Rome 2024

hektor

I'd like to raise the question. Rome would have been a favourite if it had been allowed to bid.

Given that the decision not to bid was taken at PM level, and given that Italian PMs have generally a short duration in office, in case of 2020 Games in Tokyo, could Rome try again ?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Rome should bid again. They would give Paris a good run for their money if they threw in their hat, too. I can imagine it now; a Paris, Rome, Istanbul, U.S., South Africa showdown. How hot of an Olympic bid race would that be! Would be the hotest since the 2012 one.

I think it's 85% certain that if Durban bids they will win. Durban is only competing against themselves. For Durban, the identity and quality of the other bidders is irrelevant.

Disagree ... I think Durban will need a trial run before South Africa wins in 2028.

Up against the world's great cities in New York, Paris, Rome etc and South Africa offer their 3rd city?

And i'm getting tired of the South Africa excuse to say the world have been to Africa!

That being said a SA's bid would have very high chances.

Now back to Rome, well if they bid and Madrid didn't get the 2020 games, they can win.

But i predict 2024 will be one of the most fantastic race ever with Madrid, Paris, maybe a german city & Istanbul & Rome in europe and that's without counting out a possible SA, Middle East, US bid.

I just feel Rome has something a little more charming than Madrid, Paris & Istanbul in people vision of the world so i wouldn't be surprise to see it win.

On the other hand, if the shortlist is Madrid, Paris, Rome, Istanbul & maybe cities from SA & USA, you would have to be very clever to bet who will win, and Rome could go out in the first round or even win!

Disagree ... I think Durban will need a trial run before South Africa wins in 2028.

Up against the world's great cities in New York, Paris, Rome etc and South Africa offer their 3rd city?

I'm surprised how uninformed you are of the SA cities' chances, considering you are so very well informed on other cities' chances. Durban will be RSA's Olympic city because:

1. It offers the more summer-like climate in the July-August timeframe desired by the North over Jo'burg and Capetown, which are both very wintry in July-August.

2. Jo'burg also has an altitude problem.

3. Capetown opted to have a soccer only stadium in 2010. Durban went with one which can accommodate an Olympic track in a tract of land that can easily become another Olympic Park hosting a few other venues. Do you really think Capetown will spend another $600 million for yet another behemoth stadium??

Why do you think they offered Durban to host the 2011 IOC Session over #1 and #2??

Need one say more?

If Cape Town bids again maybe (second run). But the third city from a country that has no experience with multi-sporting events winning without a doubt is pretty boastful. They should first focus on a CWG then an Olympics 2022/2028 or 2026/2032.

If Cape Town bids again maybe (second run). But the third city from a country that has no experience with multi-sporting events winning without a doubt is pretty boastful. They should first focus on a CWG then an Olympics 2022/2028 or 2026/2032.

Uhmmm... so World Cup 2010 is cottage cheese in terms of organization???

Rogge certainly was very enthusiastic about Durban after the 2011 IOC Session.

Uhmmm....Atlanta was like #15 in 1990; Vancouver is certainly #3. Don't u think the IOC members can tell the difference why they are being offered City #3 over an inland, high-altitude #1 or a chilly #2 which will have to invest at least another $650 mil for ANOTHER mega-stadium?? :blink:

Uhmmm... so World Cup 2010 is cottage cheese in terms of organization???

Rogge certainly was very enthusiastic about Durban after the 2011 IOC Session.

Uhmmm....Atlanta was like #15 in 1990; Vancouver is certainly #3. Don't u think the IOC members can tell the difference why they are being offered City #3 over an inland, high-altitude #1 or a chilly #2 which will have to invest at least another $650 mil for ANOTHER mega-stadium?? :blink:

No, but what each city had max 7 games? The Olympics are a whole different ball game. Its like hosting 28 world championships and anticipating more tourists and athletes at the same time.

Okay. For the WOG Toronto or Montreal could not host so technically the IOC went to the largest city that could host the WOG.

85% chances? Now we're getting percentages 5 years out?

What happened to this forum?

Don't be so literal. I'm saying IF Durban bids for 2024, I think they are very likely to win, but not absolutely guaranteed.

If you think that's an inappropriate or outlandish thing to write, then I have to ask what you expect to read on these boards.

I think some people like to diss Durban's chances bcuz it would "block" a bid from a certain North American country north of the U.S.

I also wish some people would get the notion outta their head that South Africa's "needs" to give the IOC the most "glamourous" locale (ala Paris, New York & London) for the first African Olympics.

For the IOC, I'm sure the most important thing to them, for the first African Games, will be that it's going to be a capable & feasible plan that can be executed. It's not like we're talking about Port Elizabeth or East London here. Durban is still very large, not much smaller than Cape Town, & just as large, metro wise, as Rome.

Africa is going to be different, & the IOC knows that they're going to have to do a little give-N-take in order to finally bring the Olympic Games to the African continent. N not necessarily about the most London or Beijing-esque type Games.

No, but what each city had max 7 games? The Olympics are a whole different ball game. Its like hosting 28 world championships and anticipating more tourists and athletes at the same time.

Okay. For the WOG Toronto or Montreal could not host so technically the IOC went to the largest city that could host the WOG.

So what? What hosting experience did Beijing have? Sochi? Moscow? Sydney? Montreal? etc. etc. That's why there are TEST events a year before.

Have you heard of the Olympic Knowledge Transfer program? Do u think the South Africans are so green and ignorant as to KNOW nothing about organizing? By the time Sochi hosts, their core people would have interned on Beijing, Vancouver and London. Selected host cities can now 'shadow' at least 3 actual Olympic Games before unveiling their own.

The competition is already look fierce 12 years away. Also, cities who bid for the first time usually don't win.

Atlanta and Sydney did it.

SA could be like Australia and the UK. Cape Town 2004 paving the way for Durban, as Brisbane and Melbourne did for Sydney, and Birmingham and Manchester for London.

Atlanta and Sydney did it.

SA could be like Australia and the UK. Cape Town 2004 paving the way for Durban, as Brisbane and Melbourne did for Sydney, and Birmingham and Manchester for London.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but many more international cities are looking to bid for 2024. Much more then 1996 and 2000, Durban could win them but I think NA has the best chance.

The Euro Zone is putting pressure on Italy to get their financial house in order. The citizens of Roma could care less about the Olympics, what’s on the mind of Rome is AC Roma. Again I have put before let the people decide. I think those in Rome would say NO! To the Olympics. Just look at Torino at the sold out seats. Sure boost tourism, its Rome.

3rd city at what though?

Number 1 city in terms of sporting offer and location.

Number 1 city for weather at games time

Number 2 city for population

Number 3 city for economy

Number 1 city for hosting of major conventions

Number 1 city for domestic tourism, but no.2 for international

It might be number 3 in terms how people would normally peg their view and knowledge of SA, but the important assets for hosting are very different.

Archived