Sign in to follow this  
Olympian2004

Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

I still can's see the cauldron being a kinetic sculpture. It wold be neat, but I'm not seeing it happen.

Also, isn't the concept of pieces of the cauldron being brought in with the athletes a bit too much like London? Once the Greek team walks in and we see someone carrying an odd looking item, we're all going to know it's the cauldron. The appeal of London'd cauldron was that we didn't know what the kids were carrying or why.

That was part of the appeal, but not the reason why it was done. The idea of gift sharing with the competing nations had been built into the built into the London bid (initially in the overambitious form of the Friend Ship). The "copper petals" implemented that concept and combined it with the related idea of "coming together in unity" which was expressed both in the merging of the five hot metal rings into the Olympic symbol (the first time the rings had come together from different places in the opening since Atlanta, I think) and the merging of the copper petals into a single flame in the cauldron.

Why not start a "cauldron of unity" tradition by doing something similar in Rio? The torch relay, for example, didn't exist in the Olympics until 1936 ...

That was part of the appeal, but not the reason why it was done. The idea of gift sharing with the competing nations had been built into the built into the London bid (initially in the overambitious form of the Friend Ship). The "copper petals" implemented that concept and combined it with the related idea of "coming together in unity" which was expressed both in the merging of the five hot metal rings into the Olympic symbol (the first time the rings had come together from different places in the opening since Atlanta, I think) and the merging of the copper petals into a single flame in the cauldron.

Why not start a "cauldron of unity" tradition by doing something similar in Rio? The torch relay, for example, didn't exist in the Olympics until 1936 ...

I get what you're saying, but how are the cauldrons on Rio, Pyongyang and Tokyo going to be different if they all use the same concept? Are they all going to come together in the end to create the cauldron, that'll get old fast. Besides, that doesn't make sense when you consider the cauldron in the port area.

And I just had a thought about the concept of a "kinetic" cauldron. Isn't the flame already the moving component in the sculpture?

• Like 1

Have we seen it lit? NO.

They aint stupid. Every cauldron lighting is a surpise

how are the cauldrons on Rio, Pyongyang and Tokyo going to be different if they all use the same concept?

That's up to the designers. In essence, the cauldron concepts in LA 1932 and Athens 2004 were the same- a tall beacon at one end of the stadium- but in practice they were very different.

Yesterday in a local news on Globo TV, they've said that the cauldron is in Canada.

Also, the base of the cauldron will be filled with water (the one that will stay on the Port Area).

In that case there's only one choice for the person to light the cauldron and kick off the first games in South America......

maradona-H160119154954.jpg

...with everything else that's happened why not?!

Yesterday in a local news on Globo TV, they've said that the cauldron is in Canada.

Also, the base of the cauldron will be filled with water (the one that will stay on the Port Area).

Rio's Mayor said yesterday the cauldron at the port area and the cauldron in Maracana are to be lit simultaneously. Regarding the port area's cauldron, he said that there will be water in it and that it will have a considerable height.

• Like 1

Rio's Mayor said yesterday the cauldron at the port area and the cauldron in Maracana are to be lit simultaneously.

Didn't I predict that as the most possible scenario? And someone here (I think it was you Mauricio), said I didn't know a hill o'beans about Ceremonies. Well, I guess not. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Budget cuts mean the last few days of the torch relay need to be stretched out...

13686735_1204660956235448_12266080064383

Didn't I predict that as the most possible scenario? And someone here (I think it was you Mauricio), said I didn't know a hill o'beans about Ceremonies. Well, I guess not. :rolleyes:

I can´t remember. You were right then, anyway. :unsure:

The Disney evening parade in Hong Kong has the same kenitic sculpture but it lights up. Here it is on Youtube

After half a minute, so what? It's no longer that impressive. But I don't see how that's going to work with gas pipe lines.

Did Disney design the cauldron? I mean, it looks cool, and the Disney fan inside me is overjoyed, but... what does that have to do with the cauldron?

Did Disney design the cauldron? I mean, it looks cool, and the Disney fan inside me is overjoyed, but... what does that have to do with the cauldron?

If we're putting 2 and 2 together -- that appears to be an Anthony Howe sculpture. What does it have to do? :rolleyes: Since Howe is the designer Rio has signed -- and like Heatherwick for London, for his unique style -- then expect (or at least that is what the Rio Committee has hoped for) for a cauldron along those lines. That is what that has to do with Rio.

After half a minute, so what? It's no longer that impressive. But I don't see how that's going to work with gas pipe lines.

It could work with gas pipes. You'd simply have to make the stems/branches/arms pipe lines. then fit a cool mirror at the end. totally would work.

• Like 1

If we're putting 2 and 2 together -- that appears to be an Anthony Howe sculpture. What does it have to do? :rolleyes: Since Howe is the designer Rio has signed -- and like Heatherwick for London, for his unique style -- then expect (or at least that is what the Rio Committee has hoped for) for a cauldron along those lines. That is what that has to do with Rio.

That makes more sense now.

kinetic.gif

So maybe like this, with the gas pipe running up the center

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Foglobo.globo.com%2Frio%2Fpiras-olimpicas-acendem-imaginacao-dos-cariocas-guardam-segredos-19734308

2016-923631263-201607151559321955.jpg_20

RIO - The design of the two Olympic caudrons of Rio remains guarded. It is confidential information, mystery that few know. But the secret of at least one of them begin to unravel. The sculpture already landed in port, and works in the scenario where it will be assembled, the future Esplanada de la Candelaria, entered the final stage. When ready, the church that gives its name - still provisional - the new play area will again be facing the Guanabara Bay, revitalizing a facade before hidden by the High Perimeter. Between the sea and one of the most emblematic historic buildings of the city, the Olympic flame will burn in the middle of a reflecting pool, surrounded by a flowery corridor.

In the square, the venue for the symbol of the Games will be next to the casa France-Brazil. It will be a kind of lake in a circle, with nearly six meters in diameter and 50 centimeters deep. The caudron, which should be about seven meters high, will shine in the center of this structure on a base of three meters in diameter. A building which, although surrounded by fences, can already be seen from the top of buildings.

For now, neither the caudron sculptor's name is revealed. Mayor Eduardo Paes said it came from Canada. Behind the scenes, it takes for granted that is a German artist. What is known, however, it is that will feature the work of set designer Abel Gomes, the same as the Olympics opening ceremony, scheduled for August 5 at the Maracana, where will the other caudron of Rio-2016.

COLORFUL LIGHTS

The set design, by the way, promises to be a sideshow. In the lake, the brightness in the water will be intensified by an LED lighting. Outside, four reflectors colored lights play on the sculpture. The public can get very close to everything and to sit on a bench around the water surface. For anyone jump into it, however, it is studied the installation of a protection around the lake - it can be demolished after the Games to avoid that attracts homeless people.

The caudron, in turn, should continue on the terrace. However, as it will be on and off - simultaneously, before or after installed at the Maracana - is another secret. The Rio 2016 comes to say that is the largest Olympic mystery. And Paes has been restricted to say that the stadium the square, is practically a straight line.

2016-923024119-201607121653318230.jpg_20

The works of the water surface - Daniel Marenco / Agência O Globo

(google translated)

So the 2 cauldrons are gonna be lit at the same time, & are positioned so there's a straight line from the Port to Maracana...laser beam lighting?

Ugh, when will you ever learn to realise how to spell properly.

Because I can obviously see you're spamming the forums with your nonsense that never happens in real life.

Go get a life, you idiot.

• Like 1

That makes more sense now.

kinetic.gif

So maybe like this, with the gas pipe running up the center

Spoon ballet.

So the 2 cauldrons are gonna be lit at the same time, & are positioned so there's a straight line from the Port to Maracana...laser beam lighting?

Although any two points are in a straight line, the "straight line from Maracana to Candelaria" thing is a myth. I suppose they could do it all with mirrors ....