Big, Burning Questions...

BALONEY!!

Improved on it is more like it. The first one was good, but the Remake was better plotted and more ingenious.

The original was brilliant focused on a superb idea.

The remake ruined it by insisting the majority of the action took place in the USA, and turned it into some revenge nonsense.

Ed Norton only took part because he was contractually forced to

The original was brilliant focused on a superb idea.

The remake ruined it by insisting the majority of the action took place in the USA, and turned it into some revenge nonsense.

Ed Norton only took part because he was contractually forced to

Totally agree. It is a shame it was ruined with the Americanisation of the original British classic. I suppose the new version was designed to appeal to the common American, which it obviously does.

Another burning but also typically nerdy question: Why does even the official media guide for the closing ceremony state that they had 303 boxes for the pyramid, representing the (allegedly) 303 medal events at the Games? Didn't even the organisers know they had only 302 medal events?

The same applies to the numbers of the cauldron petals. Most sources stated that they had 204 petals, while they carried a petal into the stadium also for the Independent Olympic Athletes, which makes it 205 petals.

Another burning but also typically nerdy question: Why does even the official media guide for the closing ceremony state that they had 303 boxes for the pyramid, representing the (allegedly) 303 medal events at the Games? Didn't even the organisers know they had only 302 medal events?

I was going to ask "What pyramid? I don't remember seeing a pyramid." Then I read your link and saw that that this was used for a medals ceremony and some speeches. Clearly this was cut from the NBC broadcast. [sigh]

I was going to ask "What pyramid? I don't remember seeing a pyramid." Then I read your link and saw that that this was used for a medals ceremony and some speeches. Clearly this was cut from the NBC broadcast. [sigh]

No, it wasn't used for the speeches. The speeches of Coe and Rogge took place after the concert, when they had that quick run-through of the ceremonial protocol. ;)

It also wasn't actually used for the medal ceremony, it was just in the background then. And for the "recognition of the volunteers" segment they stepped on the pyramid, but had already taken its tip down so that the "pyramid" only was a kind of podium then. The introduction of the newly-elected IOC Athletes' Commission members was scrapped because there was (or still is) a controversy about the conduct of that election:

In a break from normal procedure, the IOC has yet to appoint the four athletes elected in London as IOC members.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/so20120818a1.html

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/cc9cda7926db479ba464d94ac2245435/OLY--IOC-Athlete-Election

OK, heard more from my friend.

1. The "contraption" Brunel/Branagh stepped in was the 'zoetrope' machine.

2. Apparently, before the Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Boys brigade appeared, there was a Yellow Submarine on the other end. That didn't show. I think Danny Boyle had just too much going on everywhere that while it is easy to accept all of that in the stadium, it is hard to convey that to the TV viewer. SO much for his being an award-winning film director.

He also, apparently didn't get his way with having his own TV director. But Friend tells me that the BBC version is the best because in the compromise, that's where Danny got his man...but not in the worldwide feed.

She doesn't have any more answers.

He also, apparently didn't get his way with having his own TV director. But Friend tells me that the BBC version is the best because in the compromise, that's where Danny got his man...but not in the worldwide feed.

Hang on, so different countries have different versions?

I figured each broadcaster would have the same single version and just add their own commentators.

Hang on, so different countries have different versions?

I figured each broadcaster would have the same single version and just add their own commentators.

She wasn't sure but I think the host country, in this case, the BBC, can opt to have its own coverage. It's like this. There are, (or were 32 cameras in Torino and Vancouver), so the 2 directors can then pick up their choice of shots from the 32 (or however many cameras, including the specialized 3D and HDTV models) are going on at the same time. So, yes each ceremony apparently produces at least TWO versions - the domestic one and the "world feed." Now, it is also possible, that the domestic one could almost mimic the "world feed" (or vice-versa). Really, the main difference is in the commentary that goes with whichever version. Having really good, lousy or mediocre commentators can make or break the telecast.

2. Apparently, before the Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Boys brigade appeared, there was a Yellow Submarine on the other end. That didn't show.

There were two or three of them. Here's a pic from dress rehearsal night

P1040127.jpg

She wasn't sure but I think the host country, in this case, the BBC, can opt to have its own coverage. It's like this. There are, (or were 32 cameras in Torino and Vancouver), so the 2 directors can then pick up their choice of shots from the 32 (or however many cameras, including the specialized 3D and HDTV models) are going on at the same time.

I saw some of the 3D footage at the Panasonic theatre in the Park and it did a much better job of getting the scale of Pandemonium over. The 'working men and women' looked like worker ants under the chimneys in the 3D version.

There were two or three of them. Here's a pic from dress rehearsal night

P1040127.jpg

Thanks, FDL. Ya know, looking at that bell now, the only logical reason for its existence is that it held the (future) place for the cauldron to be situated. Other than that, its 'role' in the ceremony was vastly, vastly exaggerated. I mean how stupendous an effect can ringing a giant bell 2x or 3x be?? :blink: And this is why I didn't trust Danny Boyle as the overall visionary for the project. My god, if he was sooooooo excited by a boring giant bell, what did he rank as spectacular effects and moments then?

I'm not sure, however, whether the bell wasn't rung more often during the ceremony. On the world feed, it could be seen rung only twice (first by Bradley Wiggins and then at the start of McCartney's performance). But you could hear the ringing of a big bell also on several other occasions during the ceremony, including the cauldron lighting. But it could well be that that was only a "playback bell".

Another big burning question: Where was Tony Appleton, the town crier who (allegedly) should participate in the closing ceremony?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-16715406 (This article still wrongly states that he'll also be in the opening ceremony.)

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/town_crier_tony_will_help_bring_olympics_to_close_1_1195192

http://www.thisistotalessex.co.uk/London-Olympic-Games-big-impact-county-s-tourism/story-16597882-detail/story.html

According to the last article, he also appeared on opening day, but only outside the stadium. Here he can be seen two days before the opening ceremony:

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/pxnWm0Q9Xix/Olympics+Previews+Day+2/YEVLfAORSe8/Tony+Appleton

Was he among the elements that were scrapped or forgotten about in the closing ceremony - or did I just not see him?

Oly2004, u're right. Where was that towncrier? The thing with Boyle and the recently concluded ceremonies is that they tried to announce too many things beforehand. I think Appleton's role would've fit in better with "Green & Pleasant" where there was a little town that needed awakening.

I didn't miss Appleton's role because I had completely forgotten about him. I don't know though what else he could've added to the CLosing other than to say it's over or something which one of the stadium announcers already did.

P.S. One other thing "source" told me was that Ceremonies in no way influenced Rio's look or costumes. It was entirely up to them (Rio); and they (LOCOG) have no idea how the rumor got started and they were pretty miffed about it. (Probably sour grape parties who lost or got bypassed in the selection rounds.) Source conjectured maybe the Brazilian Olympic Committee might've had input on the costumes of that portion -- but certainly NOT Boyle's team.

Having read the articles, I don't think they ever said he'd be appearing as a town crier in the Closing; just that he'd auditioned for a role and got one but he couldn't say what. The fact that he went to rehearsal in his town crier garb doesn't really mean anything. There were people showing up in all sorts! If I had to guess, I'd suggest he was most likely to be part of the Rush Hour street party since that had the widest mix of ages and most people.

OK, heard more from my friend.

1. The "contraption" Brunel/Branagh stepped in was the 'zoetrope' machine.

2. Apparently, before the Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Boys brigade appeared, there was a Yellow Submarine on the other end. That didn't show. I think Danny Boyle had just too much going on everywhere that while it is easy to accept all of that in the stadium, it is hard to convey that to the TV viewer. SO much for his being an award-winning film director.

She doesn't have any more answers.

Sorry if this has been corrected but there was a yellow submarine

Oly2004, u're right. Where was that towncrier? The thing with Boyle and the recently concluded ceremonies is that they tried to announce too many things beforehand. I think Appleton's role would've fit in better with "Green & Pleasant" where there was a little town that needed awakening.

I didn't miss Appleton's role because I had completely forgotten about him. I don't know though what else he could've added to the CLosing other than to say it's over or something which one of the stadium announcers already did.

P.S. One other thing "source" told me was that Ceremonies in no way influenced Rio's look or costumes. It was entirely up to them (Rio); and they (LOCOG) have no idea how the rumor got started and they were pretty miffed about it. (Probably sour grape parties who lost or got bypassed in the selection rounds.) Source conjectured maybe the Brazilian Olympic Committee might've had input on the costumes of that portion -- but certainly NOT Boyle's team.

Myles - sorry but Boyle had nothing to do with the closing ceremony!?!?

Archived