Tokyo 2020 Bid News

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have this amazing propensity to rewrite reality to support your personal desired outcome. It looks to me that Tokyo's had a very successful visit so far.

But of course it was much worse. Did anyone really was so innocent to believe that the magnitude of the radiation, after the worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl, was insignificant?). What pisses me

Why fear? Radiation level in Tokyo is one of the LOWEST out of ALL other major capital cities. If you don't want Tokyo to win the bid that's totally understandable but please state facts and not fear

Roger, I believe you're referring to the BP spill. BP is a British company.

There's plenty of blame to go around. Yes, accidents happen. Yes, the Japanese should've been much better prepared and yes the fallout from Fukushima is tragic. Should all of that result in denying Tokyo the Games? Probably not. In my opinion, the real problem with Japan's bid is that it seems to be about ego and nothing else. I still don't see a great reason to award them the Games.

Mistake - It was during Obama administration.

typical

oh snap

...well, when Japan starts producing 3 legged sprinters THEN you'll be sorry.

i think this story might get bigger again, then the Japanese can come out like Pistanbul and tell us how this helps their bid.

If they do that, the Spaniards will demand a meltdown of their own to brag about.

In my opinion, the real problem with Japan's bid is that it seems to be about ego and nothing else. I still don't see a great reason to award them the Games.

Oh, & how is that any different from Spain's own "ego" trip. It seems that all they really wanna do is finally just outdo their Catalonian neighbors. I also see no great reason to award them the Games, either.

For what it's worth right now, I still think that Istanbul is the one that should get these Games. But if I had to chose between the other two, I chose Tokyo over the "austerity package", most recently hosted out of the lot.

Oh, & how is that any different from Spain's own "ego" trip. It seems that all they really wanna do is finally just outdo their Catalonian neighbors. I also see no great reason to award them the Games, either.

For what it's worth right now, I still think that Istanbul is the one that should get these Games. But if I had to chose between the other two, I chose Tokyo over the "austerity package", most recently hosted out of the lot.

It's no better than Spain. Never said it was. All three candidates are uninspiring. Istanbul had potential, but they frittered it away with their mismanagement of the protests.

At the end of the day, for all the high-minded idsels they attach to their pitches - "We want to bring the world together", "We're doing it for the kids", "we want to bring the ideals of Olympism to our part of the world" - anybody bidding for the games is really only doing it for the vanity.

• Like 1

There's plenty of blame to go around. Yes, accidents happen. Yes, the Japanese should've been much better prepared and yes the fallout from Fukushima is tragic. Should all of that result in denying Tokyo the Games? Probably not. In my opinion, the real problem with Japan's bid is that it seems to be about ego and nothing else. I still don't see a great reason to award them the Games.

thanks for the aclaration. And spot on the comment

...well, when Japan starts producing 3 legged sprinters THEN you'll be sorry.

:rolleyes:

Now, we have another end of the world announcer

At the end of the day, for all the high-minded idsels they attach to their pitches - "We want to bring the world together", "We're doing it for the kids", "we want to bring the ideals of Olympism to our part of the world" - anybody bidding for the games is really only doing it for the vanity.

It reminds me of how The Simpsons parodied this in an episode that aired around the time of the Salt Lake bribery scandal, where Springfield loses its Olympic bid to Shelbyville. The song sung to welcome the IOC to Springfield is "The Children are our Future" - maybe this is where Seb Coe got his ideas for London's bid? :rolleyes:

Like USA damage the Gulf of Mexico for the accident and show incompetence -Using your own values- and create a biological bomb. Maybe as a Mexican I need to reclaim Bush and co. for this damage.

Roger corrected his Bush reference, but maybe he shouldn't have. Judging from the official report the term "BP spill" is not entirely correct. One word:

Halliburton

Roger corrected his Bush reference, but maybe he shouldn't have. Judging from the official report the term "BP spill" is not entirely correct. One word:

Halliburton

Talk about twisting the truth. You just can't bear to hear a single bad word about your beloved UK, can you? Pushing the blame off on Halliburton? Good grief.

As we are just learning now, apparently Halliburton has some culpability and they are being taken to task for it. That doesn't get BP out of the hot seat though.

Judging from the official report the term "BP spill" is not entirely correct. One word:

Halliburton

Talk about twisting the truth. You just can't bear to hear a single bad word about your beloved UK, can you? Pushing the blame off on Halliburton? Good grief.

What part of my words "not entirely" was incomprehensible?

And why was Halliburton's destruction of evidence relating to the underlying managerial causes of the problem treated merely as a misdemeanour?

I don't have all the facts, but If you haven't noticed there are plenty of people, including John McCain who are challenging the Justice Department on this.

Regardless, it is still apples and oranges. Yes, accidents happen everywhere and there's always plenty of blame to go around. However, the government has culpability with the Fukushima disaster and cleanup. Private entities caused the BP spill. The US government pulled out all the stops to try to address the disaster. Now there are those who are challenging what seems far too light a slap on the wrist for Halliburton. This is how democracy works. What's the issue?

I'm not sure what your point is, Snow, or what comment you are trying to make about Tokyo 2020. It seems to me you just pulled apart an accurate parenthetical statement of mine solely because you are worried about the UK's reputation.

Back to Tokyo, please.

It seems to me you just pulled apart an accurate parenthetical statement of mine solely because you are worried about the UK's reputation.

Back to Tokyo, please.

I pulled apart a partially-accurate statement of yours because such misleading "information" is regrettably common on these forums.

As for Tokyo; something a whole lot worse would have to happen at Fukushima before it became a serious issue for a Japanese Olympics.

I think taht the Fukushima problem is not the natural accident but the subsequent uncontrolled nuclear material handling which is demonstrated in discharges to sea. Japanese government will have to spend much money on fix these problem, which is more important to celebrate the Games

I think taht the Fukushima problem is not the natural accident but the subsequent uncontrolled nuclear material handling which is demonstrated in discharges to sea. Japanese government will have to spend much money on fix these problem, which is more important to celebrate the Games

Hey moneybags- Why don't you dig into your deep Spanish pockets and donate some cash to the Japanese if you feel so strongly about it?

• Like 1

Hey moneybags- Why don't you dig into your deep Spanish pockets and donate some cash to the Japanese if you feel so strongly about it?

Or maybe Turkey and Spain needs to resolve other relevant problems -Cuts in social services, unemployement, lack of civil rights, violence and social riots- instead making an Olympic Games.

If that's the case, maybe we need to forget these type of events.

Or maybe Turkey and Spain needs to resolve other relevant problems -Cuts in social services, unemployement, lack of civil rights, violence and social riots- instead making an Olympic Games.

If that's the case, maybe we need to forget these type of events.

Or we could just stage the Olympics forever in a utopian bio dome in Swedish tundra, where nothing bad ever happens, ever.

• Like 1

Hi, all. This is my first post on the forum. B)

I am completely convinced that nuclear radiation won't affect the Tokyo 2020 bid, or, if it succeeds, the 2020 Summer Olympic Games. I have not looked into it in much detail, but it seems to me if 37 million people can coexist relatively peacefully for years on end without everyone suddenly sprouting extra arms, then a month in Tokyo for the athletes isn't going to be a problem. Chernobyl radiation is probably just as much of a factor for the Sochi Olympics as Fukushima radiation is for Tokyo 2020, by my count.

• Like 1

Hi, all. This is my first post on the forum. B)

if 37 million people can coexist relatively peacefully for years on end without everyone suddenly sprouting extra arms...

Well, welcome Beck.

Now, which '...37 million...' have you singled out that is germane to the subject? Japan has 127 million; Turkey is 72 million +; and Spain is supposedly 47 million. So...???

Well, welcome Beck.

Now, which '...37 million...' have you singled out that is germane to the subject? Japan has 127 million; Turkey is 72 million +; and Spain is supposedly 47 million. So...???

It's 35,682,460, my bad. ;) I'm referring to the Kantō Major Metropolitan Area, which is essentially the exact same as the 23 "special wards", which are Chiba, Yokahama, Kawasaki, et cetera.