Melbourne 2024

Well London has finished up but The hype is still here and lord mayor of Melbourne and others are thinking of a Melbourne 2024 or 2028 bid. However our AOC chief John Coates says the weather is an issue and would prefer Queensland (Brisbane) I believe it's too soon and a waste of money.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8515879

How is it possible that Melbourne hosts an Olympics in July,August or September?

It aint going to happen.

Yeah thats the main problem, this isn't serious it's just talk but many say they want Melbourne over Brisbane and there is a Brisbane thread so here's a Melbourne one. I don't support this bid just posting about it

I'd back a Brissy bid...Especially more so now as the NZOC said we could never host the games this side of 2050. This has blown my wish bubble for Auckland so I at least want to see Australia host the summer games one more time before I die.

• Like 1

Brisbane Olympics?

LOL LOL LOL times a million

Olympics in the 21st century is now the domain of world cities not unknown backwaters. Atlanta saw to that

Can see Melbourne hosting again in 2056 which is probably the next time it will make its way Down Under - just too much competition for the next 20 years for a serious Australian bid to succeed

• Like 1

Brisbane Olympics?

LOL LOL LOL times a million

Olympics in the 21st century is now the domain of world cities not unknown backwaters. Atlanta saw to that

Can see Melbourne hosting again in 2056 which is probably the next time it will make its way Down Under - just too much competition for the next 20 years for a serious Australian bid to succeed

Agree that next 20 years won't happen however our AOC president has basically said a no to Melbourne due to the cold climate in june-september but would much prefer Brisbane. Our premier of Queensland Campbell Newman supports a bid but not for 24 or 28 knowing it is too soon. http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/newman-keen-on-brisbane-olympics-bid/story-e6freono-1226450234988

Honestly, I just think it's a bit of a distant pipe dream any notion of a Games soon in our neck of the woods. I'll give Doyle definitely that Melbourne's enormously Olympics capable. But we're surely way down the queue now for getting another turn by election. I really don't see any of these Melbourne or Brisbane really getting off the ground for a while.

• Like 1

Obviously won't win and a bid won't materialize either, but its interesting to consider the issue of an Olympic Stadium. The MCG is of course the iconic heart of Melbourne and would popularly be preferred by the public to be the Olympic Stadium. But the Olympics would have to be held in September in Melbourne, which is the traditional timeslot of the AFL finals. The solution for the 2000 Olympics was to simply bring the season forward so the finals were done by September and the MCG was thus vacant for the soccer tournament. But if the MCG was to be the Olympic Stadium, the venue would need to be vacant for months in advance of the Games to prepare an athletics track. The MCG would therefore have to be unavailable for a large portion or perhaps an entire season of the AFL, which is an extremely problematic situation because of the AFL's massive reliance on that venue. Its completely impractical actually, unless the Government were to build an entirely new stadium. I anyway would be very interested to see how they'd address this.

I'd back a Brissy bid...Especially more so now as the NZOC said we could never host the games this side of 2050. This has blown my wish bubble for Auckland so I at least want to see Australia host the summer games one more time before I die.

Which means Auckland would still host before Brisbane

Because that was 1956 and this is 2012. The Melbourne Games were also held in November/December.

I still think this is a pipe dream. There are about 200 other countries that haven't hosted the Olympics since 2000. And a lot of them are interested.

• Like 1

Which means Auckland would still host before Brisbane

Possibly but your hijacking the thread, stay on topic. There is a seperate thread about Brisbane, and right now there are better chances for a Brisbane games instead of a 2nd Melbourne games. But this is just the start of talking and 2024 is way too soon for a bid.

Melbourne and Victoria have plenty of stadiums with sizeable capacity. The loss of the MCG would be difficult to handle, particularly in relation to the finals season, but I suspect the MCC wouldn't mind, and a bit of creative fixturing could see stadiums like Whitten Oval, Coburg City, and Princes Park used efficiently, as well as some regional venues.

We have a very small chance of bidding successfully, despite being a city eminently capable of hosting an Olympics, and our best bet of hosting a games soon might be as the emergency backup for a failed hosting. I think it would be in Melbourne's interests to build that water course to ensure we're truly ready at the (relative) drop of the hat to host the games in a 6-month time-frame, instead of a 6 year time-frame - the only other cities that could do it would be London, Beijing and Sydney, and in all but London's case, probably at a lesser level.

Melbourne needs to be an assumed future host.

As we have done for the last decade, Melbourne should continue to host many and varied major events in Sport, to ensure our name is well known to all sports federations and that we are thought of fondly. Melbourne needs to become an assumed host, not just the best city for the distant future. We need the SFs, IOC, media and money to assume we'll have an Olympics, and that we're truly in the first rank of next hosts. Rather than actually bidding and getting shot down, we ought to spend a decade and change talking about how we are getting ready for the bid, and constantly including mentions of our future bid when talking about world championships in Gymnastics, or swimming, or even Archery; when we hold the Australian Open, Melbourne Cup, F1... the people of Melbourne and Australia need to assume we'll bid, and when we do, that we'll win. Hopefully we can convince the rest of the world of it too, and see Melbourne 2036/40.

Melbourne and Victoria have plenty of stadiums with sizeable capacity. The loss of the MCG would be difficult to handle, particularly in relation to the finals season, but I suspect the MCC wouldn't mind, and a bit of creative fixturing could see stadiums like Whitten Oval, Coburg City, and Princes Park used efficiently, as well as some regional venues.

No that massively over simplifies the issue and some of your suggestions are totally impractical. The MCC's position is virtually irrelevant because although they are responsible for the management of the venue, the MCG is actually owned by the Victorian Government. The key stakeholders in this hypothetical situation are the State Government and the AFL, the major tenants. The Vic Government cannot simply say to the AFL that "the MCG will be unavailable in 2024 and that's all there is to it" because the AFL has as much clout in this city as the Catholic Church did in Rome during the Middle Ages. Without the AFL's blessing, an Olympic bid coming to fruition (let alone being successful) would never eventuate.

Its a fallacy to suggest that Victoria have plenty of stadiums (for AFL). We don't. The state is home to 10 of the 18 AFL clubs and yet only 3 grounds exist now which are suitable for AFL; which is because of the AFL's ground rationalization policy of the 1980s/90s (which i support). Remove the MCG and we have just 2 venues, 1 of which most clubs would refuse to play home home games at as its located in Geelong. Even with moving matches interstate, it would still effectively work out to 7 clubs sharing the one venue. Whitten Oval and Coburg City Oval, along with any other suburban venue you may tout, are simply not AFL venues and would never be accepted by the AFL as alternate venues. Redevelopment/restoration is certainly not a simple matter for these venues as it would be in the order of hundreds of millions of dollars to bring them up to sufficient standards for the competition. The only possible alternative would be Princes Park, but with a current capacity of just over 20,000, it too would require a huge redevelopment (i.e to double current capacity).

And then there is the issue of lost capacity. The MCG's capacity is 100,000 and in 2011 featured 16 matches of over 70,000 in attendance. The city's second stadium can accommodate only 55,000, too small for the blockbuster matches and impractical for a Grand Final. in the 1990s Waverley Park still existed and had a capacity for 77,000, so losing the MCG for an extended period would have been far better facilitated than what it is now.

I would like to know how long a stadium would need to be vacated before an Olympic Games to install an athletics track and prepare the venue???????

I would guestimate maybe 3 months (?). So perhaps with an Olympics in mid September, the AFL could bring the season forward 3-4 weeks to begin the start of March AND experiment with an 18 round competition (which is regularly suggested in the media as the desirable length of the season for fairness). This would see the Grand Final played around the first weekend of August. So perhaps the MCG could be available for the first 12 rounds, enough opportunity to host all the blockbuster matches. The last 6 rounds would see more Geelong home games and interstate home games for Vic clubs, while Docklands would be Melbourne's solitary venue. Docklands would have to be Melbourne's finals venue (the only serious problem with this plan) while the MCC could release the AFL from its contract in order for the Grand Final to be played in Sydney at ANZ Stadium. Plus the AFL would be sufficiently compensated and problem solved.

IF the venue would need to be vacated much earlier (say 6 months) then that is far more hazardous.

Possibly but your hijacking the thread, stay on topic. There is a seperate thread about Brisbane, and right now there are better chances for a Brisbane games instead of a 2nd Melbourne games. But this is just the start of talking and 2024 is way too soon for a bid.

I was responding to a comment made. Direct your comments to the right person

• 1 year later...

Nothing concrete, but the notion's been raised:

Push for Melbourne to bid for Olympic Games

HERALD SUN AUGUST 14, 2014

MELBOURNE should push to host its first Olympic Games since 1956, Committee for Melbourne chief Kate Roffey has declared.

Victoria should look at hosting the Games in the late 2020s or early 2030’s in a bid to boost the city’s brand power, improve tourism and infrastructure, she said.

Ms Roffey told the Herald Sun Melbourne needed to expand its horizons despite already boasting an impressive major events calendar.

“We should bid for the Olympics at the right time,’’ she said.

“We’re perfectly positioned to host them.’’

Ms Roffey said Melbourne already had the major sporting facilities, hotels, restaurants and transport links to host the biggest sporting show on earth.

Melbourne Lord Mayor Robert Doyle also said Melbourne was well positioned to host the Games.

The first Olympics Melbourne could bid for is 2024 with the next two Games to be held in Rio and Tokyo.

Herald Sun

Edited by Sir Rols

Funny how a thread about 'should previous hosts, host again' gets started up last night, & here we have yet another previous host talking about wanting to do it again. Along with other previous hosts wanting to do the same, like Paris, Rome, Los Angeles & perhaps Berlin. Go figure.

Biggest hurdle is the expectation of giving Brisbane "the largest Australian city not to have hosted" (lol - I know) a go at bidding. I expect the AOC might put it up for 2028 over Melbourne. Failing that I could well see a Melbourne bid after that - perhaps for 2032. Who knows - might see a repeat of the 90s and end up with a second Sydney Olympics in 2036.

I think Australia would be incredibly lucky to get it again so soon - and for a third time - but its not out of the question.

Hypothetically, if Sydney had hosted 1988, and Melbourne had been bidding for 2020 - I think it might have muscled out Tokyo. Its an extremely capable, dark horse city. Its also an emerging global city, and frankly (and personally) far more exciting than Brisbane could ever hope to be.