2020 candidates possible opening ceremony and torch relay

emre

Well, with Doha dropped out, all have the potential for a great torch relay and opening ceremony. But that "just post what's on your mind"-thread seems to be upgradable, I think it might be interesting to have a GBids competition for the possible torch relays.

Well, with Doha dropped out, all have the potential for a great torch relay and opening ceremony. But that "just post what's on your mind"-thread seems to be upgradable, I think it might be interesting to have a GBids competition for the possible torch relays.

doha great torch relay.. i feel some sarcasm :)

hmmm could be a nice topic and a competition . 3 candidates and whats on peoples minds about and what they wanna see... whose gonna take this to that forum and give us the rulez?

Here are my ideas of different OCs for the candidate cities:

If Tokyo wins, the opening ceremony will look similar to both the 2008 and 2012 OCs with a Japanese flavor. Such scenes could include a tribute to Medieval Japan (think samurai), as well as a tribute to the victims of World War II (including those who served in the armed forces and those civilians who lost their lives in the atomic bombings). As for the rest, there will definitely be a salute to the modern era of Japan, from the bustling city of Tokyo to Japan's pop culture. As for the torch relay, the only athlete that I think will definitely be part of this is Tadahiro Nomura, the 3-time Olympic gold medalist in judo from 1996-2004. Japan does lead the medal count in judo, by the way.

If Istanbul wins, the OC would likely be based around the history of the city as well as the traditions of Islam, since no Islamic city has ever hosted the Olympics. The torch relay will be interesting, as there are no Olympic athletes from Turkey that are very well known, but I heard that wrestling is Turkey's dominant sport, so look for a wrestler to light the flame.

And finally, Madrid. I don't have high hopes for them becauxse of their sluggish economy, but if they do win, look for some shades of the 1992 OCs, which were also held in Spain. Lots and lots of dancing is included, and Rafael "Rafa" Nadal, the great tennis player, is the most likely to light the flame.

I would expect a Madrid OC to include references or a complete segment to Don Quixote, considering Cervantes was from neighbouring Alcalá de Henares. Also tributes to great Spanish painters and their most famous paintings, Barcelona OC had a bit of it with those figurines that appeared on stage but Madrid could make much more use of it as a way to reflect Spanish history of the last centuries, considering the Museo del Prado and the Triangle of Art is the biggest attraction in the city. From Vélazquez (cand picture the stadium full of "meninas") to Goya to Picasso's 'Guernica', which is at the Museo Reina Sofía in Madrid and could be used as a tribute to victims of all wars.

I would expect a Madrid OC to include references or a complete segment to Don Quixote, considering Cervantes was from neighbouring Alcalá de Henares. Also tributes to great Spanish painters and their most famous paintings, Barcelona OC had a bit of it with those figurines that appeared on stage but Madrid could make much more use of it as a way to reflect Spanish history of the last centuries, considering the Museo del Prado and the Triangle of Art is the biggest attraction in the city. From Vélazquez (cand picture the stadium full of "meninas") to Goya to Picasso's 'Guernica', which is at the Museo Reina Sofía in Madrid and could be used as a tribute to victims of all wars.

That's just the style of opening ceremony that I'd love for a Madrid Olympics. Barcelona was more about Spanish folklore and the Mediterranean, so Madrid could focus on Spanish history through art and literature. We could even go back to the Romans and the Arabs, and then go on with the Middle Ages, Christopher Columbus, Don Quixote, the Royal periods with Velázquez and Goya... I'm thinking of a dark segment similar to London's "Abide with me" to represent the 20th century, and after that, to cheer the audience up before the athletes parade, there could be some time dedicated to surrealism and modernism to represent the new Spain after the dictatorship, colourful and more festive. There should also be one or two musical acts, but I'd leave folklore and similar stuff for the closing ceremony. I'm not sure Nadal would be the cauldron lighter if Madrid hosts in 2020. He might be too recent. I think older athletes like Fermín Cacho or Manel Estiarte would have more chances.

I don't think any Japanese ceremony would include a tribute to the Samurai. Militarism doesn't fit with the narrative that Heisei Japan (1989-present) wants the world to know. I imagine nods to world peace, wrapped up in the Hiroshima/Nagasaki imagery - white cranes, children. They might want to reference those who died in the Kobe and Tohoku disasters, but it will in all likelihood be light touch. The Cherry blossom (sakura) is well loved and symbolises life's beauty and its fragility, they might do something around that. I imagine there might be references to Jomon people and their pottery, which are some of the oldest ceramics yet found in the world, of which Japanese are very proud. I expect there will also be a whole section on the Edo (Tokyo) Period which saw an astonishing growth in art and population, invoking the style of ukiyo-e prints and the painter Hiroshige, especially the famous imagery of travellers along the road from Edo to Kyoto. I would love to see a tribute to Manga/Anime but I wanted to see a tribute to Mormon Polygamy at Salt Lake, and I certainly didn't get what I wanted! But please, no raves to Domo Arigato Mr Robotto, complete with a lit up Japanese House in the middle of the stadium.

for the cauldron for tokyo, i see something like "planting" the torch into the ground and blossoms the cauldron, it represents a flower and when it open up, the fire is inside but also the pedals have fires of their own, which are colored to resemble the five olympic colors. it could be pretty unique for a cauldron imo.

U di

as well as a tribute to the victims of World War II (including those who served in the armed forces and those civilians who lost their lives in the atomic bombings).

Oh I really don't think they would do this.

They were the bad guys remember - so I don't think they would want to remind everyone of that.

And a tribute to the atomic bombings is questionable also. It would kinda be a finger up to USA - like half way through the ceremony:

"Hey world, remember that time USA killed thousands of civilians?"

------

Best if they keep it traditional. I'm thinking like the drummers in China, but thousands of people doing some martial art routine stuff, with lots of loud "HUR!"s

Istanbul's opening cerony would be really exotic and perhaps spectacular... Tokyo's OC, ok I can easilly see a very modern and impresive one, thus not as exotic as the Turkish one. Now, with Madrid, I'm afraid Barcelona's memory is too soon...

Archived