Rome 2024

hektor

At this early stage, it's still uncertain for whomever might bid, not just the U.S. And yeah, France might have its issues, but it's not like Italy wouldn't either. They'd still have their economic concerns to deal with which was the main driving force of pulling the plug on their 2020 bid. Even any U.S. bid would have issues as well. No Olympic bid is ever "perfect" anyway. And BTW, it's shouldn't *have*, NOT shouldn't "of".

I'm not going to deny that a Rome VS Paris race would be a close race, because it would. And just like the 2022 Race with Oslo, Krakow, Beijing and Almaty is splitting opinions, it will be the same with the 2024 Race with Rome VS Paris and maybe VS Usa Bid VS Durban. Like you have your reasons of supporting Paris, I have my reasons as a neutral for supporting Rome. Like I said, France has it's problems with Hollande, and fair enough, Rome is not a perfect Bid, but I would like to see an Olympic Games in Rome. Paris will get it's turn eventually.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every bidding race has it's "splitting opinions", though. But it's more about whose got the most pragmatic opinions. Again, it's not about "supporting". Like I said, support who you want, I don't give a f@ck. I just have a problem when "supporting" becomes things like "definite frontrunners" when we don't even know all the clear variables & intangibles of the 2024 race.

As a matter of fact, I actually would prefer Rome a bit more over Paris, but given the nature of this Olympic bidding Game, I in all honesty, would still have to give the edge to Paris. But anyway, I digress now, bcuz I don't want to continue going around in circles with you here.

Uh oh...PM Letta is resigning, his own party threw him out in favour of Florence mayor Renzi. Question marks now whether the coalition government will continue with Renzi, who's more oeft-wing than Letta.

So, more uncertain times in Italy, and Letta seemed committed to a Rome bid...

Uh oh...PM Letta is resigning, his own party threw him out in favour of Florence mayor Renzi. Question marks now whether the coalition government will continue with Renzi, who's more oeft-wing than Letta.

So, more uncertain times in Italy, and Letta seemed committed to a Rome bid...

Actually these are terrible news from Rome campaign. Letta was the principal defender of the bid and this resign put a bigger weakness in the bid. Also, if my memory is right, Renza was one of the critics for the 2020 Olympic bid. If Renza is the new PM, maybe Rome bid will be unhold for these years -Or maybe the italians won't compete after all-.

Now, I want to see Tony's reaction to these news, especially with his crystal ball prediction that Rome WILL win 2024 - Why didn't he predict this early :D?

Actually these are terrible news from Rome campaign. Letta was the principal defender of the bid and this resign put a bigger weakness in the bid. Also, if my memory is right, Renza was one of the critics for the 2020 Olympic bid. If Renza is the new PM, maybe Rome bid will be unhold for these years -Or maybe the italians won't compete after all-.

Now, I want to see Tony's reaction to these news, especially with his crystal ball prediction that Rome WILL win 2024 - Why didn't he predict this early :D?

Well put it this way, I'm not going to be naive about the situation. I was wrong in saying they WILL, I should of said in my opinion they COULD. Also. this does mean there is a higher risk of Rome not Bidding, but I stick by my view that IF Rome does Bid, they COULD win.

• 2 weeks later...

Another day, another Italian PM.

Prime_Minister_Renzi.jpg

Matteo Renzi .. born 1975 .. at 39 years old the youngest prime minister in the history of Italy .. new blood another generation
the average age of the ministers is 47 years .. the youngest in the history of the Republic
it looks different this time
Italy gives the chance and the confidence to rule the country for the youth
hope it will be new and better era for Italy, younger generations have always better views for the future
ambitions to be better than who preceded them and hope for their country, themselves and future generations will motivate them
unlike the older generation who just think about themselves and the days left for them in life
could this move change Italy for better, get out of the crisis and all other problems in the country?
give the confidence to the younger generation could also help sports, they could give more attention to any bid to host continental/International sports events, and to build, improve and renovate their sports infrastructure
Is it good news for Rome 2024 or any Italian bid for the Olympics or the Euro in the near future? time will tell.

could this move change Italy for better, get out of the crisis and all other problems in the country?

give the confidence to the younger generation could also help sports, they could give more attention to any bid to host continental/International sports events, and to build, improve and renovate their sports infrastructure
Is it good news for Rome 2024 or any Italian bid for the Olympics or the Euro in the near future? time will tell.

Given that Renza was one big critic of Rome 2020, I may wait until confirm those feelings. Also, with the new Cabinet, we could see interesting clashes among interests -Especially with the New Centre Right entering the power-.

• 3 weeks later...

Rome 2024 bid unaffected by financial problems, claim CONI

March 11 - Rome's planned bid for the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games is unaffected by the recent Government bailout of the city, the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) has told insidethegames.

An emergency decree was passed by the new Government of Prime Minister Matteo Renzi to bail out the Rome City Council after Mayor Ignazio Marino warned essential services would be halted unless financial help was received.

Around €570 million (£475 million/$787 million) was allocated to pay the salaries of municipal workers and ensure services such as public transport and garbage collection.

In return, Rome must outline plans to reduce debt, justify its current levels of staff, seek more efficient ways of running its public services and sell off some of its real estate.

This comes after Rome's finances sat in a precarious state for years - having been bailed out by the Central Government every year since 2008 - and its current debt is not expected to be paid off until 2048.

In this context it seems hard to see the Olympic bid making the start-line, let alone end in success, although the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) insist differently.

Speaking to insidethegames today, a CONI spokesman said that "Italy is still thinking about a possible bid but no decision has been made and no decision will be made until early next year."

full article

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2024/1018831-exclusive-rome-2024-bid-unaffected-by-financial-problems-claim-coni

Seriously, a city that gets a bailout every year really shouldn't spend money on the Olympics.

I lnow there's the theory that investment triggers growth, but would it be morally accepable to dish out billions to meet IOC demands while the city council needs to ask central government to pay for garbage collection? I think not.

Contrary to a certain person's insistence, there is NO way Rome is winning 2024.

But of course not. They deprived the IOC (and not only them...) of a 2020 bid book. Even with finances like Qatar, they couldn't overcome that obstacle. Right?

It's not that they deprived the IOC of a bid book, it's just that they bailed out last minute despite having done the necessary work. Why go through all that if you were going to be shot down by your government? Especially when Rome was the first to come out and say it wanted to bid.

If Rome does bid again, it has to be committed this time. A scenario similar to 2020 could very well happen or worse, they bail out post Applicant phase or after they've made their Candidate books.

David, keep in mind that when Rome declared that they were bidding, in like what, sometime in 2009, Berlusconi (who was then PM of Italy) was totally behind their 2020 bid. It wasn't 'til his resignation, & cost-cutting Monti came in (just a mere three months before the 2020 Application bid books were due) that Rome's 2020 Olympic bid came seriously into question. So of course CONI had everything ready to go, only awaiting the final government approvals. So really can't fault them for any of that.

If anything, the Italians switching out PM's like underwear is what might not bode well for another bid. But them having everything done & then a newly appointed government saying is no is not going to impede anything.

Archived