Tokyo 2020 Bid News

gotosy

Tokyo 2020 Olympic bid committee failing to meet private funding goals
KYODO
MAR 30, 2013
The managing director for Tokyo’s bid to host the 2020 Summer Olympics said earlier this week that private funding for the bid effort was falling far short of its target.
Bidding for the Games was expected to cost ¥7.5 billion, and it was anticipated that ¥3.8 billion of that be raised through private donations. Masato Mizuno, the managing director of the bid committee, however, indicated that less than half of that amount had been raised so far.
Tokyo is competing with Madrid and Istanbul to host the 2020 Games with the winning bid to be decided by the International Olympic Committee in September.
“By September, we want to raise ¥3.8 billion,” one of bid committee members said.
The committee is looking at other ways of raising money, including increasing its target for sponsorship contracts.
Tokyo spent ¥15 billion on its failed bid to host the 2016 Games and ended in the red worth ¥690 million.

Other reports were that the Japanese NOC/Tokyo 2016 had like $75 million left over from the 2016 bid...which is why they were able to boldly proceed with 2020. Now there are reports of a shortfall??? Don't know anymore which reports to trust.

I never read that. They had money set aside for the Games themselves, but I don't recall anything about a surplus from the 2016 bid.

You're just doing your best to undermine Tokyo's bid, Baron.

Bullsh*t. I read that; and I remember it because I incorporated that info in the last edition of my book. Not saying it was gospel truth, but whomever put it out there NEVER retracted or denied it; and it made sense for them to try again for 2020 since they had the left over funds.

Why would they set aside money for the Games themselves when they hadn't won't it? :blink: I mean what Org Committee is stupid enough to do that? :wacko:

I can manufacture BETTER 'undermining' stories than that...if you want to go down that line. :rolleyes:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Bullsh*t. I read that; and I remember it because I incorporated that info in the last edition of my book. Not saying it was gospel truth, but whomever put it out there NEVER retracted or denied it; and it made sense for them to try again for 2020 since they had the left over funds.

Why would they set aside money for the Games themselves when they hadn't won't it? :blink: I mean what Org Committee is stupid enough to do that? :wacko:

I can manufacture BETTER 'undermining' stories than that...if you want to go down that line. :rolleyes:

Ok. Let me absorb this. You're "not saying it was gospel truth," but you put it in your book. You don't have a source either: "whomever put it out there never retracted or denied it," but you put it in your book. You are mixing up the use of "who" and "whom", but you wrote a book.

Ok. Let me absorb this. You're "not saying it was gospel truth," but you put it in your book. You don't have a source either: "whomever put it out there never retracted or denied it," but you put it in your book. You are mixing up the use of "who" and "whom", but you wrote a book.

So what? This is a free forum -- u're not paying for anything here. So who cares if there's a "who" or "whom"? Besides, they are interchangeable in certain instances today. And people do put in stories which at that time...seemed plausible. Happens all the time. Besides, what do u care? U're too cheap to have bought it anyway.

And you still haven't answered my question of how you read the excess amount as "...money set aside for the Games themselves"? What Bid/organizing Committee would be stupid enough to do that? And you would jump on me--which knowing your petty, anal, argumentative nature, as I knew you would. But you can't answer how you came to that brilliant statement of yours?

Jeez, not only are you cheap, but u're really nothing but a petty, sniveling sort. Get a life, AF, will ya.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I recall stories saying that during the 2016 bid a chunk of capital was earmarked for the Games. i have no idea what happened to it after they lost. I'm not going to go back and search for it now, but nor am I going to represent it as fact and try to sell it.

And yes, Baron, the only reason I won't buy your book is that I'm cheap. It has absolutely nothing to do with what I've come to expect from you after years of reading your posts on this forum.

How about we create a pre-school/early childhood education forum for those of you who haven't graduated to big-boy pants yet?

[/yawn]

• Like 1

Tokyo 2020 hope Yokohama Paratriathlon will help boost Olympic and Paralympic bid

Monday, 01 April 2013
By Duncan Mackay
April 1 - The Yokohama Paratriathlon, which is due to take place on May 11 and 12, has been added to the International Triathlon Union (ITU) Paratriathlon series, it has been announced.
Tokyo 2020 hope that the event will help boost their bid to host the Olympics and Paralympics by helping it promote sport for all, regardless of age, gender and disability.
The season is due to climax at the ITU Paratriathlon World Championships in London on September 13 on the same course that hosted the Olympic triathlon competiton won by Britain's Alistair Brownlee and Switzerland's Nicola Spirig.
ITU Paratriathlon events are also due to be held in San Diego on April 20 and Edmonton in Canada on June 22 and it is hoped that it will showcase the sport ahead of its debut on the Paralympic programme at Rio 2016.
A total of 16 athletes competed in the Paratriathlon race in Yokohama last year, including London 2012 long jumper Mami Sato.
"The addition of the Yokohama event is absolutely a big momentum to further promote the sport of Paratriathlon in this region and confirm how the sport with disability is rapidly evolving in Japan," said Masa Takaya, the acting communications director of Tokyo 2020.
"Paratriathlon is new, exciting and dynamic domain in the sport, and we are pleased to see that Japan's effort is a part of the development.
"Tokyo 2020 is committed to organising both Olympic and Paralympic Games as one seven-week celebration.
"The Games of delivery, celebration and innovation will certainly become a social catalyst to raise global awareness of the sport with disability, inspiring youth of the world."

Lady Gaga designer to produce Tokyo 2020 uniform

posted on APRIL 2, 2013 by IDA TORRES
Junko_Shimada_with_Lady_Gaga-280x175.jpg
The Tokyo 2020 officials do not just want to win the rights to host the Olympics, but they also want to do it in style. They announced yesterday that AOKI Holdings, one of the country’s largest fashion retail chains is their 18th official bid partner. Fashion designer Junko Shimada, she who made Lady Gaga’s fishnet headmask a thing, will be designing the committee’s outfits.
Tsunekazu Takeda, President of the Japanese Olympic Committee and Tokyo 2020, said that they are excited about working with AOKI, who share their vision in bringing the Olympics to Tokyo and celebrating the world’s most prestigious sporting event with Japanese flair. Akihiro Aoki, President and chief operating officer of AOKI Holdings, said that they are fully behind Tokyo 2020′s efforts to get “one of the most forward-thinking cities in the world” to host the Olympics. He also said that the outfits that Shimada will design will represent the “professionalism and celebratory spirit” that Tokyo 2020 wants to bring to the world.
Shimada is one of the foremost fashion designers in Japan and in the world. She started out as a designer at the Sujino Gajen Dressmaker Institute of Tokyo 40 years ago, and then moved to the fashion capital of the world, Paris, to pursue her dreams. She opened her first boutique in 1984 and now has more than 20 exclusive shops for her line of clothing, plus different licensed brands of luggage, glasses, scarves, kimonos and golfwear. Pop superstar Lady Gaga modeled her “I Feel Love” collection last 2009, which includes that now famous fishnet headmask. She will be designing the official uniforms for presentations of the Tokyo 2020 team, including the ones they will wear when the final decision is made at the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session in Buenos Aires on September 7.

Tokyo 2020 names robo cat Doraemon Special Ambassador

CHAD WISE / Sports Features Communications

(SFC) Doraemon, one of Japan’s most beloved anime characters, will become the first special ambassador in support of Tokyo’s bid to host the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games, Tokyo 2020 announced. The robotic cat from the 22nd century was appointed Japan’s first anime ambassador by the country’s Foreign Ministry in 2008.

The original Doraemon series, which began in 1969, ran for 1,344 episodes and embodies the Japanese core values of respect and friendship, which are also Olympic Values. The character was named in Times Asia magazine’s Asia’s 22 heroes in 2002, the only anime character to make the list.

“The global popularity of Japanese anime as represented by Doraemon is a powerful reminder of Japan’s ability to inspire young people,” Tokyo 2020 CEO and Japanese Olympic Committee Vice President Masato Mizuno said. “Is also adds further credibility to our promise to deliver a dynamic celebration that strengthens Olympic Values and encourages young people to pursue their dreams through sport. We are delighted to have our resourceful friend Doraemon on our Bid team"

Tokyo is bidding for the 2020 Games against Istanbul and Madrid and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) is set to make their final vote on the 7th of September in Buenos Aires.

Astro Boy for Japan 2018/2022 fifa World Cup bid.

I didn't know about that one. I was thinking of an Olympic bid in the 80s for one of the 90s hostings.

Specifically:

]

The Lutetia Olympics

For the honour of Gaul Asterix and Obelix help Lutetia (ancient Paris) win the chance to host the ancient Olympic Games by acting as security for the event. ( 1986 Lutèce olympique ) 4 pages. Done to aid the 1992 Paris Olympic bid and originally published in the bid's promotional materials. Wikipedia

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Nice new information for me

look like using Cartoons to promote Olympic bids is not something new!

]

I just remembered from the time of the bid race (Brisbane was bidding, so it was one of the first I was following relatively closely) a news story about the Asterix tie-in close to the vote. I also seem to remember a news pic of a Paris bus with Asterix and the bid logo and on the side.

I'm bummed they took down the pic of the bid poster they had with Asterix I posted earlier!

Edited by Sir Rols

• 3 weeks later...

New Samaranch Memorial in China boosts our bid claim Tokyo 2020

April 23 - Tokyo 2020 claim their bid for the Olympic and Paralympic Games has been boosted by the inauguration of the Samaranch Memorial in Tianjin, China, last weekend.

The Samaranch Memorial, a tribute to the late International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Juan Antonio Samaranch, was officially opened on Sunday (April 21) after being founded and designed by IOC Executive Board member CK Wu.

The Memorial houses one of the biggest collections of Olympic memorabilia in the world, including much of Samaranch's personal collection of around 16,000 pieces that was donated to Wu shortly before his death.

The unveiling comes with an Olympic Museum scheduled to be built inside Japan's new National Stadium, which will be used as a venue at Tokyo 2020 if their bid is successful against rivals Istanbul and Madrid.

Tsunekazu Takeda, an IOC member and President of both the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) and Tokyo 2020, claimed having the Memorial in Asia will help the Japanese capital as they look to secure the Olympics and Paralympics.

"As vice-president of the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA), it is truly a great honour to have the Samaranch Memorial Museum open in Asia," said Takeda.

"Tokyo's Bid for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games has already shown the supreme passion for sport and Olympism in Japan.

"Creating an Olympic Museum in our new national stadium, in addition to the opening of the Samaranch Memorial Museum in China, will undoubtedly boost the Olympic Movement across Asia even further."

The Olympic Museum in Japan will be built following the creation of the Centre for Olympic Research and Education (CORE) in 2010, which is the country's first centre for Olympic studies and research recognised by the IOC.

The host city is due to be announced at the IOC Session in Buenos Aires on September 7.

insidethegames

This must be the silliest claim of the campaign so far!

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

More of Zaha Hadid's 'same' design. That Tokyo Stadium is NOT going to look all that unique anymore...

http://www.archdaily.com/24479/cairo-expo-city-zaha-hadid/

Better not look at any of Calatrava's work prior to 2004 then. How unoriginal was Athens?! :ph34r:

Do you think the stadium's offered by Madrid or Istanbul are more interesting?

Architects have styles. That's true going back for centuries. Gehry, Meier, Hadid, Calatrava -- they all have a look.

Calatrava's work for Athens grew out of previous projects and has given birth to later ones. It is immediately recognizable as Calatrava. It doesn't look like anyone else. For that reason it is original -- even though it is clearly related to his larger body of work.

The same is true of Hadid. I personally find Calatrava more exciting, but I like Hadid. I picked her design as one of my top three for Tokyo. My biggest reservation is that it's not more Japanese. I would've loved more elegant minimalism. Hadid's design looks like a spaceship, but it's lines are beautiful and it will be iconic. Her work looks like her work. It doesn't look like anyone else's.

I don't expect architects to have the protean capabilities of a Meryl Streep. I expect them to hone and sharpen their unique perspective on form and environment. Calatrava and Hadid are doing that.