Sign in to follow this  
Olympian2004

Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

27 minutes ago, guilherme said:

in cloud light III for sure now

where goes the fire?

Yes was thinking about the same question.  Should look simply amazing and the most beautiful Cauldron ever if they incorporate the flames cleverly in amongst the moving parts.

Still the coolest Cauldron since...well, 2004's flaming Marley...in fact...ever?

7 minutes ago, Blazerblaz3 said:

The church cauldron seems much much smaller than the maracana version

I think the sculptures are actually different. The stems of the circle plates have balls on them in the stadium but not in the square.

The inspiration for the Rio 2016 cauldron

compensaran-a-i-e-corazon-de-maria-por-r

The Virgen de la Macarena (or I guess, Maracana).   They could not get El Cristo Redentor in there, so they snuck in the Virgin instead!  And they've put the permanent one in FRONT OF A CHURCH, TOO!!  The first Christian Olympic Cauldron!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

2 hours ago, Blazerblaz3 said:

It could be the the church cauldron looks smaller because cameras aren't zooming in on it like the cauldron in the stadium. I do hope that the stadium cauldron is fixed to look more like the church cauldron, because it looks weird with the bowl just hanging there. 

I do like the symbolize of the cauldron though, even with the smaller flame, with the idea of reflecting the Olympic flame all over. It echos the lighting in Olympia from the reflection of the suns rays. I also liked how kids marched into the stadium with the athletes like in London, just with plants. A giant tree will serve an incredible reminder in legacy mode of the games, better than a copper petal. 

25 minutes ago, Nemo said:

I do hope that the stadium cauldron is fixed to look A giant tree will serve an incredible reminder in legacy mode of the games, better than a copper petal. 

The tree thing is a reverse of Berlin 1936 when instead of gathering to plant trees, the Berlin OCOG gave out 113 saplings from a mother oak tree in Berlin, to the gold medal winners who were then expected to plant those when they returned home.  Jesse Owens alone got 4 but only 2 survived and are still alive today.  A researcher named Jim COnstandt tracked down the  whereabouts of the 1936 saplings.  

But this "cauldron" is a fake one.  The sculpture is an entirely separate piece just placed behind a very basic cauldron.  

Where was the lighting of the outdoor cauldron?   Supposedly, they were going to be simultaneous????

Edited by baron-pierreIV

6 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The tree thing is a reverse of Berlin 1936 when instead of gathering to plant trees, the Berlin OCOG gave out 113 saplings from a mother oak tree in Berlin, to the gold medal winners who were then expected to plant those when they returned home.  Jesse Owens alone got 4 but only 2 survived and are still alive today.  A researcher named Jim COnstandt tracked down the  whereabouts of the 1936 saplings.  

But this "cauldron" is a fake one.  The sculpture is an entirely separate piece just placed behind a very basic cauldron.  

That's a good point. I guess the stadium cauldron is just a small bowl that's floating, but I do hope they connect them for the closing ceremony. It might be fun to see if the football players who play in Maracana get distracted or blinded by the reflected light from the flame.

As for the trees, at least in these games we'll know that the trees will be planted. The concept in Berlin 1936 doesn't make sense to me. What if the athletes don't live in areas where the tree can grow? 

6 minutes ago, Nemo said:

As for the trees, at least in these games we'll know that the trees will be planted. The concept in Berlin 1936 doesn't make sense to me. What if the athletes don't live in areas where the tree can grow? 

Then that was the athletes' problems.  But most of the gold winners in Berlin were from the temperate countries, so I think the Nazis calculated they would go to northern hemisphere countries.  Some of the 1936 winners just threw them away because of the association with Hitler. 

4 hours ago, Blazerblaz3 said:

Neither of them is huge. Here's the waterfront cauldron lighting:

Its a shame that the outside cauldron sculpture doesnt seem to move...

Also what will happen to the Maracana Cauldron? Will it be moved to the Olympic Stadium for the athletics events and then moved back for the closing? or will it keep burning in the Maracana? or will it be put out to be relit just before the closing ceremony?

Do the waterfront sculpture move as well? In that video it's static. They should have broadcasted the lighting of that cauldron as well.

1 hour ago, Scotguy said:

Its a shame that the outside cauldron sculpture doesnt seem to move...

Also what will happen to the Maracana Cauldron? Will it be moved to the Olympic Stadium for the athletics events and then moved back for the closing? or will it keep burning in the Maracana? or will it be put out to be relit just before the closing ceremony?

1 hour ago, HenryOaks said:

Do the waterfront sculpture move as well? In that video it's static. They should have broadcasted the lighting of that cauldron as well.

Well, the designers said that the sculpture is wind-powered. So it will probably move if it gets windy in Rio.

• Like 1

The small spherical-like device used for the cauldron (excluding the impressive Kinetic sculpture) reminds me a lot of the 2001 East Asian Games one, though that one seemed to be a bit larger.

ARXy5AY.jpg

Bel6Zxu.jpg

10 hours ago, Alexjc said:

Still the coolest Cauldron since...well, 2004's flaming Marley...in fact...ever?

This cauldron is awful.