Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

Guadalajara 2011 simply let the athletes run a circle around the centre of the infield and then take their places (see minute 31:29):

I think that could be a model for Rio 2016 as well, since Guadalajara 2011 also used a football/soccer stadium for the opening ceremony.

• 9 months later...

From what I've read in this thread and from what I've seen from the past two games, I think it would make sense to combine the methods used in Vancouver and in London. With the London we had a smaller cauldron inside the stadium and for Rio this could used inside Maracana, with a smaller cauldron on the side of the field similar to the way it was done with the 2007 Pan Am games. The Vancouver approach would be having a second cauldron in a more public area where the flame could be seen throughout the entire period of the games, instead of it being hidden away for the majority of the games, God forbid charging people just to look at the cauldron. I think they should put the cauldron in the Olympic Park where there's more sports taking place and more events will be going on. Plus, it'll be closer to the IBC and that'll make the broadcasters happy because they'll get their awesome view of the flame for the broadcasts when ever they want. From the map below, I think they could put the cauldron in the ring marked #15, in or near the ring directly up from #20 and to the right of #2 or near the villages marked # 21 or #22. A taller replica of the cauldron in Maracana could easily be seen all over the park. rio_2016_5_pranchas_formato_a1_pagina_2.

I would love this, but I think many non-Christian countries will complain a lot.

Christianity is apart Brazilian culture and most of the IOC is made up of Christians every single President of the IOC has been Christian, If Islamic countries do not like it then too bad for them, Rome 1960 had an Olympics Games Mass done by Pope John XXIII, London had the Archbishop of Canterbury in the official party and Mitt Romney is an Bishop and Mormon Church did play big part of the ceremonies at the 2002 games and John Furlong is an Christian Missionary it will be a great way to show of Latin American Christian Culture to have the Olympics and Paralympics Games Cauldron at the Christ the Redeemer and be like Sydney 2000 and have aeroplanes move the Olympic Flame to another part of the city.

I'd love to see another cauldron like the one used in Seoul'88. That looked elegant and traditional with the fire shining (and don't mention the burnt doves again). It could work a cauldron like that, but with the needs of the current times.

Anyway, as I said before, a huge cauldron on top of the Corcovado would look nice and could be seen from any point of the city. Let's see if logistically works.

I'd love to see another cauldron like the one used in Seoul'88. That looked elegant and traditional with the fire shining (and don't mention the burnt doves again). It could work a cauldron like that, but with the needs of the current times.

Anyway, as I said before, a huge cauldron on top of the Corcovado would look nice and could be seen from any point of the city. Let's see if logistically works.

1. But why don't mention about the dove bbq? that issue is LEGEND.

2. Logistically, is hard to do it, and one reason is because the flame wouldn't be seen totally (or nothing at all) for people in Maracana stadium.

I highly doubt that they would want to have no cauldron at the athletics stadium, i.e. at Joao Havelange Olympic Stadium. It has been tradition for all Olympic Games since 1928 to have a flame in sight during the athletics events, and it would be a huge break from tradition if they did it differently in Rio.

I think the main cauldron will be located inside Maracana (not on top or overtowering), with secondary cauldron(s) at Havelange and maybe in the Olympic Park.

I think the main cauldron will be located inside Maracana (not on top or overtowering), with secondary cauldron(s) at Havelange and maybe in the Olympic Park.

Altho it would be silly and irresponsible to have the Maracana cauldron burning when nothing happens there after the OC and the football finals. I think the Maracana cauldron will go in 'low' burn during those days...while the Havelange one would be burning brightly for the photo opps needed; and then Maracana would glow again in the final 3 days. Just my conjecture.

• Like 1

Altho it would be silly and irresponsible to have the Maracana cauldron burning when nothing happens there after the OC and the football finals. I think the Maracana cauldron will go in 'low' burn during those days...while the Havelange one would be burning brightly for the photo opps needed; and then Maracana would glow again in the final 3 days. Just my conjecture.

Probable, but it's not only the football finals but probably also several group matches and quarter-/semi finals that will take place at Maracana. And judging by the significance football has in Brazil, they might want to have great photo ops for that sport, too, with the flame burning brightly behind the field of play.

• 1 month later...

I don't think the cauldron will be sit on the ground like in 2007, it would be horrible those protection net around the sacred flame.

I guess they'll build a tower or something like Seoul did in 1988.
Another chance is put the cauldron close to the roof like Beijing, but not so that close, after all we can't see the roof burning.
I have some news about Rio 2016 OC.
Italian Marco Balich, who's in charge of the Rio 2016 OC executive production, was interviewed last week in Sochi by a brazilian newspaper Lance! He's also producing this WOG closing ceremony and Paralympic's ceremonies. Look at his statement:
- O estádio foi concebido há muitos anos e apresenta inúmeros desafios do ponto de vista da produção - afirmou o italiano Balich.
-The Maracana Stadium was built many years ago, so this make the ceremonies' production very challenger because of the stadium's limitations.
According to him, the process to choose an artistic and criative director has been started already.

the Balich's complete interview

http://www.lancenet.com.br/rio2016/Produtor-cerimonias-Olimpiada-dificuldades-Maracana_0_1081691828.html

• 1 year later...

Bumping this because I remember the great debate that was the Beijing Cauldron Watch thread and we're within a year and nobody is talking about it.

I think they'll go Vancouver style and have a ceremonies cauldron and then one in Olympic park. I think it'll be a hybrid of the Salt Lake Cauldron and the Rio Torch. I have to guess the cauldron in the park would be in the yet to be developed circle and the point of the park. The tv views of the flame surround with the river/bay in the background would be great.

i have the idea of making a whole stadium it's self as the cauldron like a ring of fire on top of the roof. but seeing that the materials of maracana are not in my favor.

i still like the concept of 2012. every participating national has a piece of the cauldron and after the games its gone and temporary.

but having two cauldron for 2 site might not work of that concept.

maybe two diffrently design cauldron. something traditional and high (like a flaming penis) for the olympic

and something small for maracana like 2012 or 2007

Bumping this because I remember the great debate that was the Beijing Cauldron Watch thread and we're within a year and nobody is talking about it.

I think they'll go Vancouver style and have a ceremonies cauldron and then one in Olympic park. I think it'll be a hybrid of the Salt Lake Cauldron and the Rio Torch. I have to guess the cauldron in the park would be in the yet to be developed circle and the point of the park. The tv views of the flame surround with the river/bay in the background would be great.

I hope that's what they do. It's the only thing that makes sense because adding a cauldron tower to Maracana wouldn't really fit in well with the stadium and surrounding area, and a London style cauldron, while as great as it was, stayed out of the public's eye for the entire first week of the Games. Maybe they're do something like Sochi, where there's an obvious cauldron in the Olympic Park and they can do a giant fireworks show linking Maracana to the cauldron and lighting it that way. That would be unforgettable!

I hope that's what they do. It's the only thing that makes sense because adding a cauldron tower to Maracana wouldn't really fit in well with the stadium and surrounding area, and a London style cauldron, while as great as it was, stayed out of the public's eye for the entire first week of the Games. Maybe they're do something like Sochi, where there's an obvious cauldron in the Olympic Park and they can do a giant fireworks show linking Maracana to the cauldron and lighting it that way. That would be unforgettable!

The IOC made a specific complaint in their 2012 report about the London cauldron being invisible from outside the stadium- but on the other hand, a lot of other people would complain these days about a gas-guzzling mega-cauldron (which is a pity because Rio is uniquely rich in elevated sites for such a creation).

The IOC made a specific complaint in their 2012 report about the London cauldron being invisible from outside the stadium- but on the other hand, a lot of other people would complain these days about a gas-guzzling mega-cauldron (which is a pity because Rio is uniquely rich in elevated sites for such a creation).

I think London missed a huge opportunity have their cauldron be in the Olympic park during the games. In this day and age, nobody really cares if the cauldron moves in the middle of the night between the opening ceremony and first day of competition, or it could have done a Vancouver and had a second cauldron. The Olympic Park version could have stayed and been used in legacy mode....