Tokyo 2020 Bid News

gotosy

Well, it's not like Spain has a good "why", either. The only one that could really play that card here is Istanbul.

Although, even in their case it's a bit watered down. They're not located in a continent thats never hosted. They're not a "traditional sports" nation that's never hosted. And they're not a heavy-populated nation, like China or India, that's never hosted.

The primary argument that they have is the "straddle of two continents" & the first Middle Eastern nation to host. Which may or may not be enough this time around.

"But as we step back and look at the picture, there’s still something missing. That’s the “why” of the Tokyo 2020 bid.

Pressed in questions from the media, Tokyo 2020 Olympic bid leaders struggle to find a defining message that carries an emotional appeal. Even in a one-on-one interview (set for publishing by ATR March 12) Inose failed to deliver a reason to vote for Tokyo besides its admiral physical assets.

While it’s one thing to have an inventory of 80,000 rooms ready to go or a transport system that needs few changes to host the Olympics, convincing the IOC usually takes some tugs at the heart strings along with the facts and figures.

Tokyo needs to be wary, as does Madrid, of Istanbul, which so far seems poised to make the most of its emotional appeal: first Games in an iconic crossroads of the world, an inspiration to the majority youth population of Turkey. Japan, as the prime minister noted to the IOC commission, is an ageing society."

Source

Can you both clear inbox regardless thanks.

I'm still not convinced that Tokyo doesn't have a why? aspect to their bid.

There is obviously a fine line to walk when it comes to incorporating the tsunami into the bid, but coming from a country that has had a major disaster with a sporting event following - it can't help but to spur the nation on and restore alot of positivity .

It happened with the RWC, it was the medicine the nation needed, while at the same time not making the event trivial.

It shouldn't be shoved down the throat of the world, but the reality is that the earthquake/tsunami is something which is part of Japan now, no different to the horrid racially divided past of South Africa or virginal territory of South America.

Having been touched by the Japanese when holidaying there just a couple of months after the tsunami, the courage and humbleness of the Japanese people really did strike me as being very special.

I think all that adds up to a great contributing reason for a Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

• Like 1

i'm still not getting why should tokyo get the bid. with the tsunami aside. what is the appeal of tokyo 2020? london has inspire a generation, Beijing has the 'look-at-us-we-can-crush-you-all-like-ants' feel, Athens had its history with the Olympic games, sydney had the millennium games and Atlanta had 100 year celebration of the Olympics movement. so what the 'bite' for tokyo 2020?

What's the appeal of any of the 2020 bidders. Tokyo is still one of the greatest metropolises' in the world. And I'm sure that they would stage great Games.

And while Atlana & Sydney hosted the centennial & millennium Games, those "pitches" weren't host city specific, since ANY of the 1996 & 2000 candidates would've had the same title. And besides, even though Atlanta hosted the "centennial" Games, what good did that do them anyway when those aren't well-revered Games on the global scale. Tokyo 2020 has the potential of being spectacular Games, just like Beijing & London were.

• Like 2

I'm still not convinced that Tokyo doesn't have a why? aspect to their bid.

There is obviously a fine line to walk when it comes to incorporating the tsunami into the bid, but coming from a country that has had a major disaster with a sporting event following - it can't help but to spur the nation on and restore alot of positivity .

It happened with the RWC, it was the medicine the nation needed, while at the same time not making the event trivial.

It shouldn't be shoved down the throat of the world, but the reality is that the earthquake/tsunami is something which is part of Japan now, no different to the horrid racially divided past of South Africa or virginal territory of South America.

Having been touched by the Japanese when holidaying there just a couple of months after the tsunami, the courage and humbleness of the Japanese people really did strike me as being very special.

I think all that adds up to a great contributing reason for a Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

The difference is that New Zealand faced its tragedy when the bulk of the RWC 2011 preparation was done, the bid had been won years ago. Yes, the disaster is part of Japan's story, but I'm not sure its really the same as South Africa's apartheid, or other, long standing, nation defining characteristics.

While there are obviously huge logistical perks in Tokyo's bid, I do think that removing the 2011 disaster from the picture, it is left without much of a compelling narrative. I think that is what intoronto was trying to articulate. If people are so eager to find and accept this alone as 'the' drawcard reason for Tokyo 2020 - I can't help but feel a blind eye is being drawn to the immense weight of history behind my own 2020 favourite - Istanbul. You all want narrative, look no further than the history of Turkey.

At the expensive of sounding callous, major disasters happen. They are devastating and they tend to bring out the best in humanity. We saw that in Japan and Christchurch in 2011, around the world after Boxing Day 2004, and in Turkey in 1999, when 17,000 perished in the Izmit quake. But I'm still uncomfortable with the idea of it forming the crux of the emotional narrative behind a bid.

"

Tokyo needs to be wary, as does Madrid, of Istanbul, which so far seems poised to make the most of its emotional appeal: first Games in an iconic crossroads of the world, an inspiration to the majority youth population of Turkey. Japan, as the prime minister noted to the IOC commission, is an ageing society."

Source

Can you both clear inbox regardless thanks.

Sorry, intoronto, I hadn't read this post of yours before posting this a few minutes ago. This quote summarises quite well the point I was trying to make.

Don't get me wrong, I can see Istanbul faces a tough battle ahead with Tokyo (I don't really see Madrid as being a realistic threat), Tokyo has the logistical advantage, and it is an exciting, global city for the 21st century, but I don't think we can underestimate the emotive power behind what the Istanbul bid symbolises. It's more than just Istanbul. An Istanbul Olympics has the power to personally mean something to hundreds of millions around the world, through its strong sense of place and identity.

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota becomes Newest Tokyo 2020 Bid Partner Automotive giant joins growing list of major corporations backing Tokyo

Toyota Motor Corporation, the world’s largest automaker, today became the 17th Official Bid Partner to cement its financial muscle to Tokyo’s bid to deliver a dynamic celebration in the heart of the world’s most forward-thinking and best-organised city.

Tsunekazu Takeda, IOC member and President of both the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) and Tokyo 2020, said: “We are thrilled to receive the support of Toyota, one of the most globally recognised corporations, as the 17th official Tokyo 2020 Bid Partner. It is an honour to have such a respected company associated with our campaign. I very much look forward to working with Toyota, as well as other future partners who share our goal of welcoming the world to Tokyo for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.”

Tokyo 2020

Tokyo 2020 Olympic bid committee failing to meet private funding goals

KYODO

MAR 30, 2013

The managing director for Tokyo’s bid to host the 2020 Summer Olympics said earlier this week that private funding for the bid effort was falling far short of its target.

Bidding for the Games was expected to cost ¥7.5 billion, and it was anticipated that ¥3.8 billion of that be raised through private donations. Masato Mizuno, the managing director of the bid committee, however, indicated that less than half of that amount had been raised so far.

Tokyo is competing with Madrid and Istanbul to host the 2020 Games with the winning bid to be decided by the International Olympic Committee in September.

“By September, we want to raise ¥3.8 billion,” one of bid committee members said.

The committee is looking at other ways of raising money, including increasing its target for sponsorship contracts.

Tokyo spent ¥15 billion on its failed bid to host the 2016 Games and ended in the red worth ¥690 million.