Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

2 hours ago, Buddy_LeChat said:

Oups... clicked to fast!

As I don't have 12 minutes to waste... What's that ILLUMINATIng thing? Not another conspiracy thing I hope? Some folks out there need a life. And how a kinetic sculpture gets into this?

Yes, another conspiracy thing- and the form of the cauldron / kinetic sculpture combination is suggestive of sun-worship.

In London 2012, the triangular lighting gantries on the stadium were deemed by the same sort of people to be representations of the tall eye-in-pyramid seen on the evil conspiratorial dollar bill. Hey ho.

Just before this site went down for maintenance yesterday, I was going to post that I just received the electronic PDF version of my article, "Where Have All the Summer Cauldrons Gone?" which just appeared in the July issue of the Journal of the Int'ls Society of Olympic Historians (ISOH).  I can share this electronic copy--still not having seen the actual, physical copy myself-- with those who request it and aren't on my iGNORE list.  

(I realize there are some incorrect facts, but the editor, Volker Kluge, is responsible for that.  Anyway . . ., PM me with your email addy if you want a copy.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

2 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Just before this site went down for maintenance yesterday, I was going to post that I just received the electronic PDF version of my article, "Where Have All the Summer Cauldrons Gone?" which just appeared in the July issue of the Journal of the Int'ls Society of Olympic Historians (ISOH).  I can share this electronic copy--still not having seen the actual, physical copy myself-- for this who request it and aren't on my iGNORE list.  

(I realize there are some incorrect facts, but the editor, Volker Kluge, is responsible for that.  Anyway . . ., PM me with your email addy if you want a copy.)

I have the physical copy - received it last week.  It looks good.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GBModerator said:

I have the physical copy - received it last week.  It looks good.

Thanks, Rob.  Kluge, the editor, expanded it quite a bit but also threw in the parts about  

(i) Tokyo 2020 going thru with Zaha Hadid's original design  (I knew it had already changed but he still noted it);

(ii) Atopia's real name -- Atopia/Innovation (calling it Atopia International); and

(iii) not crediting our own Palette here (Hiroko) who supplied me with the one picture used for the Tokyo 1964 cauldron.  

I can't say if he/the Journal will print an  "Erratum" box in the next issue.  He really inflated the article in both good and bad ways.    

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Zaha's design looks a little like a supercar by MacLaren or Koenigsegg or maybe the cars looks like her. If, in fact, this is the stadium design they are building.

If they need a cauldron I got plenty of puss left over from where the last one came from. Gas flame options up the wazoo.

Incredible satisfaction and joy to be a part of it all.

Lotsa new flame options. Bud, you up for it? 

A wonderful touching and moving relay of the torch through the stadium.

And the Kinetic Cauldron lit again and this time in a better position.

Also the rain gave an awesome effect of light reflection.