Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

One great thing about the video which was made private was that it showed the stumble of Maria Malsar and the audience's reaction- yet paradoxically, one great thing I'm beginning to find about other spectator videos is that they deliberately and respectfully avoid showing that !

So here instead is one starting immediately after that, including a close-up of those pesky steps:

9 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

One great thing about the video which was made private was that it showed the stumble of Maria Malsar and the audience's reaction- yet paradoxically, one great thing I'm beginning to find about other spectator videos is that they deliberately and respectfully avoid showing that !

So here instead is one starting immediately after that, including a close-up of those pesky steps:

Have been extremely busy with other things these days that the above clip is the first I've seen of any of the Paralympic Opening ceremony.  But the final lighter's torch did NOT touch the cauldron bowl (unless I missed something).  Anyway, once Rio 2016 has passed into the history books, I can say that this Rio 2016-Howe creation is the first Olympic "cauldron-decorative appendage" to hang from above and descend -- or at least the show "cauldron" did.  I guess the one at the Port is in a non-moveable placement.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Have been extremely busy with other things these days that the above clip is the first I've seen of any of the Paralympic Opening ceremony.  But the final lighter's torch did NOT touch the cauldron bowl (unless I missed something).  Anyway, once Rio 2016 has passed into the history books, I can say that this Rio 2016-Howe creation is the first Olympic "cauldron-decorative appendage" to hang from above and descend -- or at least the show "cauldron" did.  I guess the one at the Port is in a non-moveable placement.  

The TV version of the cauldron lighting was filmed from a very different angle- seen about 3:40 in this official highlights clip:

2 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

Is there an external cauldron for this paralympic Games????? (The video deleted seemed to be the Olympic lighting, not the Paralympic)

The deleted video I posted last Thursday was the Paralympic cauldron lighting, including the whole lap of honour for the torch. The second video I posted with it shows the lighting of the outdoor cauldron, on the same site as for the Olympics. Here's another news story about the Paralympic relighting:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Just realized that the Rio "cauldron" is, well the decorative Howe-designed part anyway, the first show "orb" for lack of a better word, suspended for an Opening Ceremony rather than being held in place from the ground or wherever, from the bottom.  (The permanent one out in the Port Area, is held in place by a traditional spindle from below.) It's also the first Olympic cauldron that could function on its own without the separate 'fire' component which would technically not make it a "cauldron."  Maybe it should be called the first disco-ball-cum-cauldron  2-part apparatus.   

...and the first to be used as a prop at the Oscars.

Moana-Oscars.jpg

.....although the one at the Oscars may have been a little bigger and more complex, and they didn't order the side of flaming Caesar salad.

article-urn:publicid:ap.org:7f557efd2ca7

Edited by paul

24 minutes ago, paul said:

...and the first to be used as a prop at the Oscars.

Moana-Oscars.jpg

.....although the one at the Oscars may have been a little bigger and more complex, and they didn't order the side of flaming Caesar salad.

Altho the one used for the Oscars is of a different design -- it doesn't have the spheres and discs that the Rio one had.  

On 27/05/2017 at 6:26 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Just realized that the Rio "cauldron" is, well the decorative Howe-designed part anyway, the first show "orb" for lack of a better word, suspended for an Opening Ceremony rather than being held in place from the ground or wherever, from the bottom.

I suspect that the use of a traditional support underneathj the cauldron itself is a safety requirement- we wouldn't want the flame to burn through its own supports!

On 27/05/2017 at 7:51 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Altho the one used for the Oscars is of a different design -- it doesn't have the spheres and discs that the Rio one had.  

Probably all Anthony Howe's sculptures have variations from each other- he's an artist, not an artisan.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

It could be of your interest to know that Rio's mayor Eduardo Paes (2009-2016; 2021 - current) has reignited the fire at Olympic cauldron, apparently out of protocol using a simple lighter, to let it burn during the period of Tokyo 2020-1 Olympic games. It all seems like a stunt to promote his new term on the office and to draw attention to the follow-up of these past games.

In fact, he has recently made some statements regarding the legacy of Barra's Olympic Park. The temporary structures for the water sports arena and the Future arena should soon have found an enterprise contracted and responsible for their disassembly and conversion into smaller training installations and public schools.

17 hours ago, Flop br said:

It could be of your interest to know that Rio's mayor Eduardo Paes (2009-2016; 2021 - current) has reignited the fire at Olympic cauldron, apparently out of protocol using a simple lighter, to let it burn during the period of Tokyo 2020-1 Olympic games. It all seems like a stunt to promote his new term on the office and to draw attention to the follow-up of these past games.

I wonder if Mayor Paes knows what happened to the bigger cauldron (with reflector sculpture) used for ceremonies in the Maracana. Did it get sold?

According to this news from 2017, the one used at the Maracanã lays stored at a warehouse belonging to Abel Gomes, who also took part directing the ceremonies. There were various plans to put it on display in different places, maybe even in IOC headquarters in Switzerland, but it seems none went ahead. 

https://www.uol.com.br/esporte/ultimas-noticias/2017/08/29/um-ano-apos-rio-16-pira-olimpica-esta-encaixotada-em-galpao-na-zona-oeste.htm

Personally, even if it's not oficial, I found it was a nice step to have the flame burning again. I can easily see Tokyo doing the same by the time of Paris 2024. It could eventually become a new tradition to have previous hosts cauldrons all around the world reignited and sharing this flame "together", since the games motto now bears this notionspan widget

16 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

I wonder if Mayor Paes knows what happened to the bigger cauldron (with reflector sculpture) used for ceremonies in the Maracana. Did it get sold?

The full text from link above, by Google Translate:

Leo Burlá and Pedro Ivo Almeida From UOL, in Rio de Janeiro 08/29/2017 4:00 am

The centerpiece of the opening ceremony on August 5, 2016, the Olympic pyre was in the sights of the eyes of the world at the Games held in Rio de Janeiro. A year after shining at Maracanã, however, it has faded. No shine, disassembled. And without a single person being able to see it.

UOL Esporte found that the emblematic metal object was kept in a box and is abandoned in a shed in the west side of Rio de Janeiro. With no destination in mind, it was left at Maracanã for months and was almost shipped to the museum of the International Olympic Committee in Switzerland. It was in the warehouse of set designer Abel Gomes, general director of the Rio-2016 ceremonies, however, that she ended up stopping.

The Rio-2016 Committee claims that it could not pay the fees to keep the pyre that was lit by former marathon runner Vanderlei Cordeiro de Lima. After a round of negotiations, the costs of import taxes were reduced and the object remained in the Olympic city, more precisely in a box in the Santa Cruz district.

The intention was to create a museum with several records from the Pan 2007 and Rio-2016. According to Mario Andrada, communication director of the Rio-2016 Committee, Ilha de Pombeba, in Barra, would be the place that would house this collection under the responsibility of the Olympic Committee of Brazil (COB). Sought out by the report, the COB's staff informed that "there is no decision" on the matter.

Like the pyre, the revolving sculpture that made up the object is also discarded. The work, by the American artist Anthony Howe, produced a great plastic effect during the lighting of the fire.

With one of the biggest Olympic symbols abandoned, tourists interested in taking a picture can go to the region of Igreja da Candelária, in Rio's Port Area. The alternative pyre that was installed for the Games is still there. It doesn't have the same shine and representation, but at least it's not inside a box.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flop br said:

Like the pyre, the revolving sculpture that made up the object is also discarded. The work, by the American artist Anthony Howe, produced a great plastic effect during the lighting of the fire.

With one of the biggest Olympic symbols abandoned, tourists interested in taking a picture can go to the region of Igreja da Candelária, in Rio's Port Area. The alternative pyre that was installed for the Games is still there. It doesn't have the same shine and representation, but at least it's not inside a box.

I had difficulty deciding whether to award you a Heart or a Sad Face! That's so emblematic of the aftermath of Rio 2016.

• 1 month later...

Have your own Rio 2016 sculpture- cauldron at home!! 

Apparently small copies of Thomas Howe's sculptures are being sold.  But I just got a notice on my FB page that whomever is selling the small copies of his kinetic sculotres is going out of business -- so there's a sale going on:

Unique And Magical Metal Windmill- FreeShipping - DORGB (sanace.co)