Olympian2004

Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

I think the outdoor cauldron should had been a bit bigger. It feels so small, even smaller than the ones used for the relay. While the kinetic sculpture is impressive, it still feels somewhat lazy they just reused an already existing structure for it. 

Just now, Ikarus360 said:

I think the outdoor cauldron should had been a bit bigger. It feels so small, even smaller than the ones used for the relay. While the kinetic sculpture is impressive, it still feels somewhat lazy they just reused an already existing structure for it. 

Obviously, Howe gave them a good deal for 2 pieces (probably his mock-up maquettes) already sitting in his warehouse.  I'd be curious to know how much they paid Howe for them.  

3 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

actually he made it for the cauldron

It's underwhelming....why is it so small? I guess it moves if it's windy, it's squeaky in the video above maybe oiling it better will help it move. 

I'm just trying to take this contraption in, I mean it's not clever at all how they just stuck a bowl on a prong in front of it. I bet there were so many people plotting and planning and making designs on how to mount it and how the pinwheel would wok, they were probably really excited. Unfortunately it's just one of those projects that however complex the planning it just falls flat.

It's embarrassing.

On 8/11/2012 at 6:11 PM, Olympian2004 said:

The busiest thread of the whole London 2012 forum should get a successor. Here it is - any may it bloom to 300+ pages like its predecessor. ;)

...it got to 22 pages so far.

Interesting Utube video on the making.  However, it just magnifies the disconnect between the 2 elements.  Howe's fractal design was already out there; and, as others have pointed out, then they just stuck a bowl in front -- NOT even say 2 bowls (for the outdoor one -- one in front and one behind) for some balance -- and have male and female lighters to do it.  But the bigger question really is -- the flame does NOT power the motion of the sculpture and the sculpture does NOT power the flame; so... :blink:.?  

The over-complexity of the contraption really does NOT relate to the flame.  How many man-hours went into the production of the 2 sculptures; only to be adorned by a simple bowl.  Huh??  :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

45 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Obviously, Howe gave them a good deal for 2 pieces (probably his mock-up maquettes) already sitting in his warehouse.  I'd be curious to know how much they paid Howe for them.  

Already posted in this thread a few months go

R$11.000.000,00

About US$ 3.200.000,00

SECRETARIA ESPECIAL DE CONCESSÕES E DE PARCERIAS
PÚBLICO-PRIVADAS – SECPAR
COMPANHIA DE DESENVOLVIMENTO URBANO DA
REGIÃO DO PORTO DO RIO DE JANEIRO – CDURP
EXTRATO CONTRATUAL
EXPEDIENTE DO DIA 17/06/2016

Processo n°: 24/100.048/2016
1. Contrato: n° 002/2016
2.Objeto: Prestação de Serviços de criação, realização, com fornecimento
de materiais e equipamentos, montagem e desmontagem dos elementos
que compõem a escultura cinética a ser executada na AEIU do Porto
do Rio de Janeiro;
3.Partes: Companhia de Desenvolvimento Urbano da Região do Porto do
Rio de Janeiro S/A – CDURP e Cenários e Cenas Consultoria Assessoria
e Planejamento LTDA;
4. Razão: Inexigibilidade
5. Fundamento: Art. 25, caput, da Lei 8.666/93;
6. Valor Total do contrato: R$ 11.880.000,00 (onze milhões, oitocentos e
oitenta mil reais);
7. Vigência Contrato: 29/09/2016;
8. Data da celebração do Contrato: 03/06/2016

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, guilherme said:

Already posted in this thread a few months go

R$11.000.000,00

About US$ 3.200.000,00

SECRETARIA ESPECIAL DE CONCESSÕES E DE PARCERIAS
PÚBLICO-PRIVADAS – SECPAR
COMPANHIA DE DESENVOLVIMENTO URBANO DA
REGIÃO DO PORTO DO RIO DE JANEIRO – CDURP
EXTRATO CONTRATUAL
EXPEDIENTE DO DIA 17/06/2016

Processo n°: 24/100.048/2016
1. Contrato: n° 002/2016
2.Objeto: Prestação de Serviços de criação, realização, com fornecimento
de materiais e equipamentos, montagem e desmontagem dos elementos
que compõem a escultura cinética a ser executada na AEIU do Porto
do Rio de Janeiro;
3.Partes: Companhia de Desenvolvimento Urbano da Região do Porto do
Rio de Janeiro S/A – CDURP e Cenários e Cenas Consultoria Assessoria
e Planejamento LTDA;
4. Razão: Inexigibilidade
5. Fundamento: Art. 25, caput, da Lei 8.666/93;
6. Valor Total do contrato: R$ 11.880.000,00 (onze milhões, oitocentos e
oitenta mil reais);
7. Vigência Contrato: 29/09/2016;
8. Data da celebração do Contrato: 03/06/2016

Wow!  :blink: That's like 5x what I thought it would be!!  

I wonder where they will put the Stadium one after the Paras.  Maybe give it to Sao Paulo?? 

I feels a little like Rio was inspired a lot by London's long articulating arms but they struggled to achieve a seamless or unified concept. This is a pinwheel hanging behind a firepot. It really is trying too hard to be impressive and interesting, it lacks originality or design substance. Also it's too bad they also reused the sun idea from their Pan Am games, just gave it another been there done that feeling.  

Oh my....I hope he go out before it was raised.

_90693495_p043s2wv.jpg

Edited by paul

Does have anyone here seen the cauldron since the end of the OC? 

Normally there is a screen in the Broadcast Studio that shows the Cauldron all the time. But not this time. 

1 minute ago, Daze said:

Does have anyone here seen the cauldron since the end of the OC? 

Normally there is a screen in the Broadcast Studio that shows the Cauldron all the time. But not this time. 

I get to see the outdoor cauldron earlier (sorry no pics) and the kinectic part are not moving when I got to see it..

They seem to be keeping the second cauldron a secret - only a couple of quite unofficial videos around of it's lighting in the middle of the night and not seen a single shot of it on the broadcasts today.   It's as if the IOC are wanting to downplay the cauldron and make it just about the lighting rather than it burning for the games.

If the Maracana was the Olympic Stadium it would have been fine - the cauldron is just about visible above the roof line and it would look superb overlooking the athletics, and be one step up on the London cauldron.   But it's not - it's only used for football and to be honest I would be surprised at all to discover it's been removed for those games.

Hopefully Tokyo will return to the tradition but if this is the future of the games I'd rather see the torch arrive in the stadium earlier in the ceremony and then travel through the streets to the location of the city Cauldron to be lit at the end of the ceremony.

On 8/12/2012 at 6:31 AM, DannyelBrazil said:

I'd like to have something visible from outside Maracana or Gamesbids will be the hell in 2016..

:unsure:

me too want to outside Maracana.. watch this Olympics opening..

6 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Wow!  :blink: That's like 5x what I thought it would be!!  

I wonder where they will put the Stadium one after the Paras.  Maybe give it to Sao Paulo?? 

wooow really but how u earn this

So when does the Tokyo cauldron debate begin?

It has already hasn't it? I think the speculation is whether they'll bring the 1964 cauldron out of retirement.