Sign in to follow this  
Olympian2004

Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

26 minutes ago, yoshi said:

One that isn't the cauldron? After all, we know what that'll be :P

Well, it's not the kinetic sculpture (cauldron) as it's on all the pics out there... But what else do you guess we could have built?

A wonderful touching and moving relay of the torch through the stadium.

And the Kinetic Cauldron lit again and this time in a better position.

Also the rain gave an awesome effect of light reflection.

9 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

A gif of part of the ramps deployment (with a bit of luck we'll get spectator video of the whole thing from a single camera in the next few days):

Here's the sort of thing I mean (but I'll be looking out for more that aren't in vertical format!):

- and then I thought, "I'll just try to find one more before bedtime". Low resolution, but it does have the whole thing from the entry of the torch:

And I may as well add the Pira do Povo relighting too!

One great thing about the video which was made private was that it showed the stumble of Maria Malsar and the audience's reaction- yet paradoxically, one great thing I'm beginning to find about other spectator videos is that they deliberately and respectfully avoid showing that !

So here instead is one starting immediately after that, including a close-up of those pesky steps:

9 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

One great thing about the video which was made private was that it showed the stumble of Maria Malsar and the audience's reaction- yet paradoxically, one great thing I'm beginning to find about other spectator videos is that they deliberately and respectfully avoid showing that !

So here instead is one starting immediately after that, including a close-up of those pesky steps:

Have been extremely busy with other things these days that the above clip is the first I've seen of any of the Paralympic Opening ceremony.  But the final lighter's torch did NOT touch the cauldron bowl (unless I missed something).  Anyway, once Rio 2016 has passed into the history books, I can say that this Rio 2016-Howe creation is the first Olympic "cauldron-decorative appendage" to hang from above and descend -- or at least the show "cauldron" did.  I guess the one at the Port is in a non-moveable placement.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Have been extremely busy with other things these days that the above clip is the first I've seen of any of the Paralympic Opening ceremony.  But the final lighter's torch did NOT touch the cauldron bowl (unless I missed something).  Anyway, once Rio 2016 has passed into the history books, I can say that this Rio 2016-Howe creation is the first Olympic "cauldron-decorative appendage" to hang from above and descend -- or at least the show "cauldron" did.  I guess the one at the Port is in a non-moveable placement.  

The TV version of the cauldron lighting was filmed from a very different angle- seen about 3:40 in this official highlights clip:

2 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

Is there an external cauldron for this paralympic Games????? (The video deleted seemed to be the Olympic lighting, not the Paralympic)

The deleted video I posted last Thursday was the Paralympic cauldron lighting, including the whole lap of honour for the torch. The second video I posted with it shows the lighting of the outdoor cauldron, on the same site as for the Olympics. Here's another news story about the Paralympic relighting:

• Like 1

Just realized that the Rio "cauldron" is, well the decorative Howe-designed part anyway, the first show "orb" for lack of a better word, suspended for an Opening Ceremony rather than being held in place from the ground or wherever, from the bottom.  (The permanent one out in the Port Area, is held in place by a traditional spindle from below.) It's also the first Olympic cauldron that could function on its own without the separate 'fire' component which would technically not make it a "cauldron."  Maybe it should be called the first disco-ball-cum-cauldron  2-part apparatus.   

...and the first to be used as a prop at the Oscars.

Moana-Oscars.jpg

.....although the one at the Oscars may have been a little bigger and more complex, and they didn't order the side of flaming Caesar salad.

article-urn:publicid:ap.org:7f557efd2ca7

Edited by paul

24 minutes ago, paul said:

...and the first to be used as a prop at the Oscars.

Moana-Oscars.jpg

.....although the one at the Oscars may have been a little bigger and more complex, and they didn't order the side of flaming Caesar salad.

Altho the one used for the Oscars is of a different design -- it doesn't have the spheres and discs that the Rio one had.