Rome 2024

hektor

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still wouldn't rule out a Rome 2024. Look at the financial crisis in Spain and Madrid still Bid for 2012, 2016 and 2020. Rome would have a much stronger Bid then Madrid had IMO and Madrid came 3rd in 2012, 2nd in 2016 and 3rd in 2020.

I still wouldn't rule out a Rome 2024. Look at the financial crisis in Spain and Madrid still Bid for 2012, 2016 and 2020. Rome would have a much stronger Bid then Madrid had IMO and Madrid came 3rd in 2012, 2nd in 2016 and 3rd in 2020.

But Spain wasn't in financial crisis when they bid for 2012 though & even for 2016. It wasn't 'til the 2020 bid that their economy came seriously into question & they tried to combat that with their "austerity" bid, which obviously didn't do them any good.

But Spain wasn't in financial crisis when they bid for 2012 though & even for 2016. It wasn't 'til the 2020 bid that their economy came seriously into question & they tried to combat that with their "austerity" bid, which obviously didn't do them any good.

IMO, the financial situation won't stop Italian authorities from Bidding for 2024 with Rome. The only thing that is going to stop them Bidding is a referendum NO vote.

Guys, relax, Tony has a mole planted in the Italian government telling him everything being said about the bid. So I believe what Tony says.

Very funny. Seriously, I don't think Rome would Bid and pull out again.

WRONG

During 2012 and 2016 Spain wasn't in economic crisis as FYI. Tony, if you forget that, in 2020 race we have only THREE contenders, so staying in third place is equal in last place. Also, beside a close call in 2012, keeping in second place during 2016 wasn't exactly a sign of "goodwill" when Madrid lose to Rio with an average difference of 3:1 votes. With this result will consider that Madrid was mostly a sacrificial lamb.

Well, the financial crisis stopped Italy in 2020. And let's not forget that the current government is more rejective to the idea of a SOG. I know we have our favorites, but remember what happened before,,,

IMO, the financial situation won't stop Italian authorities from Bidding for 2024 with Rome. The only thing that is going to stop them Bidding is a referendum NO vote.

Maybe not, but just like Madrid 2020, a Rome 2024 bid would suffer much in the same way that the Spanish bid did. Especially if we also have stronger bids on the table from the likes of Paris & Berlin. Why would the IOC go with the Italians then if they still have a dire economic situation hanging over them. Like 2020, the IOC would then pick the safer option for 2024 (of course having Durban in the mix too, twists things a bit, but pretty much stays the same in the Euro-category). Especially when Paris & Berlin haven't hosted the longest for a Summer Olympics than Rome did.

• 1 month later...

Rome speed up Plans for 2024 Bid, but still lack Government Support. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2024/1019604-rome-speed-up-plans-for-2024-bid-but-still-lack-government-support - Source: Inside the Games.

• 1 month later...
Bach Says Rome 2024 Bid Would Be a Strong One
ROME June 9, 2014 (AP)

IOC President Thomas Bach offered his encouragement Monday to a possible Rome bid for the 2024 Olympics, saying the Italian capital would be a "very strong contender."

Rome, which hosted the 1960 Games, pulled out of the bidding for the 2020 Olympics when the Italian government refused to provide financial backing. No decision has yet been made on whether to bid for 2024.

"It's not a secret, a Rome bid for the 2024 Games would be very strong," Bach told a Rome conference celebrating the centenary of the Italian Olympic Committee. "Italy is a country with a great passion for sport and great athletes and is efficient in hospitality and organization.

"It would be a very strong bid which would have the sympathy of a lot of people, not only in the Olympic family but inside the whole movement."

A Rome bid could face competition from Paris; Doha, Qatar; Istanbul, Turkey, and cities from the United States, Germany and South Africa.

Bids will be submitted to the IOC next year, and the host city will be selected in 2017.

Bach also said the International Olympic Committee is looking at shaking up the bid procedure in the future.

"We need to change philosophy," he said. "In the past we needed to build many stadiums with huge capacity and with so many technical procedures to respect.

"At the time maybe it was right but it doesn't respond to today's demands. We have to think about how the games could enter into the social fabric of the host country. We have to be more flexible, starting with the program, and understand how to best manage costs."

Changes to the bid process are among the issues being considered as part of Bach's "Agenda 2020," his blueprint for the future of the Olympic movement. Recommendations will be put to a vote at a special IOC meeting in Monaco in December.

Bach also sought to assuage concerns over Rio de Janeiro's delayed preparations for the 2016 Olympics, saying "great progress" has been made recently.

IOC members have openly said the games are at risk and preparations are the "worst" in recent memory. The IOC has sent special advisers to Rio to help organizers get on track.

"There is no time to lose but we are confident because everyone is working at close quarters and with a great collaborative spirit," Bach said. "I am certain that the Rio Olympics will be full of typical Brazilian enthusiasm. We have seen great progress in the last few months, in particularly in the city of Rio de Janeiro."

Ap

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/bach-rome-2024-bid-strong-24057895

I stopped reading that as soon as it had "Bach says"

Yeah, bla bla as usual. And even more evidence that there's no evidence he's particularly pushing Africa, given that he's just charming his hosts wherever he travels.

Yeah, bla bla as usual. And even more evidence that there's no evidence he's particularly pushing Africa, given that he's just charming his hosts wherever he travels.

Right now, he strikes me as the stereotypical tourist with a bunch of stickers on his suitcase saying where he's been. As if we're supposed to read anything into that.

Archived