Melbourne 2024

Melbourne could always build an iconic building for the games. Numerous cities have done so for the world's fair. IE the Eiffel Tower.

Buildings don't become iconic overnight. It takes time from a building to become an icon. New York built the Unisphere for the 1964 World's Fair. NOT an icon. Can't assume that building a grand structure is going to make it iconic, even if it's tied in with a big event.

Buildings don't become iconic overnight. It takes time from a building to become an icon. New York built the Unisphere for the 1964 World's Fair. NOT an icon. Can't assume that building a grand structure is going to make it iconic, even if it's tied in with a big event.

The Unisphere isn't really a grand project though: it's just a fountain. And it's still probably the most famous thing in Queens.

Lots of major projects built for the world's fairs like the Golden Gate Bridge have become symbols of their cities. Is it guaranteed? No. But I assume most people in Melbourne want a city defining structure, and associating it with a mega event has historically helped.

Suuuuuure....in times of tight budgets and discussions about exploding costs, that's definitely the right approach.

I didn't say they should or would. I said that many cities have chosen to build a new structure for the world's fair, and Melbourne could do it for the Olympics if it chose to.

Most iconic structures are not white elephants and have some legitimate purpose. A distinctive new 375 meter skyscraper would likely not be a waste of money and would dominate the skyline of Melbourne.

Most iconic structures are not white elephants and have some legitimate purpose. A distinctive new 375 meter skyscraper would likely not be a waste of money and would dominate the skyline of Melbourne.

Melbourne already has plenty of tall and distinctive skyscrapers. It's an area where it leads the pack when it comes to having the tallest and most distinctive of Oz cities.

1-DSC_0063.JPG

They might end up with something hidious.

And that's why a city should hire an architectural firm instead of a modernist artist. I honestly can't remember a single piece of modern public art that I like. I'm sure there are examples, but I can't think of any.

When I worked at marine research lab the department of ecology hired an artist to create a salmon statue for the lobby. Based on the result I can only assume the artist had never seen a fish.

Melbourne already has plenty of tall and distinctive skyscrapers. It's an area where it leads the pack when it comes to having the tallest and most distinctive of Oz cities.

They are all basically glass boxes, though. To be distinctive skyscrapers have to be visually unique.

The whole idea of a city building something iconic which isn't even a venue just to increase its bidding chances is so outrageously absurd IMO. At least for the likes of Melbourne, I could see some senseless Middle East wannabe doing this, but certainly nowhere in the (politically, not geographically) western world such plans would go through nowadays.

• Like 1

They are all basically glass boxes, though. To be distinctive skyscrapers have to be visually unique.

First Barcelona and now your saying Melbourne does not have any iconic buildings? Does Eureka Tower (in my humble opinion it is one of the most beautiful skyscrapers in the world) or Flinders St. Station ring bells? Or generic icons like the trolley?

flinders_st_station_melbourne_v151111_1.

melbourne_city_tram.jpg

205734ic2i7mokcd3ke8ks.jpg

You are right ,Melbourne is a great city,but you wouldnt host a summer games in September.

As you wouldnt host an Olympics in March in New York,London or Paris.

Comparing September in Melbourne to March in NYC, London or Paris is totally off. Melbourne's average temp in the second half of September is almost identical to London in June.

I get that, if it were bidding, this would pose a challenge - but it is not a write off. With an honest and well played bid this could be navigated. Also as others have pointed out - the IOC may relax in future, particularly if interest dwindles. To lose an 'old reliable' option in challenging times might cause an exception. However - I still think at least the first week would need to be in Sept. Perhaps a 22 Sept start date (as I think was proposed for 1996?)

That aside - without Melbourne, Australia's chances to host again are diminished significantly. I just cant see Brisbane stacking up - it has half a century of work ahead of it. Next best chance is a second Sydney Games - which I wouldn't mind!

I get that, if it were bidding, this would pose a challenge - but it is not a write off. With an honest and well played bid this could be navigated. Also as others have pointed out - the IOC may relax in future, particularly if interest dwindles. To lose an 'old reliable' option in challenging times might cause an exception. However - I still think at least the first week would need to be in Sept. Perhaps a 22 Sept start date (as I think was proposed for 1996?)

That aside - without Melbourne, Australia's chances to host again are diminished significantly. I just cant see Brisbane stacking up - it has half a century of work ahead of it. Next best chance is a second Sydney Games - which I wouldn't mind!

Well Melbourne, despite being a superb bid in '96 did not exactly win. I think weather had a lot to do with it, as long as there is an opponent city that proposes a more manageable and hospitable period in line with TV schedules for the event Melbourne will loose.

Comparing September in Melbourne to March in NYC, London or Paris is totally off. Melbourne's average temp in the second half of September is almost identical to London in June.

Ok,comparing London in March to Sep in Melbourne is a little unfair,but a better comparison would be London in May.Unpredictable,a lot of rain,with the occasional warm day,but rarely breaking the 20 deg C mark.

Outdoor events would be guaranteed to be rain affected in some manner.

August,Sept and October are Melbourne's wettest 3 months of the year,with an average of over 10 days of main per month.

If the AOC we to put Melbourne up for a September Olympics,this may prove to be a massive weak point on its bid and you can guarantee that opposition bidding cities will be,in some way,pushing this message to the IOC.I can only imagine IOC voting members visiting Melbourne before the bid announcement in September,wearing overcoats and dodging rain whilst they inspect the venues.

The AOC know this,and while many are pointing a bias towards John Coates,i know in the past that Phil Coles and also Kevan Gosper(a melbournian) has expressed their concerns over a Melbourne Olympic scheduling problem.

What were the exact proposed dates for Melbourne's 1996 bid anyway. Does anyone know.

I've seen them somewhere and if I'm not mistaken they were similar to Sydney's. In 1996 that would have meant September 13th-29th or a week later... either one of those I think.

• Like 1

Dates of the Melbourne 1996 Olympics: September 21 to October 6 (Saturday to a Sunday) One assumes that the Opening Ceremony would have been held on Friday afternoon/evening on the 20th. - Source, my bid books of course, I looked at the chart of the proposed sports dates.

Sydney was September 15th to October 1st.

If Melbourne were to bid again, we'd solely propose to host in September. Perhaps the 7th to 22nd of September if it's 2024 (with the Opening Ceremony on Friday the 6th). The AFL and NRL calendar would have to change, but this simply means ending the season in August (and starting the season earlier). Perhaps the Grand Final of the AFL ending mid August? This would probably mean the removal of the pre-season championship or perhaps using alternative venues for the event,

Edited by Lord David

Dates of the Melbourne 1996 Olympics: September 21 to October 6 (Saturday to a Sunday) One assumes that the Opening Ceremony would have been held on Friday afternoon/evening on the 20th. - Source, my bid books of course, I looked at the chart of the proposed sports dates.

Sydney was September 15th to October 1st.

Looking at Melbourne's weather records dated 21st Sept- 6th Oct 1996

http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/MELBOURNE/09-1996/948680.htm

Ave low Temp- 9.6 dec C (49 deg f)

Ave high Temp-16.7 deg C (62 deg f)

Number of rain days -11 ( out of 16 days)

In summary,Melbourne 1996 would of been miserable,cold and wet.

How is it a mistake? It's not the the June/July/August people would normally want, but still far better than October, or even November, when we hosted in 1956. If Melbourne were to bid and win, it will be because of other qualities other than the proposed dates. September seems fine, even at the risk of rainy days. Heck, we'd probably promote that "four seasons in one day" motif as part of our bid.