Tokyo 2020 Bid News

gotosy

much of which seems to be dominating world news this week

I don't know about "dominating" - a few mentions well back in the world pages of the newspapers. Syria and Miley Cyrus have had far more coverage if you ask me. Heck, even Ben Affleck as Batman is beating coverage of Fukushima. I find you have to actively search to find much mention of Fukushima.

Edited by Sir Rols

Japan official wants Fukushima operator Tepco to be liquidated-Reuters The operator of Japan's wrecked Fukushima nuclear station, Tokyo Electric Power Co, should be liquidated, as its failure to learn from its mistakes fuels insecurity, says the governor of a prefecture hosting another of the utility's atomic plants.

IAEA criticises Japan over Fukushima-Sky News The world's nuclear watchdog has urged Japan to explain more clearly what is happening at Fukushima and avoid sending 'confusing messages' about the disaster, the country's atomic regulator says.

Fukushima keeps on leaking, Japan keeps on issuing confusing explanations-Grist

Problems continue to burble up at Japan’s crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant — or, in this case, gush out.

Edited by paul

It's weirdly hypnotic and that tune is now stuck firmly in my head. Maybe that's what they're going for.

Your are glowing tiled....your eyerids are heavy...you are feering vely sreepy...vely, vely sreepy....you wirr vote for Tokyo....and back in the room!

I was coming to post this weird video here .. seems nobody like it at least here in the forums ..!

anyway this could be the last video from the Tokyo 2020 bid committee before the vote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuuV5hYbmSE&feature=c4-overview&list=UUZmWevG1egw-4bfptJWDz6Q

I was coming to post this weird video here .. seems nobody like it at least here in the forums ..!

anyway this could be the last video from the Tokyo 2020 bid committee before the vote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuuV5hYbmSE&feature=c4-overview&list=UUZmWevG1egw-4bfptJWDz6Q

I hope they do show it in Buenos Aires. It communicates VERY clearly.

Hey, it's catchy.

I felt like I was watching a parody of Gangnam Style.

A parody of a song which already happened to be a parody.

And I can't wait for the parody of THIS parody.

Ooh I was just thinking... Maybe they could perform this live next week!

20 August, 2013

Urgent appeal to Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon

Mitsuhei Murata
Former Japanese Ambassador to Switzerland

I am extremely worried about the lack of the sense of crisis in Japan and abroad, as regards the worsening situation at the Fukushima Daiichi. The international community is required to prevent the Fukushima accident from developing into the ultimate catastrophe of the world, a possibility the collapse of the Unit 4 by a mega earthquake could turn into a reality. It could happen at any moment!

Faced with this unprecedented crisis, the mobilization of human wisdom is required on the widest possible scale. The full assumption of responsibilities by the Japanese Government is urgently needed.

The present abnormal lack of the sense of crisis is due to the fact that inconvenient truth is not disclosed. The international community has the duty, for example, to grasp correctly the precise volume of the continuous release of radiation from Fukushima. In this connection, the official numbers published by Tepco, 10milliom BQ/H, unchanged for the last year and half, could hardly be trusted. They remain unchanged even after the revelation by Tepco that, since the accident in 2011, 400 tons of contaminated water daily leaked into the sea. Now the Government admits that 300 tons daily flow into the sea. The situation is worsening. And no solution in sight!

The so called international strategy to consider that Fukushima accident did not happen, as some papers writes, is doomed to failures. This strategy is evidenced by the continued promotion of nuclear reactors worldwide, and their restarting and exporting by Japan.. Even if it succeeds to hide the head, it cannot hide the tail that is the contamination of the ocean on a planetary scale. Conscientious citizens are now calling for the withdrawal of the invitation for Olympic games by Japan. Allow me to count on your understanding and support.

http://kurionet.web.fc2.com/kimoon20130820.html

http://kurionet.web.fc2.com/murata.html

m-murata@parkcity.ne.jp

I really don't mind the video, I guess it's very Japanese with the music being *Sukiyaki*.

If it was the only promo video it's bad, but it shows a different less polished side to the bid, showing a mobilization of the public (which it must be said has really worked this time round for Tokyo).

• Like 1

I really don't mind the video, I guess it's very Japanese with the music being *Sukiyaki*.

If it was the only promo video it's bad, but it shows a different less polished side to the bid, showing a mobilization of the public (which it must be said has really worked this time round for Tokyo).

I've come to agree with you. It's not that bad and part of having 2020 in Tokyo is appreciating a greater understanding of Japanese culture (or Turkish or Spanish culture). This video may have been intended for a Japanese audience anyway (as you mentioned, for the purpose of drumming up local support).

There are so many NEW and alarming contamination and confusion stories every day coming from Japan's Fukushima disaster. All you have to do is search Fukashima and you will see new and worse stories every day....it's escalating.

It’s relevant now and even MORE if they are to be elected host.

I think Japans 3 Radioactive Meltdowns at Fukushima,

-which are currently molten fuel pools,

-somewhere in the bottom of the cracked and damaged containment shells,

-and are being cooled by pouring millions of gallons of seawater over the mangeled wreckage,

-which is then stored in the tanks that are leaking,

-is a continuing problem for country,

-it’s capitol Tokyo,

-the Tokyo 2020 Olympic bid,

-and it’s future if they were to be elected,

-and most annoyingly the pacific ocean and the world.

The disaster is not resolved, contained, or safe. In it’s current state it is leaking significant radiation with no end in site or safe solution how to cool the destroyed reactors and all the melted fuel and rods that remain in the destroyed reactors.

...just imagine how exciting it'll be at games-time when there's (take your pick):

1.Total nuclear meltdown

2.Total financial meltdown

3.Total political meltdown

I would take a games set in technologically advanced nation that has a history of nuclear problems rather than one that can't even sustain it's economy.

There are so many NEW and alarming contamination and confusion stories every day coming from Japan's Fukushima disaster. All you have to do is search Fukashima and you will see new and worse stories every day....it's escalating.

It’s relevant now and even MORE if they are to be elected host.

I think Japans 3 Radioactive Meltdowns at Fukushima,

-which are currently molten fuel pools,

-somewhere in the bottom of the cracked and damaged containment shells,

-and are being cooled by pouring millions of gallons of seawater over the mangeled wreckage,

-which is then stored in the tanks that are leaking,

-is a continuing problem for country,

-it’s capitol Tokyo,

-the Tokyo 2020 Olympic bid,

-and it’s future if they were to be elected,

-and most annoyingly the pacific ocean and the world.

The disaster is not resolved, contained, or safe. In it’s current state it is leaking significant radiation with no end in site or safe solution how to cool the destroyed reactors and all the melted fuel and rods that remain in the destroyed reactors.

This could take the games away, BUT I'm sure Tokyo & Japan has plans to end this crisis.

20 August, 2013

Urgent appeal to Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon

Mitsuhei Murata

Former Japanese Ambassador to Switzerland

I am extremely worried about the lack of the sense of crisis in Japan and abroad, as regards the worsening situation at the Fukushima Daiichi. The international community is required to prevent the Fukushima accident from developing into the ultimate catastrophe of the world, a possibility the collapse of the Unit 4 by a mega earthquake could turn into a reality. It could happen at any moment!

Faced with this unprecedented crisis, the mobilization of human wisdom is required on the widest possible scale. The full assumption of responsibilities by the Japanese Government is urgently needed.

The present abnormal lack of the sense of crisis is due to the fact that inconvenient truth is not disclosed. The international community has the duty, for example, to grasp correctly the precise volume of the continuous release of radiation from Fukushima. In this connection, the official numbers published by Tepco, 10milliom BQ/H, unchanged for the last year and half, could hardly be trusted. They remain unchanged even after the revelation by Tepco that, since the accident in 2011, 400 tons of contaminated water daily leaked into the sea. Now the Government admits that 300 tons daily flow into the sea. The situation is worsening. And no solution in sight!

The so called international strategy to consider that Fukushima accident did not happen, as some papers writes, is doomed to failures. This strategy is evidenced by the continued promotion of nuclear reactors worldwide, and their restarting and exporting by Japan.. Even if it succeeds to hide the head, it cannot hide the tail that is the contamination of the ocean on a planetary scale. Conscientious citizens are now calling for the withdrawal of the invitation for Olympic games by Japan. Allow me to count on your understanding and support.

http://kurionet.web.fc2.com/kimoon20130820.html

http://kurionet.web.fc2.com/murata.html

m-murata@parkcity.ne.jp

Mitsuhei Murata Another Anti nuclear pro renewable energy agent fear mongering trying to smear the Tokyo2020 bid.

It is very sad that you have to resort to shameless lies, smear campaigns and personal vendettas to harm your nations Olympic 2020 bid.

Mitsuhei Murata is ONE person who has had a strong anti-nuclear stance for the last 50 years, I don't think his biased stance should be taken seriously when it comes to BALANCED opinion on nuclear energy or fukushima crisis...

TOKYO 2020 bid does not deserve to be slandered with LIES,HYSTERIA and misleading nuclear scare stories from fukushima.

I get the impression that anti-nuke pro "big oil" interests and nations who don't want Japan to win the bid are spreading FUD and lies to harm the Bid. kinda pathetic

Murata states scary sounding statistics BUT he fails to provide context. he does that because people will automatically assume nuclear doom..Mitsuhei-Murata NO CONTEXT is given, only scary HIGH numbers like ‘trillions’ of becquerels A becquerel is a very small tiny unit. It is one radioactive decay of an atom per second. Trillions has useful meaning only in context.

Yes I agree that Obviously The waterleaks need to be stopped but I've yet to see any credible suggestion that they present a serious threat to public safety, only “ZOMG Japan is’ doomed” fear stories. The contamination will be diluted in the Pacific Ocean posing ZERO harm, which does contain a rather large amount of water last time i looked , tritium will be dispersed in an enormous amount of water in the Pacific ocean the tritium release is a very minor issue..

why does Fukushima have ANY relevance to the olympic bid??Did you know Radiation levels in Tokyo Japan are LOWER than every other 2020 candidate city? FACT! PLEASE LOOK at the FACTS for yourself http://www.jnto.go.jp/eq/eng/04_recovery.htm#city

deaths resulted and predicted to die DIRECTLY from from fukushima radiation exposure = ZERO. FACT!

People forget that 20,000 people sadly died from the sickening tsunami in Japan on 311 but Nobody died from radiation leaks in Fukishima. The only radiation-related injuries were a couple of workers who got radiation burns on their shins and they had been wading around in the water on site all day as some of the first on the scene. They were kept in hospital overnight as a precaution and then discharged. That is it. More physical harm was done to people from ill-managed exodus such as evacuating elderly people and putting them in ill-suited temporary accommodation, etc. than from anything resulting from the nuclear power stations.

The initial radiation level warning wasn't even on maximum until the Japanese government raised it because they were being wrongly accused of not taking it seriously enough by the western media.

It’s overwhelming media hysteria from SOME segments of the press and very little scientific research indicates danger, whilst a lot indicates things are fine. I even read one alarming headline about how there are far fewer birds around Fukishima according to one scientific paper. I read the paper and there were no controls for other factors. So yes. Most of the people and all their discarded refuse, etc. has gone and so birds have less to feed on but the paper didn't say that. That's one example i am trying to get across that the fukushima disaster has been hijacked by anti nuclear supporters hyping minor stories and fabricating anti-Nuclear fear and hysteria.

The media has been filled with horror stories like that whilst the reality is that multiple nuclear reactors based on obsolete designs which were commissioned in the late 1960s early ‘70s, got hit by a massive earthquake followed by a tsunami and they still didn’t leak any significant radiation into the environment, nuclear energy was not the failure at Fukushima it was the flooded[by tsunami wave]non waterproof cummins diesel generators serving the crucial function of supplying electricity to cooling systems....

. The real story is that it is a testament to the safety of nuclear power, but of course stories of terror sell more papers and theres also people with agendas (e.g. renewable energy/ big oil ) who benefit from turning it into a horror story despite lack of evidence.

Sure – subjecting a township to radiation equivalent to being an airline pilot for a year is not great. But nor is it a terrible thing and its far better than either belching fossil fuels into the atmosphere and our lungs (and propping up nasty Middle-Eastern monarchies in order to get the fuel) and it’s better than plastering many hundreds of acres with subsidised twenty-story wind turbines which are the equivalent of one small compact nuclear powerstation, the fuel for which can be mined from such despotic countries as Australia and Canada.

Now queue posts from those who like to tout scary numbers without understanding what those numbers actually mean or who talk about nuclear waste in out-dated terms not understanding that the old reactor designs were intended to produce material for nuclear weapons as a by-product and that modern designs can re-process spent fuel leaving very little waste.

MY point is that the Fukushima issue has been wrongly hijacked by some less than desirable people/organisations in attempt to harm Tokyo 2020 chances to win the bid at the upcoming IOC conference.

• Like 1

Mitsuhei Murata Another Anti nuclear pro renewable energy agent fear mongering trying to smear the Tokyo2020 bid.

It is very sad that you have to resort to shameless lies, smear campaigns and personal vendettas to harm your nations Olympic 2020 bid.

Mitsuhei Murata is ONE person who has had a strong anti-nuclear stance for the last 50 years, I don't think his biased stance should be taken seriously when it comes to BALANCED opinion on nuclear energy or fukushima crisis...

TOKYO 2020 bid does not deserve to be slandered with LIES,HYSTERIA and misleading nuclear scare stories from fukushima.

I get the impression that anti-nuke pro "big oil" interests and nations who don't want Japan to win the bid are spreading FUD and lies to harm the Bid. kinda pathetic

Murata states scary sounding statistics BUT he fails to provide context. he does that because people will automatically assume nuclear doom..Mitsuhei-Murata NO CONTEXT is given, only scary HIGH numbers like ‘trillions’ of becquerels A becquerel is a very small tiny unit. It is one radioactive decay of an atom per second. Trillions has useful meaning only in context.

Yes I agree that Obviously The waterleaks need to be stopped but I've yet to see any credible suggestion that they present a serious threat to public safety, only “ZOMG Japan is’ doomed” fear stories. The contamination will be diluted in the Pacific Ocean posing ZERO harm, which does contain a rather large amount of water last time i looked , tritium will be dispersed in an enormous amount of water in the Pacific ocean the tritium release is a very minor issue..

why does Fukushima have ANY relevance to the olympic bid??Did you know Radiation levels in Tokyo Japan are LOWER than every other 2020 candidate city? FACT! PLEASE LOOK at the FACTS for yourself http://www.jnto.go.jp/eq/eng/04_recovery.htm#city

deaths resulted and predicted to die DIRECTLY from from fukushima radiation exposure = ZERO. FACT!

People forget that 20,000 people sadly died from the sickening tsunami in Japan on 311 but Nobody died from radiation leaks in Fukishima. The only radiation-related injuries were a couple of workers who got radiation burns on their shins and they had been wading around in the water on site all day as some of the first on the scene. They were kept in hospital overnight as a precaution and then discharged. That is it. More physical harm was done to people from ill-managed exodus such as evacuating elderly people and putting them in ill-suited temporary accommodation, etc. than from anything resulting from the nuclear power stations.

The initial radiation level warning wasn't even on maximum until the Japanese government raised it because they were being wrongly accused of not taking it seriously enough by the western media.

It’s overwhelming media hysteria from SOME segments of the press and very little scientific research indicates danger, whilst a lot indicates things are fine. I even read one alarming headline about how there are far fewer birds around Fukishima according to one scientific paper. I read the paper and there were no controls for other factors. So yes. Most of the people and all their discarded refuse, etc. has gone and so birds have less to feed on but the paper didn't say that. That's one example i am trying to get across that the fukushima disaster has been hijacked by anti nuclear supporters hyping minor stories and fabricating anti-Nuclear fear and hysteria.

The media has been filled with horror stories like that whilst the reality is that multiple nuclear reactors based on obsolete designs which were commissioned in the late 1960s early ‘70s, got hit by a massive earthquake followed by a tsunami and they still didn’t leak any significant radiation into the environment, nuclear energy was not the failure at Fukushima it was the flooded[by tsunami wave]non waterproof cummins diesel generators serving the crucial function of supplying electricity to cooling systems....

. The real story is that it is a testament to the safety of nuclear power, but of course stories of terror sell more papers and theres also people with agendas (e.g. renewable energy/ big oil ) who benefit from turning it into a horror story despite lack of evidence.

Sure – subjecting a township to radiation equivalent to being an airline pilot for a year is not great. But nor is it a terrible thing and its far better than either belching fossil fuels into the atmosphere and our lungs (and propping up nasty Middle-Eastern monarchies in order to get the fuel) and it’s better than plastering many hundreds of acres with subsidised twenty-story wind turbines which are the equivalent of one small compact nuclear powerstation, the fuel for which can be mined from such despotic countries as Australia and Canada.

Now queue posts from those who like to tout scary numbers without understanding what those numbers actually mean or who talk about nuclear waste in out-dated terms not understanding that the old reactor designs were intended to produce material for nuclear weapons as a by-product and that modern designs can re-process spent fuel leaving very little waste.

MY point is that the Fukushima issue has been wrongly hijacked by some less than desirable people/organisations in attempt to harm Tokyo 2020 chances to win the bid at the upcoming IOC conference.

Your name sucks.

That's why all American New outlets are reporting it? Japan's strongest ally? I will tell you that the world doesn't give a rat's ass about the Olympic bids unless their nation is bidding.

• Like 1

That's why all American New outlets are reporting it? Japan's strongest ally? I will tell you that the world doesn't give a rat's ass about the Olympic bids unless their nation is bidding.

I doublt anybody in the US even knows who is bidding or that it will be decided soon.

It's amazing that I'm reading more about Fukushima on Olympic sites lately, though, than in any mainstream press.

Oh, that's right, the mainstream press are all trying to cover-up on behalf of TEPCO, and the governments of the world are too scared and meek to warn their citizens about flying into Narita and into the heart of a nuclear maestrom.

Just checked the Australian Govt Foreign Affairs Smart Traveller website - they must be hiding something - NO travel warnings issued for Japan!

Edited by Sir Rols