Tokyo 2020 Bid News

gotosy

Better not look at any of Calatrava's work prior to 2004 then. How unoriginal was Athens?! :ph34r:

Do you think the stadium's offered by Madrid or Istanbul are more interesting?

Precisely, Tokyo is making a big deal on the very innovative design of their stadium. But with 2 or 3 of her projects going up, it'll be old hat before the day is over. Calatrava's work for Athens was really just a fix-it rather than an entirely new, original structure. Hadid work on the Tokyo Stadium is almost like a complete make-over.

• Like 1

Personally, I find Hadid's work suffocating. It's this hypo sci-fi stuff that just does not sit well with me. I loved Calatrava, I often felt like Athens Stadium appeared more like a refined, more elegant sister to Sydney's Stadium. Beautiful curves.

I'd have to agree that perhaps Istanbul and Madrid offer more basic options for the Main Stadium.

I also find it awful that Toyko is demolishing its iconic 1964 Stadium. It was an abject lesson in 1960's modernity.

Japan Olympic Chief says no more gaffes over 2020 Tokyo Games

posted on MAY 8, 2013 by IDA TORRES
2013-05-08T061348Z_1_CBRE9470HB400_RTROP
Japan Olympics Committee (JOC) president Tsunekazu Takeda has warned his colleagues to be careful with their words from now on to avoid the recent gaffe by Tokyo governor Naoki Inose that may affect their bid to host the 2020 Olympics. His statements, printed in an interview with The New York Times has put Tokyo’s Olympic bid in jeopardy due to an apparent violation in the bid rules, which forbids a bidding city from criticizing in public any rival city.
Takeda told his colleagues in a meeting to carefully observe and follow the rules on bidding and “make sure this kind of trouble does not occur a second time.” Former IOC vice president Chiharu Igaya added that politics and religion are “complicated issues” and that all members of the committee have to be careful with whatever they say. Inose got in hot water when, during the interview, he made “inappropriate” remarks about Islam and the capability of rival candidate Istanbul to host the Olympics. This immediately prompted the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to investigate and Turkey’s sports minister to respond that his statements are against the spirit and values of the Olympics.
Even though Inose has since then apologized for his statements and the IOC has also said that there will be no sanctions against Tokyo because of the incident, many are still afraid that Inose has undone all the good work that the Tokyo 2020 bid committee has finished, and may still have a negative impact on their bid. Aside from Istanbul and Tokyo, Madrid is the other city bidding to host the games in 2020. The winner will be announced in September at the next IOC session in Argentina this September.

• 2 weeks later...
Tokyo 2020 gearing up for key SportAccord presentation
(SFC) On May 30th the Tokyo 2020 Olympic bid team will be making a key presentation to the Olympic Movement at the highly acclaimed SportAccord convention to be held in St. Petersburg Russia.
The SportAccord Convention is the destination for all the sports federations’ annual gathering and one of the best networking opportunities of the annual calendar.
All three 2020 bid cities, Tokyo, Istanbul and Madrid will all three have their moments to address the assembly to illustrate and describe their project plans to host the Summer Olympic Games.
Tsunekazu Takeda, IOC member and President of the Japanese Olympic Committee and the Olympic bid, said in a statement: "We are very much looking forward to attending the 11th SportAccord International Convention with our high-level delegation. It will be a pleasure to discuss the decisive factors of the Bid race and meet with International Federation representatives to explain our delivery foundations and compelling vision.
"When the International Federations approved the Tokyo 2020 Games plan in December 2012, we renewed our promise to bring every sport into the heart of the city to realise wide exposure and amazing Games experiences for athletes, Olympic and Paralympic Families, and spectators. It will be a true honour to host the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2020.
"During the SportAccord International Convention, Tokyo 2020 will make every attempt to explain why Tokyo is the best choice, and how we can guarantee to deliver superb Games which will promote the Olympic Values for new generations in this challenging and fast-changing era for sport."
The Tokyo 2020 delegation will include:
Tsunekazu TAKEDA - IOC Member, and President of Japanese Olympic Committee and Tokyo 2020
Naoki INOSE - Tokyo Governor and Tokyo 2020 Chairman
Masato MIZUNO - Tokyo 2020 CEO and JOC Vice President
Yuko ARAKIDA - Tokyo 2020 Sports Director
Yuuki OTA - Tokyo 2020 Bid Ambassador and two-time silver medallist in Fencing.

Tokyo 2020 supporting 77 new universities
posted: May 23rd 2013
CHAD WISE / Sports Features Communications
(SFC) Tokyo 2020 agreed to partnerships today with 77 new universities – bringing the bid committee’s total to 82 – to study and promote sport.
The universities are working to enhance the understanding of sport’s role in society to study the benefits of hosting the Games in Tokyo.
“It is wonderful to see so many universities sign partnerships with Tokyo 2020,” Athens 2004 Games Judo gold medallist and Kokushikan University Lecturer Keiji Suzuki said. “I had the fortune of taking part in the Olympic Games, which is every athlete’s dream. My next dream is for my students and the younger generation to experience the Olympic Games and the power of sport first-hand."
University of Tsukuba has conducted research and classes on the Olympic Values to 11 schools – from elementary schools to graduate schools. Senshu University has also offering courses on the Olympic Movement.
“Our Bid is strengthened by the ability to partner with 82 leading universities which do so much to advance and promote sport and physical education in Japan,” Tokyo 2020 Chief Executive Officer and Japanese Olympic Committee Vice President Masato Mizuno said. “Tokyo 2020 and its partner universities share the strong belief that the power of sports has hugely beneficial effect on society, so we look forward to spreading this message further.”
Tokyo 2020 is bidding against Istanbul and Madrid to host the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Summer Games. The International Olympic Committee will decide the Host City at the 125th IOC Session this September in Buenos Aires.

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/olympicsnews/story/50309/tokyo-2020-supporting-77-new-universities

Tokyo to sell 1.5 million yen gold coins for 2020 Olympics campaign
posted on MAY 30, 2013 by ADAM WESTLAKE
0017-280x175.jpg
As the decision over which of three cities will play host to the 2020 Olympic Games looms closer, the Tokyo bid committee announced that it will be selling commemorative gold coins for as much as 1.5 million yen (approx. 14,750 US dollars) in order to raise funds for the campaign. Pre-orders began being accepted today, May 30th, exactly 100 days before the International Olympic Committee (IOC) announces its decision between Istanbul, Madrid, and Tokyo in September.
Those looking to put down some serious cash for the limited coins will have their choice between five different types, made of pure silver, pure gold, or 18-karat gold, and ranging in prices from 21,000 yen (206 dollars), all the way up to 1.5 million yen. One side of the coin will feature the Tokyo 2020 bid logo, while the other side will feature designs with famous landmarks and cultural items represent ing Japan and the capital city of Tokyo, including traditional ukiyo-e painting artwork, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building, and the Yoyogi National Gymnasium. The largest oval coin will be made of pure gold and weigh 123 grams (4.34 ounces), and measure 9.5 centimeters (3.7 inches) in length.
Only 50 of the commemorative coins have been produced, each with an individual serial number. While these mementos will certainly have significance if Tokyo does win the hosting duties for the 2020 Olympics, it will be interesting to see what happens if the city isn’t picked. Will these coins be little more than expensive reminders of disappointment, or could their value, in featuring markings for an event that will never happen, turn out to be much more than what people paid for them? Either way, gold is gold, and the price of that always seems to be rising.

http://japandailypress.com/tokyo-to-sell-1-5-million-yen-gold-coins-for-2020-olympics-campaign-3029803

002.jpg

001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Olympics: Tokyo takes lead in race for 2020 Olympics: IOC sources

TOKYO, June 17, Kyodo

Members of the International Olympic Committee who will vote in less than three months to decide the host city for the 2020 Summer Olympics are increasingly leaning toward Tokyo as the favorite, according to several notable IOC members.

Tokyo's emphasis on safety and security appears to be influencing the race for the 2020 Games, rendering the Japanese capital a squeaky clean candidate amidst the turmoil and instability being witnessed in Istanbul and Madrid.

An IOC veteran from Europe speaking on condition of anonymity told Kyodo News that Tokyo is within reach of winning the bid, while another high-profile member with experience on the IOC Executive Board believes Tokyo will win as long as it has no major mistakes from now.

Istanbul, which is bidding for the Olympics for the fifth time, had been seen as the favorite as it aims to become the first Islamic city to host an Olympics, but Tokyo's stock has seen a sharp rise since Turkish authorities began a widening crackdown on antigovernment protests that began in the country on May 31.

As part of the government crackdown, police in Istanbul are being blamed for attacking peaceful demonstrators in Taksim Square.

One IOC member from Asia who said he would also like to remain anonymous called the turmoil a "big blow" to Istanbul.

"The Tokyo bid is very good and strong," the member said.

Madrid, meanwhile, has seen no end in sight to the economic crisis in Spain, which is mired in record unemployment and major budget cuts to public spending.

Although Tokyo's lack of a clear concept for the Games had been viewed as a weakness, the issue of security is gathering steam as the IOC's safest bet to host the Games.

The three candidate cities made presentations to over 800 national Olympic committee representatives during the Association of National Olympic Committees General Assembly in Lausanne, Switzerland on Saturday.

It was the second such presentation since the cities pitched their cases to the IOC at the SportsAccord conference in St. Petersburg, Russia, in May, with each claiming to be the safest and most financially sound as the race enters the final stretch.

One IOC senior member said, "Now Istanbul has bigger problems (than the other two cities). Madrid and Tokyo have a good chance (to win)."

==Kyodo

Olympics: Tokyo takes lead in race for 2020 Olympics: IOC sources

TOKYO, June 17, Kyodo

Members of the International Olympic Committee who will vote in less than three months to decide the host city for the 2020 Summer Olympics are increasingly leaning toward Tokyo as the favorite, according to several notable IOC members.

Tokyo's emphasis on safety and security appears to be influencing the race for the 2020 Games, rendering the Japanese capital a squeaky clean candidate amidst the turmoil and instability being witnessed in Istanbul and Madrid.

An IOC veteran from Europe speaking on condition of anonymity told Kyodo News that Tokyo is within reach of winning the bid, while another high-profile member with experience on the IOC Executive Board believes Tokyo will win as long as it has no major mistakes from now.

Istanbul, which is bidding for the Olympics for the fifth time, had been seen as the favorite as it aims to become the first Islamic city to host an Olympics, but Tokyo's stock has seen a sharp rise since Turkish authorities began a widening crackdown on antigovernment protests that began in the country on May 31.

As part of the government crackdown, police in Istanbul are being blamed for attacking peaceful demonstrators in Taksim Square.

One IOC member from Asia who said he would also like to remain anonymous called the turmoil a "big blow" to Istanbul.

"The Tokyo bid is very good and strong," the member said.

Madrid, meanwhile, has seen no end in sight to the economic crisis in Spain, which is mired in record unemployment and major budget cuts to public spending.

Although Tokyo's lack of a clear concept for the Games had been viewed as a weakness, the issue of security is gathering steam as the IOC's safest bet to host the Games.

The three candidate cities made presentations to over 800 national Olympic committee representatives during the Association of National Olympic Committees General Assembly in Lausanne, Switzerland on Saturday.

It was the second such presentation since the cities pitched their cases to the IOC at the SportsAccord conference in St. Petersburg, Russia, in May, with each claiming to be the safest and most financially sound as the race enters the final stretch.

One IOC senior member said, "Now Istanbul has bigger problems (than the other two cities). Madrid and Tokyo have a good chance (to win)."

==Kyodo

I know is a Japanese newspaper, but I agree with most of the article.

Situation in Istanbul has gotten much uglier than I expected. I don't think the IOC will want to involve in a scandal handing over the games to a repressive government (I mean, China also was repressive but at least the Tienanmen issue was 12 years behind, however this is very recent and like I said before, many of the popular support which the bid had enjoyed until now will probably be lost) Besides, they already used the new frontier stuff with Rio so I don't think many will complain if they award the games to a more known country/city this time.

Add that Spain is on the brink of bankruptcy plus the doping scandals and I can pretty much say Tokyo has this games already on the bag IMO.

Situation can change though

Exactly.

Just a few weeks ago, after Tokyo's travails and Inose's gaffes, I was ready to say it was Istanbul's to lose. One week ago, I thought the whole Istanbul protest thing would probably blow over. Now I'm wondering if it's starting to look like a lame duck.

And I've always tried to look for reasons not to count out Madrid. I still can't envisage them winning, for all the reasons mentiond here over the campaign, but I can't just shake the notion that it's never wise to write them off totally.

Have been saying that for a long time..

Not unless we get the CIA to foment revolutions at the leading cities in the 2 months leading up to the vote. He-he-he.. B):ph34r:

I always thought that was the case -- IF Tokyo won 2020.

I think even Istanbul would've created more opportunity.

The reality is that the IOC isn't going to make Europe or Africa wait. They will make North America or Asia wait. Since Tokyo appears to have lucked out, that leaves North America with the short end of the stick.

And I've always tried to look for reasons not to count out Madrid. I still can't envisage them winning, for all the reasons mentiond here over the campaign, but I can't just shake the notion that it's never wise to write them off totally.

I would agree with this under normal circumstances. But considering the new, big hurdles (in addition to usual ones from before) that Madrid has to face this time around versus in previous races, it looks like they're as much as a lame duck as Istanbul. Bcuz if the focus is now shifting to a "safe option" for the 2020 Games bcuz of the large protests in Istanbul, then I can't see why Madrid would benefit in that regard.

Not too long ago, there were massive protests all over Spain due to the goverments austerity measures. So who's to say that more riots couldn't reoccur if things there don't improve much in the next couple of years & even more cuts followed. And the Spaniards then could use the Olympics in their protests. If the unrest in Turkey blows over & things resume to normal by the time the 2020 vote comes around, Istanbul could probably still win this. But bottomline here is, if the IOC really wants a truly 'safe choice with less risk', that really only spells Tokyo 2020 IMHO.

• Like 1

I would agree with this under normal circumstances. But considering the new, big hurdles (in addition to usual ones from before) that Madrid has to face this time around versus in previous races, it looks like they're as much as a lame duck as Istanbul. Bcuz if the focus is now shifting to a "safe option" for the 2020 Games bcuz of the large protests in Istanbul, then I can't see why Madrid would benefit in that regard.

Not too long ago, there were massive protests all over Spain due to the goverments austerity measures. So who's to say that more riots couldn't reoccur if things there don't improve much in the next couple of years & even more cuts followed. And the Spaniards then could use the Olympics in their protests. If the unrest in Turkey blows over & things resume to normal by the time the 2020 vote comes around, Istanbul could probably still win this. But bottomline here is, if the IOC really wants a truly 'safe choice with less risk', that really only spells Tokyo 2020 IMHO.

I totally agree - everything from the beginning has seemed to make it an easy guess NOT to favour them. I think my main concern lately is Samaranch Junior's behind the scenes work in ensuring Modern Pentathlon didn't get thrown into the sports limbo for 2020. Just wonder if there's still lots of favours owed to the Samaranch's - and whether Juanito also knows where the bodies are buried.

The only way Madrid can win is through back room politics.

They are probably already be in good shape with Latin America. Next they have to pick up all the North American and African supporters they possibly can. They need to snap up any Asians that are disgruntled with the Japanese. Finally, they've got to snag as many Europeans as possible and that will be tough because the French, Italians and Germans may all be against them due to possible 2024 ambitions. I'm guessing Oceania is probably going to go for Tokyo, but who knows?

Madrid has to present themselves as a vibrant alternative to Tokyo. They have to be everything Tokyo is not -- warm, lively, joyful. They have to convince the IOC that Tokyo is safe, but unexciting, Madrid can pull off the Games with panache.

It seems like a long-shot, but I don't think it's totally impossible.

I totally agree - everything from the beginning has seemed to make it an easy guess NOT to favour them. I think my main concern lately is Samaranch Junior's behind the scenes work in ensuring Modern Pentathlon didn't get thrown into the sports limbo for 2020. Just wonder if there's still lots of favours owed to the Samaranch's - and whether Juanito also knows where the bodies are buried.

Yeah, but by doing so, he's also caused a huge uproar in the international wrestling community by putting the sport on the go-list, & perhaps backfire on him in the end.

Yeah, but by doing so, he's also caused a huge uproar in the international wrestling community by putting the sport on the go-list, & perhaps backfire on him in the end.

Would it really blow back on him though? His work is done - Modern Pentathlon's safe for another four years. And IMO wrestling's likely to be re-admitted. I think most of the ire over wrestling's cut will be on the Executive Board and their sports roster system, rather than on Juanito himself.

Just playing Devil's Advocate. I really don't expect, or want, Madrid to win. But I'm just twice shy about the Spaniards these days.

Like what. Any outlook to shove Europe outta the way for 2024, eh? Madrid isn't offering exciting nor risk free, so what's exactly the appeal there. And Wrestling hasn't gotten removed yet, but the fact that it's on the list of sports potentially to get the heave-ho, is probably enough to piss some people off.