Tokyo 2020 Bid News

gotosy

Govt to help set stage for 80,000 Games volunteers
December 17, 2013The Yomiuri Shimbun

An estimated 80,000 volunteers will be needed to help the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics run smoothly, and the government plans to soon start helping people willing to lend a hand to the sporting extravaganzas.

After conducting a survey on volunteers at sporting events at home and abroad in fiscal 2014, the government plans to establish a “volunteer bank” in fiscal 2015 at the earliest, in which people interested in working as volunteers are registered by region and dispatched to events.

According to the Tokyo metropolitan government, which will establish an organizing committee for the 2020 Games, about 10 million Japanese and visitors from overseas are expected to visit Tokyo during the Olympic and Paralympic Games. The number of volunteers needed is expected to exceed the 60,000 to 70,000 that helped at the London Games in 2012.

Because delegations from other nations will have training camps in regional areas before the Games, some volunteers also will be needed outside Tokyo.

Volunteers will be needed as ushers, guides, interpreters, assistants for security personnel and scorekeepers, ticket checkers and cleaning crews.

The Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Ministry will study in fiscal 2014 how volunteers at major international sports events abroad, including the London Olympics, were used. It will also survey individuals and groups that have taken part as volunteers at sporting events in Japan, with the aim of having as many of them participate in the Tokyo Games as possible.

In addition, the ministry plans to compile a guidebook introducing necessary skills, training programs and how to manage volunteers, and distribute it to local governments across the nation. The government plans to include in its fiscal 2014 draft budget about ¥50 million for such projects.

An organizing committee for the 2020 Games, expected to be launched by February, will likely begin inviting applications in fiscal 2018 for volunteering in the Games and help train them.

An estimated 8 million people per year volunteer in sporting events organized by local communities and groups in Japan.

According to a 2012 survey by Sasakawa Sports Foundation, 7.7 percent of 2,000 surveyed adults had worked as volunteers at sporting events within the past year. As this figure is about half of the 14.8 percent of people who said they wanted to volunteer, the government plans to create a more supportive environment to enable more people to offer their time and services.

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0000877659

• Like 1

Govt to help set stage for 80,000 Games volunteers

December 17, 2013The Yomiuri Shimbun

An estimated 80,000 volunteers will be needed to help the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics run smoothly, and the government plans to soon start helping people willing to lend a hand to the sporting extravaganzas.

After conducting a survey on volunteers at sporting events at home and abroad in fiscal 2014, the government plans to establish a “volunteer bank” in fiscal 2015 at the earliest, in which people interested in working as volunteers are registered by region and dispatched to events.

According to the Tokyo metropolitan government, which will establish an organizing committee for the 2020 Games, about 10 million Japanese and visitors from overseas are expected to visit Tokyo during the Olympic and Paralympic Games. The number of volunteers needed is expected to exceed the 60,000 to 70,000 that helped at the London Games in 2012.

Because delegations from other nations will have training camps in regional areas before the Games, some volunteers also will be needed outside Tokyo.

Volunteers will be needed as ushers, guides, interpreters, assistants for security personnel and scorekeepers, ticket checkers and cleaning crews.

The Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Ministry will study in fiscal 2014 how volunteers at major international sports events abroad, including the London Olympics, were used. It will also survey individuals and groups that have taken part as volunteers at sporting events in Japan, with the aim of having as many of them participate in the Tokyo Games as possible.

In addition, the ministry plans to compile a guidebook introducing necessary skills, training programs and how to manage volunteers, and distribute it to local governments across the nation. The government plans to include in its fiscal 2014 draft budget about ¥50 million for such projects.

An organizing committee for the 2020 Games, expected to be launched by February, will likely begin inviting applications in fiscal 2018 for volunteering in the Games and help train them.

An estimated 8 million people per year volunteer in sporting events organized by local communities and groups in Japan.

According to a 2012 survey by Sasakawa Sports Foundation, 7.7 percent of 2,000 surveyed adults had worked as volunteers at sporting events within the past year. As this figure is about half of the 14.8 percent of people who said they wanted to volunteer, the government plans to create a more supportive environment to enable more people to offer their time and services.

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0000877659

I will deffiently be signing up for that. I am from London, England but a 3 week volunteering program is excellent. Hopefully I get picked.

80,000 people for volunteers in mid-summer...they all have to take care of health.

I will hopefully be visiting Tokyo in 2020 for volunteering.

But it's generally organized by local Tokyoite?

The Article states that they will also allow people around the World to become Volunteers, like we did with London 2012.

Oh I did missed the part or simply skipped it. Great of you to come to Tokyo,Japan ;) ! And the poster of the article,whose name is gotosy has lived in Japan and he can understand and type Japanese decently.

I know people who have been to Japan and it is a lovely place and I would be honoured to enter.

I know people who have been to Japan and it is a lovely place and I would be honoured to enter.

You come from London so it will be easy for you to get used to the place ;). I'm now planning to take photo shots of Tokyo's footsteps towards 2020 SOG.I hope to show it to the public.

You come from London so it will be easy for you to get used to the place ;). I'm now planning to take photo shots of Tokyo's footsteps towards 2020 SOG.I hope to show it to the public.

Yep a big city I have lived in London and from London all my life so I know no different so Tokyo is similar. The flight length I think is 16 Hours?

Yep a big city I have lived in London and from London all my life so I know no different so Tokyo is similar. The flight length I think is 16 Hours?

I googled and the resluts said it takes about 12hrs and half(Heathrow-Tokyo). In summer it will take a little bit longer due to the revolve of the globe or something...

I googled and the resluts said it takes about 12hrs and half(Heathrow-Tokyo). In summer it will take a little bit longer due to the revolve of the globe or something...

Its a sacrifice I am prepared to take. See you there.

JOC says Tokyo 2020 preparations remain focused

TOKYO (AP) Japanese Olympic Committee President Tsunekazu Takeda says Tokyo's 2020 Olympic preparations remain focused despite the resignation of the city's governor Naoki Inose.

Inose, who played a major role in Tokyo successful bid to host the 2020 Olympics, resigned Thursday after revelations that he received a 50 million yen loan ($480,200) from a scandal-tainted hospital company.

Takeda said "Tokyo 2020's immediate focus remains firmly on finalizing the establishment of the organizing committee to ensure the successful delivery of the games."

While Inose played a positive role in the Olympic bid, he came under fire in April for suggesting rival Istanbul was less developed and less equipped to host the games than the Japanese capital.

Takeda called Inose a "fervent and enthusiastic supporter" of Tokyo's bid.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11175380&ref=rss

Good for that. Potential contenders for the next governon?

The only thing I can say for now is that "unlikely Ishihara" :lol: ! He's already retired and he got stroke maybe about 2 years ago....Inose could avoid the worst things for him on his resignation but I'm ashamed of him.He said in Buenos Aires "Tokyo is safe...your cash will be surely back to you even if you lose your purse in Tokyo." :lol:

Speed skater Hashimoto on early list of Tokyo Governor candidates as fears of impact on 2020 preparations grow

December 23 - Seiko Hashimoto, a former speed skater and cyclist who competed at seven Olympic Games, is being touted as a potential candidate to be the next Governor of Tokyo as urgency to make an appointment grows for the sake of preparations for Tokyo 2020.

After being in office for barely a year, Naoki Inose resigned lastn Thursday (December 19) following his involvement in a corruption scandal after he illegally accepted a loan from hospital group Tokushukai.

Inose belatedly resigned to avoid "stalling preparations" for 2020 any longer but after a month long feud since the allegations first surfaced it seems inevitable that the formation of the Olympic and Paralympic Games Organising Committee has already been delayed.

Whoever is appointed to succeed Inose will be immediately under pressure to resume these preparations and, amid much speculation, Hashimoto's name is on a lengthy list of early potential candidates.

After a sporting career highlighted by a bronze medal at Albertville 1992 in the 1500 metres speed skating, the 49-year old was elected to the House of Councillors in 1995 and has since served in a variety of roles as part of the ruling Liberal Democrat Party (LDP).

Tokyo has never had a female Governor but, after Prime Minister Shinzo Abe pledged to expand opportunities for women in the workforce, Defence Minister Yuriko Koike and newscaster-turned-politician Tamayo Marukawa are two other potential female replacements.

Other names in the frame include the Minister in charge of the Olympic Games, Hakubun Shimomura, and Environment Minister Nobuteru Ishihara, the son of Inose's equally controversial predecessor as Governor Shintaro Ishihara.

The incoming Governor will have to immediately delve into reviewing ¥10.3 billion ($98.9 million/£61 billion/€72 billion) in proposed Olympics-related funding before sending the draft budget to the City Assembly in February.

After criticisms both of its size and cost, negotiations with the Central Government over the funding and construction of the New National Stadium appears another pressing issue.

Parties have around two weeks to finalise their candidates before a by-election expected to take place early in February.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) remain confident that preparations remain on course.

"The Organising Committee should be established during the five months following the election of the city at the IOC Session, as this is part of the agreement between the host city, the National Olympic Committee and the IOC," an IOC statement to Kyodo News insisted.

"At this point in time, we have no reason to believe that this will not be the case in Tokyo."

It has been announced Tokyo Vice-Governor Toshiyuki Akiyama will fill the void to takeover these Olympic and Paralympic preparations on a temporary basis until the new Governor is appointed.

This was confirmed by Shimomura, together with bid leader, and Japanese Olympic Committee President, Tsunekazu Takeda.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2020/1017557-speed-skater-hashimoto-on-early-list-of-tokyo-governor-candidates-as-fears-of-impact-on-2020-preparations-grow

ATR reports:

-Japan will invest $181.2 billion in sports development in 100 countries next year

I heard our government plans to depatch leaders in developing countries and to rend or give tools for sports at low cost. Good for both people.

ATR reports:

-A recent report says there is a 70% chance of an earthquake hitting Tokyo, and that they are speeding up plans for evacuation during the Olympics.

:blink: ? The buildings should be constructed under the strict laws to be bearable for the big quakes. I'm not worried about this very much.

http://youtu.be/NisWbAXfyWI

Tokyo's iconic Tsukiji fish market to be moved ahead of Olympic Games

237524-3x2-700x467.jpg

The world's largest fish market is being moved as Tokyo gets a facelift ahead of the 2020 Olympic Games.

The Tsukiji Fish Market is a famous landmark in the Japanese capital, and has sat in the same spot for eight decades.

From mackerel to minke whale, shellfish to squid, the market is a shrine to seafood in all its shapes, sizes and spurting glory.

"This place is the kitchen of the 10 million people of Tokyo. It's central to Japan's culture of eating seafood," stallholder Toshio Awatake said.

Despite being spread over 20 hectares, the ageing market is growing ever more congested and crowded.

"I think many people here want to stay. But the facility is old and growing more unhygienic, and hygiene is vital to Japan’s safe food culture," stallholder Naohide Kametani said.

In the next few years Tsukiji will be shifted out of the centre of the city to a new site on a manufactured island in Tokyo bay.

Every year it handles half-a-billion tonnes of seafood and generates more than $20 billion dollars in revenue.

Shifting it spells bad news for the thousands of restaurants and businesses outside the market's main gate.

There is one major problem with the proposed move - the new site for the market used to be home to a refinery, and the land is contaminated.

But Mr Kametani is not put off.

"They're dealing with the soil contamination, and I don't think it'll affect the fish. It'll be a good, new market," the stallholder said.

There are other pressures to move. with the Tsukiji market sitting on prime real estate in central Tokyo worth billions of dollars.

Developers want to replace it with high-rise apartment buildings, signalling the end of a unique way of life.

Radio Australia

A bit sad at that one. Tsukiji was one of those places that were a bit of a must to get up really early in the morning and go see if you were visiting Tokyo the first time. Great atmosphere - don't know if i would get the same sort of attraction status as a man-made island in the bay (even before industrial contamination).

Edited by Sir Rols

• 4 weeks later...