London 2012 Paralympics

paul92

I think tonight has been one of the best nights of London 2012 - the reaction for Jonnie Peacock before he even ran was just stunning - I'd say the biggest crowd response of the entire summer. The IPC must now ensure this legacy is built on worldwide, not just for Rio, but for the IPC events before then. Would be great to see some Paralympic athletic events incorporated into the Diamond League for example.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be great to see some Paralympic athletic events incorporated into the Diamond League for example.

Sadly, this isn't much in fashion anymore in athletics. For quite a few years, they always had Paralympic demonstration events incorporated into the European and World Athletics Championships and the athletic events at the Olympics. Since Osaka 2007, they have stopped that, with the sole exception of Daegu 2011. It's pretty antagonistic, bearing in mind how much increased attention the Paralympics get nowadays.

Considering the big push LOCOG said they were giving to the Paralympics it was a surprise not to see a demonstration event in the Olympics, so I guess that's the IAAF decision. However in their defence Paralympic Athletics is much more than wheelchair racing, and IIRC the demonstration events in the Olympics have always been wheelchair races.

Would be great to see some Paralympic athletic events incorporated into the Diamond League for example.

I go to the Diamond League at Crystal Palace on a semi-regular basis (every year that I remember to get tickets before double-booking myself!) and there are quite often some paralympic track events on the Friday night. I think we had 3 races this year.

The British meetings at least do have them - others might, but as they're outside the Diamond League events they're not usually broadcast internationally in the 2-hour window.

Going back a couple of nights and over 6m were watching the Jonnie Peacock race - amazing when you think 24 hours later less than 4m watched the England football qualifier.

Glorious final day today the wheather for the Paralympics has been like a Caribbean island,

The Marathon was just amazing , David Weir said the first 5 miles nearly killed him,

But when I saw him by st Paul’s he was smiling,

Later on on the embankment passing the giant picture of the queen he was head down and a few feet in the lead,

Massive cheer when the news came through that he had won, on the mall,

Also masive crowd in traveller square to see Oscar Pistorius

I got back today after 5 days at the paras - one of the best times of my life. To be honest I was a little underwhelmed by the venues (mostly because tarp and sticky tape can only partially camouflage temporary structures) , but such a wonderful mix of people, both able and disabled. Lovely weather in the last few days, strangers on trains having impassioned conversations about running blades with other strangers, so many in my train carriage tonight hurrying home to watch the closing ceremony. I managed to meet a few of the Austrian team. Rio people were everywhere, taking pictures, learning from everything, wanting to make things even better in 4 years' time, I hope they do!

That was something I did not experience, though, when I was in London one week ago - strangers talking to strangers on the trains. I heard some people who apparently knew each other and travelled together talking about the Paralympics or the Olympic Games, though. And at least I saw how a young family chatted with a young female Games Maker before we all boarded the Underground train towards Stratford at Green Park station. When we were in the train, however, their conversation stopped. ;)

That's why I thought that that "strangers talking to strangers" thing was only a thing during the Olympic Games and that the excitement for the Paralympics wasn't strong enough in order to have strangers talking to strangers again. ;)

That's why I thought that that "strangers talking to strangers" thing was only a thing during the Olympic Games and that the excitement for the Paralympics wasn't strong enough in order to have strangers talking to strangers again. ;)

It wasn't quite as strong an effect; but was still definitely in play although possibly primarily more on the Jubilee line that anywhere else. I know certainly if you were wearing accreditation (or pins) people would often try to catch your eye and have a chat about why you were wearing it. I ended up in quite a few interesting conversations that way with families en route to/from the Park in the Paras.

Well the whole of the last seven weeks has been so inspirational, and I am so glad it has made kids all over the UK turn up at sports facilities to get involved. Having so many joining in sports will reduce boredom, and in these times of hardness, that can only be a good thing. Sport costs little (except golf, polo and hockey!!) and makes everyone fitter.

But coming back to the topic: I wrote an email to Boris Johnson today, because I felt I wanted to share my thoughts on the Paralympics: my email to him was to say that the stadium should be used once every year or two for a huge paralympic tournament; they could even make use of the velodrome and pool while there, as well as the Copper Box. The stadium should be renamed the London International Paralympic Stadium (LiPS) and in the same manner as the newly-created London cycling event will be set up as a spinoff of the Games, a similar one could be done for athletics in the stadium, and to pay its way, big concerts could be held in it, taking over the mantle of Wembley, where the days of ruining the pitch for huge sellout concerts are over. This is not the case in Stratford, and having a permanent Paralympic event in London where the likes of Jonnie Peacock, Alan de Oliveira and David Weir would be seen would be a true and fitting way to deal with that most ubiquitous of words, legacy.

There already is an annual Paralympic World Cup in the UK which takes place in Manchester. It would be great to see that expanded and it become a circuit of at least 3-4 events, though it needs to expand beyond the UK.

Jonnie Peacock has expressed his desire for the Diamond League to include some paralympic events within the main programme (and broadcast). It appears most already do, but usually as part of the unbroadcast warm up to the main events.

• 10 months later...

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) published its 2012 Annual Report on Wednesday (10 July), reviewing what the organisation achieved during what turned out to be a historical year for the Paralympic Movement, mostly due to the London 2012 Games. The Annual Report 2012 is now available for download here: http://bit.ly/152sw52.

A record-breaking 4,237 athletes from 164 countries took part in London 2012 - an event that drew 2.78 million spectators and 3.8 billion cumulative TV viewers in more than 115 countries.

These record numbers helped the IPC enhance all capacities of the Movement, particularly, athlete development, funding, media and sponsorship.

Sir Philip Craven, IPC President, said: "In my opinion, 2012 was the greatest year yet for the Paralympic Movement with London 2012 propelling Paralympic sport into the mainstream and new audiences engaging in a new generation of household-name athletes.

"It was a year like no other, and, after taking so many steps forward, the key now is not to take a step back in 2013."

But 2012 was not only about London, as the year also included planning for Sochi 2014 and Rio 2016, as well as the launch of the IPC's Agitos Foundation and a new-look Paralympic.org designed by the IPC's IT Worldwide Partner Atos.

In addition, one of the year's biggest milestones was the signing of the IPC/IOC Co-operation Agreement, which means that the 2018 and 2020 Paralympic Games will be held in the same city as the Olympic Games.

Advances took place in classification, anti-doping, sports science and medical procedures, and the IPC expanded its reach on social media and ensured its sponsors activated and extended their partnerships.

Even with the tremendous amount of success that came in 2012, it will only count in the long run if the IPC and its members continue to build on it.

Sir Philip said: "It is important that all these events help us build on the Paralympic Movement's most successful year ever. We must all continue to enjoy working together to progress and develop our Movement for the benefit of all."

The Annual Report 2012 also includes an overview of the IPC as an organisation, key financial figures for the organisation and a look at of all nine sports under IPC management.

http://www.paralympic.org/sites/default/files/document/130710121410906_WEB_IPC_13_AnnualReport_2012_final.pdf

worth the read!

• 1 month later...

one year ago the London Paralympcs opened

To mark the first anniversary since the start of the London 2012 Paralympic Games, the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) today (29 August) announced that the UK will be involved in all future Paralympic Games Torch Relays starting as soon as next March, in recognition that Stoke Mandeville, in Buckinghamshire is the birthplace of the Paralympic Movement.

The announcement came on the same day IPC President Sir Philip Craven was at Stoke Mandeville to unveil a giant five metre high Agitos - the Paralympic Movement's symbol - that has been permanently installed at Stoke Mandeville hospital to mark its role in the origins of the Paralympic Movement.

It was in 1948 that Sir Ludwig Guttmann, a German spinal injuries doctor, created the Stoke Mandeville Games, an event that was the forerunner for the Paralympic Games that were first held in Rome, Italy in 1960.

Next year the eleventh Paralympic Winter Games will take place in Sochi, Russia and thanks to today's announcement Stoke Mandeville will become the first place in history to be involved in the Paralympic Torch Relay outside of the Games hosting country.

Sochi's Paralympic Torch Relay will take place between 26 February and 7 March. It will visit 46 cities in all eight Russian Federal districts, as well as Stoke Mandeville - the only international component of the relay - and will involve over 1,500 torchbearers.

Over 10 days several cities in parallel will host a day long Flame Festival aiming to ignite sparks and thus symbolising the energy and support to the Paralympic Games and their athletes. All Flame Festivals will start with a flame lighting ceremony before torchbearers take it on a tour of the local area giving as many people as possible to see the flame and engage with it.
Each event will climax with a Flame Celebration, whereby the local community bid farewell to the flame before it heads to Sochi to merge with all other flames in a special ceremony on 5 March. This unification of the flames will create the official Paralympic Flame of the Sochi Paralympic Winter Games which will be used in a final relay before the Opening Ceremony on 7 March.

In the UK, the Sochi Flame Celebration will pilot what will happen in future Games. A Flame Lighting Ceremony will take place on 1 March at Stoke Mandeville Stadium, this will then visit several local landmarks before a Flame Celebration is held to send it on its way to Sochi.

Sir Philip Craven, IPC President said: "The Torch Relay is a significant event in the staging of every Paralympics and it is fitting that for each future edition of the Games we celebrate Stoke Mandeville's rich history and proud heritage as the Paralympic Movement's spiritual birthplace.

"By always hosting a leg of the Paralympic Torch Relay ahead of each Games we are ensuring that the role of Sir Ludwig Guttmann and Stoke Mandeville in helping to create the foundations for what is now one of the world's biggest sporting events is communicated around the world and never forgotten."

one year ago the London Paralympcs opened

--------

In the UK, the Sochi Flame Celebration will pilot what will happen in future Games. A Flame Lighting Ceremony will take place on 1 March at Stoke Mandeville Stadium, this will then visit several local landmarks before a Flame Celebration is held to send it on its way to Sochi.

Flame lighting at Stoke Mandeville- they're going to need a truly massive parabolic mirror if they want to use sunlight (or maybe they've got a cheap deal on Chinese solar panels).

I don't really like the idea of the flame being lit in Stoke Mandeville for every Paralympics. I think it's best restricted to the host country - not only for cost but I also think it's nice to have the Paralympic flame lit in a place of national importance as a contrast to the lighting in Olympia for the Olympics.

Flame lighting at Stoke Mandeville- they're going to need a truly massive parabolic mirror if they want to use sunlight (or maybe they've got a cheap deal on Chinese solar panels).

the parabolic mirror might be out as typical English weather night not light it up. but i think they will make there own traditions with it.

I don't really like the idea of the flame being lit in Stoke Mandeville for every Paralympics. I think it's best restricted to the host country - not only for cost but I also think it's nice to have the Paralympic flame lit in a place of national importance as a contrast to the lighting in Olympia for the Olympics.

but Greece has done like every four years trough good time and bad. i suppose stoke mandeville can handle the cost.

the parabolic mirror might be out as typical English weather night not light it up. but i think they will make there own traditions with it.

but Greece has done like every four years trough good time and bad. i suppose stoke mandeville can handle the cost.

Oh the cost of the ceremony in Mandeville is NOTHING. Am sure it'll be within the IPC's budget. It's more the cost of flying (by private jet I imagine) the flame to Sochi, to Rio, to PyeongYang -- a cost borne by the Org Committee and/or if Coke is the main sucker again. Private jet from Mandeville to Seoul would probably add another US$30,000. But I like the idea and symbolism of starting the flame at one location. Very much a counterpart to the Olympia (or in the case of the Winter YOGs at Lillehammer, already at Athens) ritual for the big O's.

I think the as the Olympic flames goes out port of it should be put back onto one of the lanterns
And that taken to Stoke Mandeville where it is used to light a new cauldron.

I think it would be better if the flame for both events was sourced from Greece,
With Stock Mandeville being used as a ceremonial re lighting point.

As for the building that melted the car , don’t like it ,never should have been built ,it all Ken Livingstones fault.

Mayor of London presented with Paralympic Order

Mayor of London Boris Johnson was presented with the Paralympic Order by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) on Saturday (7 September) for his support and contribution towards last year's highly successful London 2012 Paralympic Games.

The Paralympic Order is the highest tribute a person connected with the Paralympic Movement can receive. It was presented to the Mayor by IPC Governing Board member Rita van Driel at National Paralympic Day, an exciting celebration of sport and culture at Queen Elizabeth Park, London almost one year since the London Games closed.

Since becoming Mayor of London in May 2008, Boris Johnson has been a big advocate of the Paralympic Movement and in September 2010 played the British Prime Minister David Cameron at Wheelchair Tennis in Trafalgar Square as part of International Paralympic Day.

Rita van Driel, IPC Governing Board member, said: "Boris Johnson helped regenerate part of the city in time for the Games and made London more accessible. He ensured Londoners were fully aware their city was staging not one, but two major sporting events, acted a great cheerleader for Paralympics GB and showed that when it comes to playing wheelchair tennis he's quite a player!

"I think it is testament to his leadership that not only did the Paralympics change attitudes and perceptions of disability but they also helped change the world's attitudes and perceptions of London for the better too."

The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: "It was an immense privilege for London to host a sell-out Paralympic Games and in many ways it surpassed the success of the preceding Olympics.

"One year on from the London Paralympics, I am more determined than ever to harness the magic of the event to make London a more accessible and inclusive city. I am honoured to accept this award in recognition of the army of dedicated Londoners that made these inspirational Games a resounding triumph, raising the bar for future host cities."

The London 2012 Paralympic Games were the biggest and best yet. A record 4,237 athletes from 164 countries competed in front of packed venues as a result of 2.78 million tickets being sold - the most ever. TV pictures were shown in 115 countries - more than ever before - and a cumulated global TV audience of 3.8 billion watched the Games. Post Games research highlighted that the Games changed attitudes and perceptions of disability and increased awareness of para-athletes and their sports.

Archived