Melbourne 2024

No we wouldn't. Jonno is right - its a minus to a bid more than it is a positive. However I'm in between the view of you both, I don't think it is as much of a catastrophe as Jonno is making out, but it certainly won't be some kooky plus like you're making out. That said - all Olympic bids have big hurdles - Fukushima in Tokyo, Brazilian uncertainty for 2016, etc... Melbourne is still possible. Frankly I'd feel a lot better if the IOC nudged again with dates. I think a Melbourne Games that were able to straddle late Sept-early Oct would be far more palatable.

All this aside, its a long shot for any Aussie city. All this talk is just state politics. Would be very surprised to see an Aussie Olympic bid mounted for this side of 2030.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brazil's 'uncertainty', though, was far outweighted by the prospect of the first South American Olympics. How does that compare with non-ideal dates. It doesn't. Not when Australia (a nation of just 25 million) already has two Summer Olympics under their belt. And looking at that chart, it's quite clear that dates well into October are the only feasible ones. And that would still be pushing it, but doable. Comparing London is also a non-factor. London's August temps are about 20 degrees (F) warmer than Melbourne is in September. That's quite a difference, especially with the people coming from much warmer countries.

Nobody is getting hypothermia in Melbourne in September. As I said, it'll be cooler than most host cities - but certainly possible when you look at some of the weather around London 2012 and Glasgow 2014. Spring in Melbourne is mostly warm, with cooler evenings. The average high in September is 17.2c (63f) and an average low of 8c (46.4f). For October (which would possibly carry the last week of the Olympics and the Paralympics) the average high would be 19.7c (67.5f) and a low of 9.5c (49.1f).

By California standards, 17.2c (63f) is getting nippy. 8c (46.4f) is cold. I realize we're not the norm. Just putting it out there.

Brazil's 'uncertainty', though, was far outweighted by the prospect of the first South American Olympics. How does that compare with non-ideal dates. It doesn't. Not when Australia (a nation of just 25 million) already has two Summer Olympics under their belt. And looking at that chart, it's quite clear that dates well into October are the only feasible ones. And that would still be pushing it, but doable. Comparing London is also a non-factor. London's August temps are about 20 degrees (F) warmer than Melbourne is in September. That's quite a difference, especially with the people coming from much warmer countries.

Yes, but we make up for it with our sporting culture, fanaticism and history. We're a mere 23 million yes, but have gathered over 460 medals and can claim to be one of only 3 other nations to have been in every edition of the Summer Olympics. Our positives make up for the negative of September weather.

No we wouldn't. Jonno is right - its a minus to a bid more than it is a positive. However I'm in between the view of you both, I don't think it is as much of a catastrophe as Jonno is making out, but it certainly won't be some kooky plus like you're making out. That said - all Olympic bids have big hurdles - Fukushima in Tokyo, Brazilian uncertainty for 2016, etc... Melbourne is still possible. Frankly I'd feel a lot better if the IOC nudged again with dates. I think a Melbourne Games that were able to straddle late Sept-early Oct would be far more palatable.

All this aside, its a long shot for any Aussie city. All this talk is just state politics. Would be very surprised to see an Aussie Olympic bid mounted for this side of 2030.

I'd rather see us attempt a Winter Olympics and try and convince the IOC and the world, to host it in June/July. :P Canberra/Perisher Valley 2030 anyone?

And Australia has been well awarded for all of their sporting accolades. No one is denying Australia's sporting prowess & history. But let's remember that this Olympic business is also a competition. If someone else comes along & is offering just as much, if not moreso (especially with a much more ideal weather timeframe), then something else is going to have to give. And if everything else being equal, a less than ideal weather window is going to be a major Achilles heel to any Melbourne bid.

Let's also keep in mind, that both times Australia has gotten the Olympics, they've done so with only one & two votes respectively. So having that one major weakness, & again all things being equal, could be all the difference between win or lose. And all the medals in the world may not be enough to sway it to the winners circle. Unless the competition was weak, &/or if the dates aren't well into October, I just see a September proposal as a major uphill climb.

I doubt that Melbourne will Bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics. I reckon that Melbourne MIGHT Bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics and Paralympics as a 'Warm Up Bid' and might offer a more 'Serious' Bid for the 2032/2036/2040 Summer Olympics and Paralympics, unless of course Australia decide to Bid with Sydney, which is a possibility. Like I've said before, I don't think Brisbane stands a chance and Perth certainly has no chance. If Australia Hosts again, it will be with either Sydney or Melbourne IMO.

I also reckon that the IOC will want to come back to Europe at least twice and maybe want to take the Summer Olympics and Paralympics to Africa before returning to Australia. Maybe Rome, Berlin and Durban might Host before Australia does again IMO. Again, Geopolitics is involved. Although, apart from the date issue, Sydney and Melbourne offer existing facilities and infrastructure. The Media keeps on about the price of Sochi 2014 of £50 Billion, so for the IOC to keep some dignity, maybe Sydney and Melbourne can offer a 'Low Cost' Summer Olympics and Paralympics, but I do agree with @Runningrings, that it probably won't happen for Australia this side of 2030. It would be interesting to see another Summer Olympics and Paralympics in Australia, as I don't remember Sydney 2000, as I was only 3 Years Old at the Time. I believe that the Melbourne Cricket Ground would need another set of Renovations if Melbourne were to Host.

Well, not based on those numbers. It was 80f here on January 1. Summer highs have been 103f.

My only insight into Melbourne's January weather (as I'm sure it is for most) is what I've seen during the Australian Open. Looks like it can get pretty darn hot there during the daytime, moreso than Los Angeles during a comparable peroid. As for San Francisco, as the old saying goes.. "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." So I wouldn't use them for much of any useful weather comparisons

I doubt that Melbourne will Bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics. I reckon that Melbourne MIGHT Bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics and Paralympics as a 'Warm Up Bid' and might offer a more 'Serious' Bid for the 2032/2036/2040 Summer Olympics and Paralympics, unless of course Australia decide to Bid with Sydney, which is a possibility. Like I've said before, I don't think Brisbane stands a chance and Perth certainly has no chance. If Australia Hosts again, it will be with either Sydney or Melbourne IMO.

I also reckon that the IOC will want to come back to Europe at least twice and maybe want to take the Summer Olympics and Paralympics to Africa before returning to Australia. Maybe Rome, Berlin and Durban might Host before Australia does again IMO. Again, Geopolitics is involved. Although, apart from the date issue, Sydney and Melbourne offer existing facilities and infrastructure. The Media keeps on about the price of Sochi 2014 of £50 Billion, so for the IOC to keep some dignity, maybe Sydney and Melbourne can offer a 'Low Cost' Summer Olympics and Paralympics, but I do agree with @Runningrings, that it probably won't happen for Australia this side of 2030. It would be interesting to see another Summer Olympics and Paralympics in Australia, as I don't remember Sydney 2000, as I was only 3 Years Old at the Time. I believe that the Melbourne Cricket Ground would need another set of Renovations if Melbourne were to Host.

No such deal as "warm up bids", especially for a country like Australia. If Melbourne gets the nod, it will be for either 2024 or 2028 only. Then Brisbane will get the next opportunity. Don't expect back to back bids like say Manchester did for 1996 and 2000.

My only insight into Melbourne's January weather (as I'm sure it is for most) is what I've seen during the Australian Open. Looks like it can get pretty darn hot there during the daytime, moreso than Los Angeles during a comparable peroid. As for San Francisco, as the old saying goes.. "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." So I wouldn't use them for much of any useful weather comparisons

I was just referring to the numbers he cited for September: highs around 63f and lows of 40f. That's cool to cold by LA standards.

Archived