Jump to content
Olympian2004

Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

If they can be recycled or re-used, it's not a problem :rolleyes:

The point is, is there a concerted effort to pick up the discarded bottles along the 26+ mile route?   There were many gaps where there were no people there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Buddy_LeChat said:

@Kenadian first time I see it turn. All the time they show it on TV it doesn't move. :(

 

If you're getting anything like the shot the BBC shows, they just went down to the harbour area at dead of night and filmed it for maybe ten minutes, and they've been showing the same footage on a loop ever since!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The point is, is there a concerted effort to pick up the discarded bottles along the 26+ mile route?   There were many gaps where there were no people there.  

There may well be an unofficial concerted effort, once all the officials have left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

There may well be an unofficial concerted effort, once all the officials have left.

Or, with the way things are going in Rio, there may not be.  And that's only for like 150 runners.  What about the huge Boston, New York, London,Tokyo, etc., marathons where there are THOUSANDS of runners?  Those are such a mess for the thousands who fancy themselves aspiring Phedippedes when the original one actually died after accomplishing his task.  :wacko:  I mean after 1896-1908, the whole dumb idea should've been discarded or at least tweaked.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So..... football's on now in Maracana (W Semi), and no cauldron: there's no flame. Just the "sculpture" thing, which is not moving (Not running the motor?). So the flame's not visible during ANY sport by ANY spectator. The thing's just... there. What's the point?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that's the case, have the Closing downtown where the flame is. Oh wait, there's supposed to be "2 flames", remember? One that's visible to streetgoers, and one that's at least visible during sport, which is, you know, the whole point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just thinking how lucky Rio is so far in that no one has thrown a sneaker at either of the caldera.  That would probably dent those tentacles and maybe cause the whole thing to misalign??  :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Was just thinking how lucky Rio is so far in that no one has thrown a sneaker at either of the caldera.  That would probably dent those tentacles and maybe cause the whole thing to misalign??  :blink:

It's Rio. They would throw a Havaiana and it would just bounce off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Was just thinking how lucky Rio is so far in that no one has thrown a sneaker at either of the caldera.  That would probably dent those tentacles and maybe cause the whole thing to misalign??  :blink:

Would take more than a sneaker... :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Anthony Howe said:

It's really great to see everyone's creativity and their willingness to share their ideas no matter how relevant. Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

It's really great to see you and Buddy take the time out to engage with us Olympic and cauldron nuts! On behalf of all of us, thanks and appreciation. I think you've won some more fans. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Just a belated note to say that I thought the sculpture in motion looked terrific during the Closing Ceremony !

I agree.  It was mesmerizing.  

I guess for the Paralympics, it will be missing a tentacle or 2??  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, was Ms. de Castro meant to get drenched in the moment?  So, she was singing a slow "Singing in the Rain" number in Portuguese?  Glad she wasn't electrocuted with a "live" myke.  

(BTW, if there is a Portugal, how come there is no Portuguy?   And if there are Portuguese, is there a Portugoose?   :blink: )

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a fantastic documentary on the production of the Ceremonies on the Olympic Channel: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/playback/viva/

Unfortunately this content is not viewable in the USA and gives an error when the ubiquitous arrow is clicked.

Does everyone else have this problem in the USA?

Has NBC decided this content is not appropriate for US viewers?

If so it's such an incredible shame since so many people, thousands really, gave freely of their energies and they deserve to be acknowledged.

Thanks!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Anthony Howe said:

There's a fantastic documentary on the production of the Ceremonies on the Olympic Channel: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/playback/viva/

Unfortunately this content is not viewable in the USA and gives an error when the ubiquitous arrow is clicked.

Does everyone else have this problem in the USA?

Has NBC decided this content is not appropriate for US viewers?

If so it's such an incredible shame since so many people, thousands really, gave freely of their energies and they deserve to be acknowledged.

Thanks!

 

 

 

It might be copyright issues causing this, Anthony.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×