Rome 2024

hektor

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If peopleof Munich are scared of costs for WOG in their prospering city, the people of Rome should have nightmares each night.

Sorry, but Mario Monti made perfect sense when he stopped it for 2020, and things haven't improved much since.

Germans are much different people and very sensitive in cost matters rather than Mediterranean people who dont think about the next day

Well at least Rome is still on after Munich dropped out. Looks like 2024 is gonna have slim pickings just like the last two bidding cycles (I'm referring to 2018-2020)

Yes, I'm begining to believe the field for 2024 won't be that deep. I highly doubt Berlin is seriously in for 2024 now after what happened with Munich. And well with Rome, the economic crisis isn't improving but getting worse. Can we really expect Rome to put in a bid for 2024 after they pulled their 2020 bid for these exact reasons?

ROME — Italian Premier Enrico Letta reiterated his support Wednesday for a possible bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics and promoted a new law to help build football stadiums.

“The Olympics in Italy is an objective within reach and a game we have to play,” Letta said. “We must have lofty ambitions.”

While Rome has not yet been officially selected, the capital — which hosted the 1960 Games — would be Italy’s likely candidate.

Rome was the first city to declare its candidacy for the 2020 Olympics but then-Premier Mario Monti refused to provide government financial backing and the bid was dropped.

Letta first voiced support for a 2024 bid earlier this year.

Other potential 2024 bids could come from Paris; Doha, Qatar; and cities in the United States and Africa.

Speaking at the Italian Olympic Committee, Letta also discussed a law that will allow Serie A soccer clubs to break their leases with city-owned stadiums and build new venues that they own and operate privately.

Approving the stadium law could be a major boost toward reversing the recent decline of Serie A, which has been marked by falling attendance, fan violence and racism.

“This is the appeal that I will make to parliament — that as of Jan. 1 there is a new law for modern venues,” Letta said.

Letta was also meeting Wednesday with the committee working on a bid to bring the 2019 Alpine skiing world championships to Cortina d’Ampezzo. Cortina, which hosted the 1956 Winter Olympics, is competing against Are, Sweden.

Letta responded positively when Italian rugby federation president Alfredo Gavazzi asked if he would support a bid for the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

“Of course,” Letta said. “And I want to inaugurate the World Cup as Premier.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/italian-premier-reiterates-support-for-2024-olympic-bid-with-rome-as-likely-candidate/2013/11/13/453cd0fe-4c50-11e3-bf60-c1ca136ae14a_story.html

All sounds rather promising...

Apparently Italy is still in recession and the French economy is now contracting, I wonder how this will affect the potential of Olympic bids from these 2 countries in mid-2015:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-business/european-business/european-recovery-in-trouble-as-german-economy-slows-and-french-gdp-falls/article15435574/#dashboard/follows/

Also, the article notes that France's credit has just been downgraded and Italy's youth unemployment rate is 40%, would an Olympic bid with the $10-15 billion cost involved be a good idea under these circumstances?

Also, the article notes that France's credit has just been downgraded and Italy's youth unemployment rate is 40%, would an Olympic bid with the $10-15 billion cost involved be a good idea under these circumstances?

Spending money during a recession is a *great* thing to do. Putting people to work, building stuff, is exctly what you should be doing. especially when much of the money is coming from outside the country. You just want to make sure you are spending money on the rights stuff - infrastructure, etc - and not waste and graft.

IOC President meets Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta
PDT_PM_BIG.jpg

22/11/2013

On the first day of a two-day visit to Rome, International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach today met Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta.

The pair discussed sports development in Italy, and the Italian Prime Minister expressed his strong support for a potential Olympic bid for 2024.

Accompanying the President for the meeting at the Prime Minister’s Office were IOC Member Mario Pescante, Italian National Olympic Committee President Giovanni Malagó and IOC Director General Christophe De Kepper.

Earlier, President Bach delivered a welcome address to the General Assembly of the European Olympic Committees (EOC), where he outlined his vision and ideas about the evolution of the IOC and his activities during his first two months as IOC President.

• 1 month later...
Rome considers bid for 2024 Olympic Games

Rome: Rome would be chosen by Italy to bid for the 2024 Olympic Games, the Italian Foreign Minister Emma Bonino said in Rome.

Bonino on Friday mentioned, "Italy's possible candidacy to host the 2024 Olympic Games" as one of the major upcoming events in the country offering important investment potential, media reported.

Later on the same day, the Foreign Ministry confirmed to media that "according to Bonino, Italy's capital Rome would be the city chosen for the possible candidacy."

Bonino made the remarks as she addressed heads of multinationals and investment funds gathered for the International Business Advisory Council (IBAC) 2014 in Rome.

Attracting foreign investment was a "priority" of the Italian coalition government, she highlighted.

In 2012, Rome was forced to drop its bid for the 2020 Olympic Games following the then Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti's announcement that it would not be "wise" for his emergency government to make such a financial commitment in times of deep economic crisis.

Ukraine are desperate for an Olympics, so now that we kind of know Lviv won't get 2022 Winter Games, I recon Kiev will Bid for 2024 Olympic Games, even if we think they won't win against Paris and Rome.

You mean no Rome. Even if Rome bids and goes the whole way this time, like it's been said earlier, Rome will never get the games. They will be "punished" if they go ahead for 2024 and not win, simply due to of course them not going ahead with their 2020 bid.

If Italy hadn't had an Olympics for a while, then that might be different. But they did have Torino 2006. So I do see them going through to Candidacy, but not getting anywhere near the games. Probably won't even come runners up if the bid race is too good.

You mean no Rome. Even if Rome bids and goes the whole way this time, like it's been said earlier, Rome will never get the games. They will be "punished" if they go ahead for 2024 and not win, simply due to of course them not going ahead with their 2020 bid.

If Italy hadn't had an Olympics for a while, then that might be different. But they did have Torino 2006. So I do see them going through to Candidacy, but not getting anywhere near the games. Probably won't even come runners up if the bid race is too good.

That is true, what I meant to say was, that Rome has a better chance of winning than Kiev does, for the simple fact that Rome hasn't hosted a Olympics for a while, while being a more organised and ready city than Kiev. Also, with Kiev still in the shadow of Russia and the problems Russia are facing, Kiev won't get the Olympics for a while. Rome will deffiently be a Candidate if they Bid, they will pass through the Candidate Phase IMO. I can see Usa Bidding for the 2024 Olympics, and I think Rome is still a contender, regardless of the punishment. I think it will be Paris, France - Rome, Italy - Durban, South Africa and maybe Los Angeles or Denver in Usa.

/\/\ For a "16-year old," you've got too much 2 say. :rolleyes:

That comment is ageist. I can say the same amount as a 40 year old can. Age is just a number, to an extent.

I'm sure.

You have some sort of obsession with my age. I am 16 weather you believe it or not. I won't put a picture up because anyone could be viewing it.

Would you stop with this load of BS already, geez. The IOC isn't going to "punish" Rome anymore than they would've punished St. Moritz 2022 for Berne ditching 2010 right after the short-list. Or if Munich ever bid again the IOC isn't going to do anything there either. The IOC should be greatful, actually, that they still have caliber cities wanting to put their names forward for the sake of their precious Games. Going by your "logic", your darling Almaty is doomed then since they didn't go ahead with their 2002 bid & pulled out.

This is more BS, too. You have no problem when it comes to Toronto in this aspect, despite Vancouver 2010, but say it's a negative for a Rome 2024. Double standards coming from you, to say the least. Rome would be a serious contender if they bid.

Also, it isn't like Rome went through to the Candidate stage and pulled out, meaning that the IOC sacrificed a spot for Rome for nothing, because Rome pulling out hurt Rome more than it hurt the IOC, as the IOC had suitable Bid from Tokyo, which won, and would of still won even if Rome didn't pull out IMO. If the IOC picked Rome for the Candidate stage, then Rome pulled out, then the IOC might of punished them, otherwise Istanbul wouldn't go through if Rome didn't pull out. Rome pulled out in the early stages in the Applicant stage, didn't hurt the IOC at all in my opinion. So all this talk about Rome will get punished in the 2024 Summer Olympic Games Bid Race, is rubbish, because like @FYI stated, Almaty pulled out of the 2002 race, is there Bid deffiently going to lose because of that? No.

Archived