Rome 2024

hektor

For me, Paris, Durban and an American city would be the toughest competitors -- if they bid.

If Tokyo gets 2020, however, that opens the door to other European candidates for 2024 and may diminish American chances. I still think the IOC would pick Paris over Rome though (if they have the choice).

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not unfortunate for me. My only hope is that the US hosts Symmer Games by 2032. If that doesn't happen, I'll be disappointed.

As for 2024, I wonder if Italy will stick this time.

Also, if we get Istanbul 2020 and Europe for 2022, I' think Paris is the only European city that would really threaten for 2024.

if USA takes 2024 Olympics i am sure you will say to us, that they must bid again for 2032 or 2036 because then you will not like to wait until 2050s.

if USA takes 2024 Olympics i am sure you will say to us, that they must bid again for 2032 or 2036 because then you will not like to wait until 2050s.

As I've said many times, I expect a wider gap between American Games. If the US were fortunate enough to host 2024, I don't think there would be any point in bidding again for Summer Games until the 50s or 60s.

I have never campaigned for frequent American Games. I think it is vital that the Olympics be spread around the world. My only hope is that the US next hosts Summer Games before Winter Games because I feel a 50 year gap between Summer Games is too great for the US.

George, I'm not sure how you decided I thought the US should host every other Olympics. I do not now and have never held such an opinion.

Other than to curry favor with the IOC (who isn't all that dumb), I don't see what points Rome gains by this very premature announcement. To scare Durban, Doha, Dubai and Baku? :blink:

I was thinking about that as well. I wonder if the Italians are worried that Istanbul is gaining traction and could diminish their chances. Announcing Rome's candidacy (which must surely also imply votes for Tokyo) could be an attempt to lure voters away from Istanbul.

Who's to say it's an "announcement" anyhow?

There's no information on when this was said, to whom, or in what context.

Try this....

"Do you think we'll bid for the next summer Games Mr Mayor?"

"We have to be ready in 2017 to again present a bid for the Olympics"

"Do you think we will be?"

"I don't know. It depends on the economy and the government"

OK, it's probably unlikely that the Associated Press would weave that in a story saying Rome will bid for 2024, but you get my point. There's shades of grey between this hypothetic interiew and a full-blown announcement.

And even if it is an announcement it could be, as Baron says, very premature with little rhyme or reason behind it, let alone government support.

Try this....

"Do you think we'll bid for the next summer Games Mr Mayor?"

"We have to be ready in 2017 to again present a bid for the Olympics"

"Do you think we will be?"

"I don't know. It depends on the economy and the government"

OK, it's probably unlikely that the Associated Press would weave that in a story saying Rome will bid for 2024, but you get my point. There's shades of grey between this hypothetic interiew and a full-blown announcement.

And even if it is an announcement it could be, as Baron says, very premature with little rhyme or reason behind it, let alone government support.

You're right. They didn't say "we are bidding" but they did show interest. But then again no city has said "we are bidding". But look at the cities that have said they are interested. Paris, Nairobi, Toronto, Doha, some American cities. We'll probably see a few of these cities as the 2024 finalists, so if Rome wants the games they'll need to put their name out there.

Couldn't agree more. Once again, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here. This is not an announcement and I think we're reading too much into it if we treat it like one. All that we learned here is that Rome is LOOKING AT bidding for 2024 and that the mayor supports it (although he may want to re-think his timeframe.. it's 2015 they'll have to submit a bid, so they might want to be prepared by then). Hardly a major revelation for a city that was in the 2020 race until they had to drop out for reasons largely out of their control. It would be a more serious announcement (not to mention a bigger story) if it was indicated Rome would not be pursuing 2024.

If berlin also bid you have all fucked up.

Who f*cked up? Us??? Most regulars here would welcome a Berlin bid and would also consider it a strong bid. It would still need to compete, though, and it would still find the likes of Durban and Paris (assuming they join in) tough competitors.

Berlin sounds great! I think a winter games in Munich sounds more exciting though. Rome 2024 has the same economic challenges of Rome 2020. The economy in Italy is still struggling unfortunately.

I'm still hoping that the U.S. or Canada will put together something that could work and bring the summer games to North America.

Berlin sounds great! I think a winter games in Munich sounds more exciting though. Rome 2024 has the same economic challenges of Rome 2020. The economy in Italy is still struggling unfortunately.

I'm still hoping that the U.S. or Canada will put together something that could work and bring the summer games to North America.

You want a Canada-America combined bid?

You want a Canada-America combined bid?

I'm not sure if combined bids are allowed by the IOC although we do hear about them a lot. I will support any U.S. bid ( even if it's Tulsa :( ) but if Canada tries with Toronto, I think the city has a solid chance.

Rome and Italy have serious problems to deal with, problems that the IOC won't be able to ignore. The Italian economy is not quite on the verge of collapse (unlike Spain's) or beset by separatist aspirations, but its finances are a mess and its reputation in terms of infrastructure, good governance and sports enthusiasm (besides football) is at a nadir. It offers no added value or narrative whatsoever, especially in light of the fact that we've had a Mediterranean-based Olympic Games already (Athens 2004 and maybe Istanbul 2020). These are structural problems that won't be fixed by 2016/17. And frankly, the world has become a bigger place since 1960 and the circus has moved on to newer, more exciting locales. Also, hasn't Italy had enough? After all, unlike Germany or France, they've had an Olympic Games in the recent past. Germany has been waiting for 40 years for a Summer Games and 76 years for a Winter Games. France has been waiting even longer, just in reverse order.

Bearing in mind that the Olympic Games are not known as fiscal winners for the host cities concerned, for Rome to even contemplate applying for them at this stage smacks of irresponsibility (similar to Madrid's increasingly ill-advised 2020 bid). It's the same reason why I think that a Berlin bid is likely to be dead-on-arrival. For Germany, it might be a clever idea to bag Munich 2022, help to sabotage Thomas Bach's ambitions and go for the Summer Olympics in the 2030s with an economically stronger Berlin or a candidate like Hamburg that could start gaining some additional experience in the 2020s.

If Germany doesn't get it, at least pick a relatively stable candidate in terms of economy and narrative, say Toronto, LA (assuming it follows the typical model of US-based Olympics), Paris (provided France doesn't slide ever-deeper into recession) or Shanghai. At least, these locales would provide a stable economy (relatively speaking) and a coherent story for the Olympic Movement (Toronto: Return to Canada; LA: Back to the roots of a successful renewal; Paris: Pierre de Coubertin's dream, updated for the 21st century; Shanghai: Beijing wasn't a fluke, and we're here to stay).

• 3 weeks later...

Rome Mayor Pushes New Olympic Bid

Rome Mayor Gianni Alemano says his city is ready to bid again for the Olympics – 2024 he says.

Rome was in the early race for 2020 and considered a favorite. But the bid was scuttled in February when the Italian government refused to support the campaign, citing the economic crisis faced by Italy.

Alemano acknowledged the disappointment of dropping out and saluted the representatives of the three remaining cities – Istanbul, Madrid and Tokyo – all here in Rome as observers.

“We’ll be back for 2024. We’re doing this not just because we are a proud city, but because we believe in the Olympics,” said the mayor.

ATR

• 9 months later...

Italian Premier hints at bid for 2024 Olympic games

CERNOBBIO, Italy (AP) -- Italian Premier Enrico Letta believes Italy can form a bid for the 2024 Olympics.

Speaking on the sideline of an event in northern Italy, Letta says "we can seriously bid to host the 2024 Olympics. I consider it something doable, something we should do."

The announcement comes a day after the IOC awarded the 2020 Summer Games to Tokyo, making Italian officials think that 2024 will be the right time to bring the games back to Europe.

Rome was the first city to declare its bid for 2020, but last year premier Mario Monti refused to provide government financial backing.

Letta adds that "when there are deadlines we work better. ... It's something we'll work on."

While Letta did not specify a city, it would likely be Rome again.

Well they would be a likely front runner. And by acting fast they probably try to deter other European cities from starting something. Paris for instance does not need a lot of convincing.

• 2 months later...

Just read this on SSC:

Milan supports Rome, but in return will have a new real sports city after EXPO 2015.

No fratricide derby. The Italian candidate to host the Olympics 2024 will be Rome, not Milan. Giovanni Malagò, CONI president, met the President of Lombardy Region, Roberto Maroni, and at the end of a chat than an hour, the agreement would come. Milan will not run for the Olympics, however, CONI will support fully the idea of ​​creating a real sports city on the "rubble" of Expo 2015. A project that include the birth of a new stadium, a new sports arena, an Olympic swimming pool, the ice palace and also saving the Museo del Ghisallo.

Archived