing and also marketing revenue (which) will make I would say $8.5 billion, which is the total budget."

Should Tokyo win, the money would be accessible from the moment the Olympic organising committee sets up operations. "It's in the bank," said Mizuno. "We can draw it out immediately."

Bullish over Tokyo's financial might and strong public support, Mizuno played down concern over potential radiation exposure following the meltdown at the Fukushima nuclear plant 150 miles north of Tokyo in early 2011.

"Regarding the radiation levels, air and water levels are very low and very safe so we're confident (it won't be a factor in the vote)," he said.

"Plus, there's the distance. Also, we actually monitor 80 points in Tokyo every day and all the levels are very low. There is no problem, no issue."

Mizuno also expressed confidence that Tokyo, which hosted Asia's first Olympics in 1964, could depend on backing from the IOC's Asian members, despite Japan's political tensions with South Korea and China.

"Sport is not the same as politics. For sport there are common rules for competing with each other," he said, adding that Tokyo would adopt an "absolute zero tolerance" policy on doping at the 2020 Games.

"There is friendship and respect. (Our neighbours in) Asia have been friends for many years and when I visit and meet them I'm sure they support us."

AFP

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/08/21/bank-on-us-says-tokyo-olympic-bid-chief/#ixzz2caVh0PQT

Fukushima Radiation proven to have caused thyroid cancer on Japanese children
The Real Agenda POSTED AT: 11:53, AUGUST 21, 2013
Despite the continuous failure from Tokyo Electric Power Company, the nuclear plant’s operator, to stop the water from getting to the ocean, the Japanese government has not intervened to find a solution to the contamination of the air or the water.
The results, which were released on Tuesday, revealed that 18 of those children developed thyroid cancer, while 25 others may suffer from this disease, reported Japanese public television NHK.
http://real-agenda.com/2013/08/21/fukushima-radiation-proven-to-have-caused-thyroid-cancer-on-japanese-children/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Real-Agenda/216118808401899

Fukushima leak is 'much worse than we were led to believe', New health concerns

22 August 2013 BBC News

The "worsening situation" at Fukushima has prompted a former Japanese ambassador to Switzerland to call for the withdrawal of Tokyo's Olympic bid.

In a letter to the UN secretary general, Mitsuhei Murata says the official radiation figures published by Tokyo Electric Power Company cannot be trusted. He says he is extremely worried about the lack of a sense of crisis in Japan and abroad.

This view is shared by Mycle Schneider, who is calling for an international taskforce for Fukushima.

"The Japanese have a problem asking for help. It is a big mistake; they badly need it."

Tokyo 2020 emphasises its global vision for the benefit of sport and the Olympic Movement Prime Minister Abe confirms he will lead bid delegation to IOC Host City

23 Aug. 2013

1235981_494218054002170_1802477032_n.jpg

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has confirmed he will lead the Tokyo 2020 delegation to the IOC Host City election in Buenos Aires next month, announced today at the official departure ceremony with more than 800 Tokyo 2020 supporters.

The Bid marked the occasion by guaranteeing to deliver superb Games that will be a worldwide showcase of the importance and inspiration of sport. With Japan having witnessed the significant role athletes and sport can play in society over the past two years, Tokyo 2020 has underlined its strong plans to share that inspiration and promote the Olympic values in this challenging era for sport.

Prime Minister of Japan and Tokyo 2020 Supreme Advisor Shinzo Abe, said: “By each and every one of the 800 passionate Tokyo 2020 supporters in this room carrying out their responsibilities, I am hopeful that when the IOC makes their decision on September 7 in Buenos Aires we will witness Tokyo 2020’s victory. I will go to Buenos Aires as well.”

Tsunekazu Takeda Takeda, IOC Member and President of Tokyo 2020 and the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC), said: “We are honoured that Prime Minister Abe will lead our delegation to the IOC Session in Buenos Aires, which is a strong sign of how the whole of Japan is united behind and hugely passionate about our bid. The country is tremendously excited about our plans and we feel a great momentum continuing to build for our bid.

“Tokyo 2020 is the safe pair of hands that can be trusted to deliver superb Games in these uncertain times. Our global vision for the benefit of sport and the Olympic Movement is to use Tokyo 2020 to demonstrate the power of sport, capture the imagination of the world’s youngest continent and further spread this inspiration worldwide founded on the Olympic Values.

“Our Bid has strong and passionate public support and is united across all levels of government, sport and business, and is ready to deliver outstanding Games that will showcase the importance and inspirational power of sport.”

Along with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s declaration, the following Tokyo 2020 presentation delegation for the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session in Buenos Aires, Argentina, have been confirmed:

•Tsunekazu Takeda, IOC Member and President of both Tokyo 2020 and the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC)

•Naoki Inose, Tokyo 2020 Chairman and Governor of Tokyo

•Masato Mizuno, Tokyo 2020 CEO

•Mami Sato, Three-time Long-Jump Paralympian

•Chiharu Igaya, IOC Honorary Member

•Yuki Ota, Fencing double silver medallist

•Yuko Arakida, Montreal 1976 Volleyball Gold medallist and Tokyo 2020 Sport Director

•Christel Takigawa, ‘Cool Tokyo’ Ambassador

•Yukiko Arai, Tokyo 2020 International Relations Director

Reflecting the promise of hosting a Games of celebration, delivery and innovation to benefit athletes and sport worldwide, the wider Tokyo 2020 delegation includes a large number of leading athletes. They include:

•Mikako Kotani, Seoul 1988 Games Synchronised Swimming double bronze medallist

•Yuko Arimori, Barcelona 1992 Games Women’s Marathon silver medallist and Atlanta 1996 Games bronze medallist

•Ryosuke Irie, London 2012 Games both Men’s 200m Backstroke and 4x100 Medley Relay silver medallist and 100m Backstroke bronze medallist

•Hitomi Obara, London 2012 Games Women’s 48kg Freestyle Wrestling gold medallist

•Rie Tanaka, London 2012 Games Women’s Gymnast

During the two year bid campaign, many athletes have shown their support by serving as Tokyo 2020 Bid Ambassadors and have helped to create a truly athlete-focused Games plan, where 85 % of their venues will be within 8km of the Olympic Village that will be located in the heart of Tokyo’s vibrant city. They have also inspired millions of young people in Japan through their participation in many Tokyo 2020 public events.

Following the introduction of the Tokyo 2020 delegation, Bid leaders attended a gala send-off prior to their departure for Buenos Aires, joined by an enthusiastic group of Tokyo 2020 supporters, athletes, sport leaders and representatives from business, government and entertainment.

/\/\ Wow, 800 supporters -- that's at least one packed A380 (but you wouldn't fly everyone in ONE aircraft) or two full 747s. That's the biggest known number of supporters who have ever flown to an IOC site-selection Session. Am surprised they didn't go for 888 supporters -- just to really lock it in!! ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I just can't believe anybody thinks Japan should be doing anything but focusing on this:

And y do u think NO ONE is doing nothing about it? I guess the vaunted Japan which rose from a war-shattered state to become the #2 economy in the world for many decades is just sleeping at the wheel? :wacko:

I don’t think they are capable of multi tasking this one; they need to focus every possible recourse and dollar to stop the leaks. They have a crisis throughout the country because of this crippling nuclear threat. Have Zaha build a fancy dome to contain it if you want but this is getting farther and farther out of hand. Mark my words this is getting worse. There is a real possibility of meltdown still as they will be trying to remove the rods at some point. This THING is not getting better it’s getting worse.

Were not posting OLD news stories here these are all breaking coverage as this disaster spins farther and farther out of control, and we find out more and more about the cover-ups, incompetence and missteps of the Japanese government and TEPCO.

Then these lamo TOKYO 2020 leaders have the balls to come out and say “No problem for Tokyo 2020”…….seriously. FU Japan.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but Paul has a point.

The scope of this disaster and the potential damage to the world's largest ocean is terrifying.

Fukushima is NOT over.

The scale of this frightens me. Japan does not feel like the right place to host the world's biggest sporting event in seven years time. It really doesn't.

That worries me because I believe Tokyo is the favorite right now. The IOC could find themselves with far bigger troubles than what they're getting from Sochi and Rio. FAR bigger.

^If that's the case, then it doesn't matter who gets 2020, since this is a global issue, really. Natural disasters can happen anywhere. This could easily have been a California power plant that could've been crippled by an Earthquake. Who's to say how the U.S. would handle a similar situation, especially when cities like L.A. & San Diego are eager to go after the Olympics..

Not sure I agree. You can't prevent disasters, but you can mitigate them. You can develop good containment strategies.

I'm not necessarily saying Tokyo will be unsafe. I'm saying Japan has culpability -- particularly when it comes to cleanup and containment. Radiation is not something you can sweep under the rug.

It certainly is possible, however, that Tokyo will be contaminated in a significant way. Just because the impact of this disaster is broad does not mean the whole globe is equally unsafe.

What I think is that some of the people that oppose the bid because of the power plant problems (saying some meaning really not a lot) believe that it could have been fixed within the time it has been since it happened. I agree that it is definitely a problem that they should be focusing on more than they have been, but it's not like they can just stop the radiation. It happened because of a natural disaster that they could have not prevented. They could have made the plants more prepared for a quake, but they wouldn't know how strong it might be. If everyone and everywhere in Japan were buckled down, waiting for the next earthquake, nothing would get done. So even though they are going for the bid, it will only take up 7-8 years of the decades, possibly centuries that the government will be working on fixing the plant leakages and containing the radiation. I also imagine that the government will act like, "Here's the Olympics. Let's not do anything except these for the next 7 years". They will be working on the problem leading up to the Olympics, during the Olympics, and after the Olympics. Even though it might not seem like they are doing a lot (which they are not), being patient with them is the best course of action. After all, they haven't dealt with such a large aftermath from a quake before so they don't really know what to do.

I also imagine that the government will act like, "Here's the Olympics. Let's not do anything except these for the next 7 years".

Meant to say, "I also imagine that the government will not act like, "Here's the Olympics. Let's not do anything except for the next 7 years."

But of course it was much worse. Did anyone really was so innocent to believe that the magnitude of the radiation, after the worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl, was insignificant?). What pisses me off so much is that the Japanese Government is lying to us and tries to "hide the sun with one finger" (a phrase we use here in my country when one tries to hide the truth no matter how obvious it is) in order to get more votes for their bid. I was kinda supportive of Tokyo because it seemed like the most stable and secure bid, but now I dunno if support a bid which has little regard for ecology and the consequences of Fukushima.

At this point I'm starting to think none of the three bids is safe. Madrid suffering of a crippled economy and a doping scandal, Istanbul suffering of a totalitarian PM, Tokyo still suffering the effects of Fukushima...it seems to me that whoever wins there will be scandals one way or another.

• Like 2

Radioactive groundwater nears Pacific: Japan down plays Fukushima crisis

August 24, 2013 Examiner.com

A former Japanese ambassador calls for Tokyo to withdraw its bid to host the Olympics over the crisis, along with the Tokyo Electric Power Company's inability to handle this problem.

General Ban Ki-moon, Mitsuhei Murata, the former ambassador from Japan to Switzerland, penned a letter to UN Secretary stressing that the radiation figures coming from Tokyo Electric Power Company could not be trusted. He also expressed his fear that this crisis is seeing a nonchalant approach in Japan and abroad toward this crisis. They are not taking this with the seriousness it deserves, as this is a dangerous situation.

But of course it was much worse. Did anyone really was so innocent to believe that the magnitude of the radiation, after the worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl, was insignificant?). What pisses me off so much is that the Japanese Government is lying to us and tries to "hide the sun with one finger" (a phrase we use here in my country when one tries to hide the truth no matter how obvious it is) in order to get more votes for their bid. I was kinda supportive of Tokyo because it seemed like the most stable and secure bid, but now I dunno if support a bid which has little regard for ecology and the consequences of Fukushima.

EXACTLY.

It's been TEN minutes already since the last "End of the World" bulletins from either paul or le trolle Jean Finel. What no latest readings or warnings? C'mon guys, u're sleeping on the job!!

We need these every 5-minute warnings...otherwise, no one will believe ya!! :angry:

I'm busy at the AC park, ran into friends, too many beers to care about Japan pissing all their nuclear **** on us, gotta stay drunk to forget about the end of life scenario they are building for us! I don't care who hosts 2020 at this point. If it's Japan it'll be interesting to see the IOC trying to deal with total nuclear meltdown that is still a real possibility in FUkashima.

Edited by paul