Tokyo 2020 Bid News

gotosy

Throughout the campaign, Tokyo's bid promo videos have really had abit of a London flavour to them, to me at least. They seem to be more athlete and competition focus, compared to the more urban landscape slant of the other 2 bids.

I think it shows a city which seems to be very focused and comfortable in its own skin, when it comes to the bid and hosting of 2020.

Olympics kiwis seem to favour Tokyo for 2020
By Sam Thompson 2:24 PM Saturday Jul 6, 2013
Tokyo appears to be the favoured option for New Zealand IOC members as the host city for the 2020 Olympics.
The big powers of the Olympic world have heard pitches from Tokyo, Istanbul and Madrid who are all bidding to host the Games.
Barry Maister is in Lausanne and says all the pitches were first class.
He says Tokyo is in their time zone and geographical space and for the Kiwi athletes it's probably the best.
The 2020 host city, new president and new sport will all be decided in a meeting in Buenos Aires in September.

The New Zealand Herald

Olympics kiwis seem to favour Tokyo for 2020
By Sam Thompson 2:24 PM Saturday Jul 6, 2013
Tokyo appears to be the favoured option for New Zealand IOC members as the host city for the 2020 Olympics.
The big powers of the Olympic world have heard pitches from Tokyo, Istanbul and Madrid who are all bidding to host the Games.
Barry Maister is in Lausanne and says all the pitches were first class.
He says Tokyo is in their time zone and geographical space and for the Kiwi athletes it's probably the best.
The 2020 host city, new president and new sport will all be decided in a meeting in Buenos Aires in September.

The New Zealand Herald

How many IOC Kiwi members are there? Can we assume then that all Pacific IOC'ers (except Chile I guess?) will vote Tokyo?

How many IOC Kiwi members are there? Can we assume then that all Pacific IOC'ers (except Chile I guess?) will vote Tokyo?

In the official list 2 from New Zealand Barbara Kendall since 2011 and Barry Maister since 2010 and one honorary member.

from the Pacific we have Robin Mitchell from Fiji.. by the way there is no chilean members

from Australia we have 3 Richard Gosper since 1977 John Coates since 2001 and James Tomkins since last Wednesday.

I think most of Asian votes will go to Tokyo maybe except the Chinese and Taiwanese members.

there is another question .. what is their second choice if Tokyo lost in the first round?

In the official list 2 from New Zealand Barbara Kendall since 2011 and Barry Maister since 2010 and one honorary member.

from the Pacific we have Robin Mitchell from Fiji.. by the way there is no chilean members

from Australia we have 3 Richard Gosper since 1977 John Coates since 2001 and James Tomkins since last Wednesday.

I think most of Asian votes will go to Tokyo maybe except the Chinese and Taiwanese members.

there is another question .. what is their second choice if Tokyo lost in the first round?

I think the Asian votes will be split. The muslim, west Asian and Korean votes will go to Istanbul; the East Pacific and Oceania votes will go for Tokyo.

The Euro vote will split 3 ways. The 7 So. American votes & Mexico will be Spain's base.

So, it'll really be the African and the Concacaf votes that will be the difficult to slot and decisive votes; at least for Round One.

From Oceania we have 6 ( 3 from Australia, 2 New Zealanders and one from Fiji )

6 votes for Tokyo
from North America we have 3 from the US and 2 Canadians
if they take 2024 into consideration they will vote for Madrid or Istanbul
Latin America for Madrid in the first round .. their second vote is unpredictable
for the Muslims we have Tamim al-Thani the Ruler of Qatar if he will be there and Haya bint Al Hussein Dubai Ruler wife and Jordan King sister their votes will go to Madrid
Haya brother Faisal is also a member represent Jordan

Istanbul will kill any near future bid from Doha/Dubai and Tokyo is Asian the best is Madrid for them

and a Syrian member who could vote against Istanbul

Nawal could vote for Madrid and maybe Tokyo which could help any Moroccan bids for 2024/28

Ahmad Al-Fahad for Tokyo as president of the Olympic Council of Asia

the other 3 Arabian votes still doubt they will choose Istanbul especially if they support Doha/Dubai or Rabat/Casablanca for future editions

one from Lebanon but he is not Muslim

there is two Muslims from Pakistan and Malaysia could vote for Istanbul

maybe the African Muslims will vote for Istanbul

from Europe we have three countries could play against Madrid/Istanbul if they want a chance to host the 2024 edition they have 8 members ( 2 Germans, 3 Italians and 3 French )

the rest of Europeans and majority of the African and Caribbean votes are unpredictable

Tokyo adds 2 new corporate sponsors to support its bid to host the 2020 Olympics

TOKYO - Tokyo has signed up two more sponsors for its Olympic bid, further bolstering the economic stability of its campaign to bring the 2020 Games to the Japanese capital.

The two new official bid partners are Sega Sammy Holdings Inc., one of the world's leading interactive entertainment companies, and Nippon Life Insurance Company, one of Japan's largest life insurers.

The new deals bring the total number of corporate sponsors to 20. Companies that previously signed up include ASICS Corp. and Mizuno Corp., two of Japan's leading sporting goods manufacturers, as well as All Nippon Airways and Japan Airlines.

Tokyo is bidding against Istanbul and Madrid. The IOC will select the host city at its meeting in Buenos Aires on Sept. 7.

AP

a.sports.yahoo.com/news/tokyo-adds-2-corporate-sponsors-support-bid-host-075735339.html

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/tokyo-adds-2-corporate-sponsors-support-bid-host-075735339.html

If Tokyo lose the first round... what I think it will happen, Madrid will win.
Some muslim countries will vote for Madrid instead of Istanbul, because Doha and Dubai will bid for 2024. US and Canada will vote for Madrid because Toronto and Los Angeles will bid for 2024 and Madrid 2020 can stop many european bids for 2024.
Don't you think the same?? And it is obviously, the relations with Spain... Russian and Chinese members, will vote for Madrid.
Madrid 2020!!! :P

Dubai just said that they're not bidding for 2024, so there goes your theory.

Plus, I'm sure the French, Italians & perhaps even the Germans & the Russians too, will try to lobby against Madrid, since as you said, Madrid 2020 can stop many European bids for 2024.

And after only 3 piddly bids showed up for 2020, I'm sure that the IOC would like more good bids to choose from for 2024. The IOC likes as many fools to show up & bid for the lavish, expensive Games.

• Like 1

Well, with a pool of almost 20 cities showing interest for 2024, the IOC is bound to have at least 4 or 5 serious and competent fools willing to spend their money in the olympics, it's possibly as many cities as they can ever hope for, with or without Europe.

I really don't understand what has happened in 2020 just to end up with only our cute little three cities.

A few of them perhaps chickened out bcuz they thought more formidable opponents were going to emerge, like South Africa & France. And Italy withdrew, which in hindsight, I'm wondering if they're now regretting that decision.

And like I said in another thread, Europe being outta the way for 2024 doesn't necessarily mean that North American candidates would have an easier time. Since a Europe-less race could prompt South Africa more & Tokyo again (& probably a couple of others) to bid for 2024.

I really don't understand what has happened in 2020 just to end up with only our cute little three cities.

Becuz in the years 2008 - 2012...when you have to prepare your 2020 bids, the world (or most of the advanced countries) were going thru a recession; thus the paucity of 2020 bidders. If a recession continues to hit the world for the next 3-4 years, then you will have the same thing for 2024. But there's always Tulsa and LA. ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Tokyo 2020 Departs for ANOCA to Build on Further Momentum in Africa
Tokyo, 10 July 2013 - Senior members of the Tokyo 2020 delegation departed for Abidjan, Ivory Coast today, to attend the Association of National Olympic Committees of Africa (ANOCA) General Assembly. The attendees are:
- Tsunekazu Takeda, IOC Member and President of both Tokyo 2020 and the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC)
- Masato Mizuno, Tokyo 2020 CEO
- Yuko Arakida, Tokyo 2020 Sports Director
Tsunekazu Takeda said: "We look forward to attending the ANOCA General Assembly in Abidjan, Ivory Coast. Japan values its strong relationships with African nations and is proud to be a key partner of Africa, providing support across a range of economic, educational and sports initiatives. We embrace our cooperative friendship with Africa.
"Under a long-term commitment to international sport’s development and increased access worldwide, Japan has sent more than 520 Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) sports volunteers across the length and breadth of Africa. Also, the Japan Foundation has initiated 160 sports-related projects over the last 20 years, including the provision of approximately 10,000 judo uniforms across the continent.
"I enthusiastically welcomed the announcement made by Deputy Prime Minister Taro Aso, a Skeet Shooting Olympian at the Montreal 1976 Games, at the 2020 Candidate City Briefing in Lausanne regarding ‘Sport for Tomorrow’, a far-reaching initiative that demonstrates once again Japan’s deep commitment to promoting the Olympic Movement worldwide.
"I look forward to meeting with my friends from Africa at the ANOCA meeting to exchange fruitful ideas and contribute to long-term friendship and mutual prosperity."

http://noticias.lainformacion.com/deporte/madrid-2020-viaja-a-costa-de-marfil-en-busca-de-12-votos-africanos_wGU1DVYINn91fSoPlWp3u4/

Madrid 2020 travel to Ivory Coast looking for the 12 African votes

2020 Madrid president, Alejandro Blanco, and International Relations CEO's candidacy, Theresa Zabell, will 'lobby' the next few days in Abidjan (Ivory Coast) to try to convince the 12 African members of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to vote for the Spanish candidacy on 7 September in Buenos Aires (Argentina), when the name of the city that will host the Olympic and Paralympic Games 2020, will be known.

These two leaders of Madrid 2020 will be in the economic and diplomatic capital of Ivory Coast where this Friday and Saturday the 15th General Assembly of the Association of National Olympic Committees of Africa (Anoca, according to its acronym in English), will take place, as Servimedia assured sources of the Spanish Olympic and Paralympic bid.

Blanco will travel to Abidjan on Thursday and will stay until Sunday.

2020 Madrid Sources said that earlier, those bidding for the Games made ​​presentations of their projects in the assemblies of regional Olympic committees, but this time Madrid, Istanbul and Tokyo will not exhibit "to save costs" as indication of the IOC.

[...]

Ohhh 'save costs'....

Tokyo 2020 Reconfirms Power of Sport at ANOCA

Abidjan, 14 July 2013 - Tokyo 2020's promise to maximise the power of sport with worldwide audiences and raise the profile of athletes reached new heights today following fruitful discussions with key African members of the Olympic Movement at the Association of National Olympic Committees of Africa (ANOCA) General Assembly in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire.

With more than 110 National Olympic Committee members and 50 international guests in attendance, Tokyo 2020 and its friends from Africa exchanged insightful ideas and underlined the important role sports play for reconciliation and peace building in the world.

Tsunekazu Takeda, an IOC Member and President of both Tokyo 2020 and the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) said: “I couldn’t be more delighted to be a part of the ANOCA General Assembly, and I take this opportunity to praise the ANOCA for its successful organisation of the meetings and on-going work. I was also pleased to see that both Japan and Africa truly believe in the universal power of sport. Tokyo 2020 is committed to sharing that power with others, and I look forward to further collaboration with ANOCA to ensure that Olympism remains in the forefront in our challenging and fast-changing era for sport.”

Discussions also focused on the inspirational role sports play for the youth and importance of putting athletes at the forefront, a key pillar of Tokyo 2020’s ultra-compact athlete-focused Games plan.

Takeda added: “Japan is proud to be a long-term key partner of Africa, and we have provided support across a range of cultural, economic, educational and sport initiatives over the last 20 years. We are happy to have the chance to share our ideas and point of views with our African friends and colleagues at such an important meeting. I am convinced that the discussions will contribute in the long-term to further develop our cooperation in sports.”

Further testament to Japan’s commitment to promote the Olympic Movement around the globe, Japan’s Deputy Prime Minister and Montreal 1976 Games Olympian Taro Aso unveiled a new internationally-reaching initiative called ‘Sport for Tomorrow’ at the 2020 Candidate City Briefing in Lausanne. New sport projects are planned in several countries around the globe, including in Africa, and the creation of an international sport academy based in Japan and additional support for WADA’s global anti-doping efforts are underway.

As of today, Japan contributes to sport development in 46 countries of Africa through projects implemented by the JOC, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, Japan Foundation, national sports federations and by many other organisations.

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/presspoint/pressrelease/53883/tokyo-2020-reconfirms-power-of-sport-at-anoca

18 Jul. 2013 - Tokyo’s Airports Earn Top Ranking in “On-time Performance” FlightStats study highlights reliability of Haneda and Narita

A new study by travel information company FlightStats ranked Tokyo International Airport (Haneda) and Narita International Airport the world’s two most reliable major airports based on flight departure times. The “On-time Performance Report” findings added further momentum to Tokyo 2020’s transportation plan, helping validate Tokyo’s claims that it will deliver a superb Olympic and Paralympic Games experience through its world-class transport system.

The FlightStats study is an “On-time Performance Report” which compares the on-time performance of scheduled passenger flights (June 2013). The two best performing airports are both in Tokyo, with 95.04 % of flights from Tokyo International Airport (Haneda) leaving on-time, and 86.38 % of flights from Narita International Airport leaving on-time. In addition, according to the report, “Tokyo's Haneda maintained its top spot among the world’s busiest airports.”

The Top 8 Major International Airports
1- Tokyo (HND)
2- Tokyo (NRT)
3- Amsterdam (AMS)
4- Munich (MUC)
5- Seattle (SEA)
6- Minneapolis (MSP)
7- Toronto (YYZ)
8- Phoenix (PHX)

Tokyo 2020 CEO Masato Mizuno said: “Having the world’s two best airports right here in our city is the perfect endorsement of why Tokyo can promise to deliver a fantastic and efficient Games. We will offer a stress-free experience in the best conditions for all Olympic Family members, athletes, and spectators in the renowned tradition of Japanese hospitality: ‘omotenashi’. The Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games will be a dynamic celebration in the heart of the world’s most forward-thinking city.”

FlightStats’ Airport On-time Performance Report:
http://cms.flightstats.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/FlightStats-On-time-Report-June-2013-.pdf

Tokyo 2020

Tokyo governor's wife dies of brain tumorTOKYO —Yuriko Inose, the wife of Tokyo Gov Naoki Inose, died Sunday of a brain tumor. She was 65.

She was diagnosed with the tumor in May and had been hospitalised since then, TV Asahi quoted a Tokyo metropolitan government spokesperson as saying.

Prior to her illness, Mrs Inose had been actively involved in Tokyo’s bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics. “Thanks to my wife, I was able to carry on this campaign. I want to continue putting my heart into this campaign in her memory,” Gov Inose said in a statement to media on Monday.http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/tokyo-governors-wife-dies-of-brain-tumor

Tokyo 2020 expresses condolences over the loss of Governor Inose's wife Yuriko

(SFC) The bid team at Tokyo 2020 has issued a statement at the loss of Governor Naoki Inose’s wife this weekend.

She was scheduled to accompany him on his next trip to Russia to promote the city with the corresponding offices there.

The statement reads:

“Tokyo 2020 is deeply saddened by the passing of Tokyo Governor Naoki Inose’s wife, Yuriko.

She was a beloved and committed force who worked behind the scenes for the Governor and the Tokyo 2020 Bid, including travelling with us this year to London and New York City in January and April, respectively.

We express our most sincere condolences to the Governor and his family. Our thoughts and prayers are with them in this very difficult moment.”

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/olympicsnews/story/50491/tokyo-2020-expresses-condolences-over-the-loss-of-governor-inoses-wife-yuriko

Tokyo 2020 Promises Opening Ceremony will be Athlete-Centric

7/24/2013
Tokyo, 24 July 2013 - Tokyo 2020 today took its ‘athletes-first’ Games plan to new heights by unveiling further details about its vision for the Opening Ceremony it would host in exactly seven years’ time. The details of the Ceremony underscore the Bid’s commitment to deliver a dynamic celebration and raise the profile of athletes in this challenging and fast-changing era for sport.

Highlights include:

- Before entering the Olympic Stadium for the Opening Ceremony, athletes will be able to wait comfortably in the Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium (the venue for Table Tennis). Located just next to the Olympic Stadium, the venue is connected through a corridor, allowing easy and safe access.

- Athletes will be able to get seated once they enter the Olympic Stadium, ensuring that they can enjoy the Ceremony first-hand.

IOC Member and President of both Tokyo 2020 and the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) Tsunekazu Takeda said: “The insight and feedback of Tokyo 2020’s Athletes Commission has been invaluable in preparing our Games plan. The Opening Ceremony is without a doubt one of the most memorable experiences for athletes, and our newest initiatives are a perfect example of our commitment to deliver an ‘athletes-first’ Games.”

The Opening Ceremony will be held in the New National Stadium, a futuristic facility with one of the largest spectator capacities in the world. The state-of-the-art stadium will also be the first Olympic Stadium with a retractable roof, providing absolute certainty about staging the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.

Takeda added: “Our Olympic Village is at the heart of our concept, our ultra-compact venue plan will minimise journey times, and with our stress-free Opening Ceremony, we are confident in our ability to deliver all Olympic Family members memories for a lifetime.”

http://www.aipsmedia.com/index.php?page=news&cod=11327&tp=n

Japan Inc. backs Olympics bid: Cho

Corporate Japan is an active promoter of sports and is completely behind the effort to secure the 2020 Olympic Games for Tokyo, Toyota Motor Corp. Honorary Chairman Fujio Cho said Wednesday.

“Many Japanese companies deeply understand the importance of sports,” Cho, who holds many posts outside Toyota, including president of the Japan Sports Association, said at a Tokyo hotel in an event organized by the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan.

“If it is decided that the 2020 Games will be held in Japan, many companies would actively pursue sponsorship, leading not only to the success of those games but also to tremendous promotion of sports in Japan and the entire world.”

The relationship between sports and business is different in Japan than in the U.S. and Europe because not only do companies serve as team owners and sponsors, they also hire athletes as employees, he said.

Those athletes usually remain at their companies after retiring as athletes, and are valuable businesspeople, he said.

Cho was in charge of making a presentation on marketing when the International Olympic Committee Evaluation Commission visited Japan in March.

“Corporate Japan’s long, active involvement in sports was thoroughly explained to and understood by the IOC Evaluation Commission that visited in March. And I was quite happy to learn that this involvement was highly evaluated in an IOC report issued in June,” he said.

Cho drew a laugh from the audience when he noted that Nobusuke Kishi was prime minister when the IOC selected Tokyo to host the 1964 Olympics, and Kishi is the grandfather of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

“Whether that has anything to do with it or not, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has shown his extreme zeal for Tokyo’s bid,” Cho said, noting he plans to be in Buenos Aires on Sept. 7, when the IOC announces the winner of the bid.

Istanbul and Madrid are also bidding to host the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/07/24/national/japan-inc-backs-olympics-bid-cho/#.Ue_k_I7I1UQ

Tokyo 2020 Promises Opening Ceremony will be Athlete-Centric

7/24/2013

Tokyo, 24 July 2013 - Tokyo 2020 today took its ‘athletes-first’ Games plan to new heights by unveiling further details about its vision for the Opening Ceremony it would host in exactly seven years’ time. The details of the Ceremony underscore the Bid’s commitment to deliver a dynamic celebration and raise the profile of athletes in this challenging and fast-changing era for sport.

Highlights include:

- Before entering the Olympic Stadium for the Opening Ceremony, athletes will be able to wait comfortably in the Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium (the venue for Table Tennis). Located just next to the Olympic Stadium, the venue is connected through a corridor, allowing easy and safe access.

- Athletes will be able to get seated once they enter the Olympic Stadium, ensuring that they can enjoy the Ceremony first-hand.

IOC Member and President of both Tokyo 2020 and the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) Tsunekazu Takeda said: “The insight and feedback of Tokyo 2020’s Athletes Commission has been invaluable in preparing our Games plan. The Opening Ceremony is without a doubt one of the most memorable experiences for athletes, and our newest initiatives are a perfect example of our commitment to deliver an ‘athletes-first’ Games.”

The Opening Ceremony will be held in the New National Stadium, a futuristic facility with one of the largest spectator capacities in the world. The state-of-the-art stadium will also be the first Olympic Stadium with a retractable roof, providing absolute certainty about staging the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.

Takeda added: “Our Olympic Village is at the heart of our concept, our ultra-compact venue plan will minimise journey times, and with our stress-free Opening Ceremony, we are confident in our ability to deliver all Olympic Family members memories for a lifetime.”

http://www.aipsmedia.com/index.php?page=news&cod=11327&tp=n

STUPID PLANS!! I hope Japan loses!! TOTAL FOOLS!! :angry:

• Like 1