Rome 2024

hektor

• 1 month later...

Olimpiadi 2024, Alemanno ci crede

11 Ottobre 2012 11:20 SPORT

(ANSA) - ROMA - 'Bisogna aspettare i risultati della designazione per le Olimpiadi 2020: se verrà scelta Tokyo o una città extraeuropea, allora nel 2024 c'e' la possibilità di scegliere una città europea. Speriamo di aver superato la crisi economica e nel 2013 chiunque sara' sindaco non potra' non candidare Roma'. Cosi' il sindaco di Roma Gianni Alemanno.'Le Olimpiadi devono tornare a Roma: nel 2020 non abbiamo potuto candidare la capitale per problemi extrasportivi e finanziari ma possiamo farcela nel 2024'.

http://www.corriere....003005315.shtml

Olympics 2024, Alemanno believe

October 11, 2012 11:20 SPORT

(ANSAmed) - ROME - 'You have to wait for the results of the designation for the Olympics 2020: if chosen Tokyo or city outside Europe, then in 2024 there' to choose a European city. We hope to have overcome the economic crisis and in 2013 everyone will be 'mayor can not' not nominate Rome '. So 'the mayor of Rome, Gianni Alemanno.' Olympics should return to Rome in 2020 we could not nominate the capital and financial problems extrasportivi but we can do it in 2024. ' (google translated)

• Like 1

/\/\ Uh-oh. Above news is NOT good for Istanbul. Those are 4 votes that will go to Tokyo.

Rome would be nice. Imagine the ceremonies being held at the Colosseum.

Why would they spend anymore on rehabilitating the Colosseum when (1) it is so bloody old, incomplete and antequated; (2) its bloody and gory history; (3) its infield is nowhere close to even a football pitch; (4) it's not seismically sound; and (5) its just an ancient monument and tourist stop? Get real, wilya.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Sorry to sound like a spoilsport, but Rome should really bury their dream of hosting another Olympic Games for the foreseeable future, for roughly the same reasons as Madrid should withdraw in this election cycle.

1) Italy's economy is a mess, with there being severe structural issues (including the role of government, a bloated bureaucracy and an excessive welfare state). The Eurozone (especially the European Stability Mechanism) is on the verge of providing major financial assistance. It's only a matter of time till that happens. It's not as bad as Spain yet, but Italian politicians have been very slow to react (despite Mario Monti's best attempts) and are plotting to sack the technocratic government. Most economists agree that this would be a recipe for disaster.

2) With all due respect to Rome (a beautiful city!), but the theme of a Mediterranean Olympics is somewhat getting old. We had Barcelona already, Istanbul is somewhat playing on the same theme (and the "New Frontier" argument). Meanwhile, there are major northern European nations (Germany and France, only about the largest ones by population size and influence in Europe) who have been skipped for Olympic bids and are currently superior in their economic capacity to manage the Olympic Games in their cities, have an increasing multicultural population and have been politically stable for decades.

3) Besides, Italy has had a shot at the Winter Games in Turin (in 2006), and it's not like Italians were particularly crazy about the Olympics in the Savoy Mountains.

4) Someone honestly needs to ask the hard questions here: Are Italians prepared to spend anywhere upwards of €15 billion (because that is effectively the price tag of a modern Olympics) for modernizing the Foro Italico, guaranteeing heightened security, calming down traffic (ZTLs may not be sufficient) and doing trial events. Not to speak of the Olympic IP laws, Olympic Lanes (can you imagine the reaction of car drivers?) and social unrest. Would Italians really feel comfortable with that? I honestly doubt it.

5) And once again, the narrative question: What would Rome, a former Olympic city, give to the Olympic Movement? What story would it tell that, say, Istanbul, Paris, Toronto and even Madrid could not?

But then, Romans themselves have to decide whether all the expense is worth it in a time when Italy really has bigger problems than hosting what is, let's face it, an extravaganza.

Well, not just Barcelona; but Athens already in 2004.

I think that's just the Rome mayor's office wanting to issue a press release. Not that it would carry any import with the Prime Minister's office.

The current Prime Minister was the key reason for why Rome 2020 went up in smoke. But there are no guarantees with another leader wanting his 15 minutes in the limelight...

You people make my head hurt when discussing Durban. Durban currently has the smallest airport of any summer host by a factor of 3 in the last 40 years. And it is smaller than pretty much every winter host as well with the exception of Torino (Lyon and Geneva serviced Albertville and Tokyo served Nagano). Transportation there makes Rio look like London. Brazil was smart enough to give Rio instead of Brasilia or Sao Paolo, SA will need to be smart enough to give Johannesburg or Cape Town. The IOC will be more flexible on dates, than it will be on location.

As for Rome, if the games are going to line-up for Europe like in 2012, they have a chance. But would be lower than Paris or Berlin because of Torino.

• Like 1

You people make my head hurt when discussing Durban. Durban currently has the smallest airport of any summer host by a factor of 3 in the last 40 years. And it is smaller than pretty much every winter host as well with the exception of Torino (Lyon and Geneva serviced Albertville and Tokyo served Nagano). Transportation there makes Rio look like London. Brazil was smart enough to give Rio instead of Brasilia or Sao Paolo, SA will need to be smart enough to give Johannesburg or Cape Town. The IOC will be more flexible on dates, than it will be on location.

Is an airport the be-all & end-all of bid city qualifications? I didn't hear the IOC complain when they convened there last year. And is Durban's airport locked in permanently from today -- with no room to expand until 2024 (12 years from now)? :blink: How did the 900 or so IOC Session attendees arrive in Durban, sahib? By overland safari? And like the crowds for the 2010 WC, many of those made connections at Jo'burg & CT...where for now many int'l flights go.

As far as CapeTown goes, so RSA, after abstaining from the 2020 run to save $50 million for starters on the campaign will sink another $500 mil for another megastadium if CapeTown were submitted when they had just spent some $400 million on Greenpoint Stadium? Doesn't sound like any sort of savings to me. :blink: Sounds more like an RSA gov't falling on its sword.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Baron, just out of interest: In your view, why is Durban such an appealing candidate?

I'm genuinely curious!

Johannesburg has an elevation issue coupled with the sailing venue likely being in Durban.

Cape Town seems like the best choice to me, they bid once and can build on that experience.

As for Rome I think there might be some backlash due to them withdrawing from the 2020 race. Anyone agree?

As for Rome I think there might be some backlash due to them withdrawing from the 2020 race. Anyone agree?

No. If anything, that should be seen as a prudent move. I don't see that as a negative. But it would be better if Italy and the whole euro zone were economically healthy again. That's the better, larger picture. Their turgid currency is dragging down the whole world economic recovery.

• Like 1

Had Rome formally submitted a bid, forced the IOC to begin evaluation and then withdrew, that might have been an issue, But they never got that far.

Note - I don't think either elevation nor a distant sailing venue will have any significant impact on a bid.

No. If anything, that should be seen as a prudent move. I don't see that as a negative. But it would be better if Italy and the whole euro zone were economically healthy again. That's the better, larger picture. Their turgid currency is dragging down the whole world economic recovery.

I think that after the Eurozone crisis resolves (which, lets be honest, it will eventually) and we were to see Madrid and Rome going for 2028, I think Italy's sensibility in the 2020 race (dropping out) will be a benefit. Madrid looks positively ridiculous in comparison - given that Spain is in an arguably far worse of position than Italy.

I think that after the Eurozone crisis resolves (which, lets be honest, it will eventually) and we were to see Madrid and Rome going for 2028, I think Italy's sensibility in the 2020 race (dropping out) will be a benefit. Madrid looks positively ridiculous in comparison - given that Spain is in an arguably far worse of position than Italy.

I agree. 2020 was too soon after Torino anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately athensfan you will have another opponent added for 2024

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/olympic_bids/future_bids_2016/1216136386.html

Rome To Bid For 2024 Olympic Games

The Associated Press reports that Rome is preparing to bid for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games. Rome dropped out of its bid for the 2020 Games for economic reasons.

Sunday Rome's Mayor Gianni Alemanno said, "we have to be ready in 2017 to again present a bid for the Olympics".

Rome dropped out of its 2020 bid in February, a day before the deadline for submissions of bid files to the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

Premier Mario Monti said at the time that the Italian government would not provide financial backing for an estimated $12.5 billion bid at a time of economic crisis.

The IOC requires government financial guarantees from all bid cities.

No word on whether there will be any government guarantees for 2024. Until we hear from the Italian government that an Olympic bid is a goer it doesn't matter what the mayor wants.

This is far from a certainty yet.

It's not unfortunate for me. My only hope is that the US hosts Symmer Games by 2032. If that doesn't happen, I'll be disappointed.

As for 2024, I wonder if Italy will stick this time.

Also, if we get Istanbul 2020 and Europe for 2022, I' think Paris is the only European city that would really threaten for 2024.

Not to

http://www.gamesbids...1216136386.html

Rome To Bid For 2024 Olympic Games

The Associated Press reports that Rome is preparing to bid for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games. Rome dropped out of its bid for the 2020 Games for economic reasons.

Sunday Rome's Mayor Gianni Alemanno said, "we have to be ready in 2017 to again present a bid for the Olympics".

Rome dropped out of its 2020 bid in February, a day before the deadline for submissions of bid files to the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

Premier Mario Monti said at the time that the Italian government would not provide financial backing for an estimated $12.5 billion bid at a time of economic crisis.

The IOC requires government financial guarantees from all bid cities.

Not to get into semantics here but "Rome is preparing to bid for 2024" is not the same as "Rome to bid for 2024." This is a city and a country less than a year removed from dropping out of the 2020 race due to economic reasons. And like Rob said and the article alludes to, there are financial guarantees they need that they might not get. So there MIGHT be another opponent added for 2024. We're a ways off from 'will'