Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

12 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

The Olympic flame is in an outdoor cauldron, using a smaller, wind-powered kinetic sculpture as backing, in a very popular site between the Candelaria Church and the waterfront.

I'm afraid that's not good enough. It is important for billions of TV audience to see the cauldron than few thousands people downtown. It is the symbol of the Games. The athletics events felt lacking something without the flame. Even though London's cauldron is small at least it is still visible in the stadium. I miss those pre-London giant over the stadium cauldron. Hope Tokyo will bring it back and no more these 'innovative' cauldron ideas. 

1 hour ago, kevzz said:

Where is the Olympic flame???

I didn't see the cauldron or any flame in the athletic stadium. Is the cauldron only to make one appearance in the opening ceremony? This is such a break from tradition it's unforgivable. One very big #RIOPROBLEMS. Rio is turning into a real farce. Don't even get my started with all the empty seats, made me super crossed. 

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/piraolimpica/

Amazing having Mr. Howe and Buddy contribute to the cauldron thread, I appreciate it so much guys. It's so cool to learn a little more about this important part of the Rio project from the the folks who made it happen. Of course we will always pick apart all the details and analyze how the Rio team chose use and display the cauldron(s) but knowing just a bit more about the actual work is fascination and insightful.

I wonder how the stadium cauldron will be used in the closing and Paralympic ceremony and where it will ultimately reside after the games? Perhaps a museum.

Hi there guys. 

Just came back last night from Rio. Such an incredible experiencie.

And for this topic, despite it was insanely crowded, seeing the cauldron and the olympic flame in front of me was such a memorable moment. For me, a simply guy who love sports, this meant so much. It was not a ginormous cauldron, but it was beautiful and inspiring.

(and of course I have my picture with the cauldron behind hehehe)

23 hours ago, kevzz said:

It is important for billions of TV audience to see the cauldron than few thousands people downtown. It is the symbol of the Games. The athletics events felt lacking something without the flame. Even though London's cauldron is small at least it is still visible in the stadium. I miss those pre-London giant over the stadium cauldron. Hope Tokyo will bring it back and no more these 'innovative' cauldron ideas. 

That, however, is not what the IOC's Coordination Commission recommended following their criticism of the London cauldron siting:

The cauldron should be placed in a way that allows most visitors and fans to take photos.

Nothing about TV there, and Rio obeyed them to the letter. Given that the ceremonial stadium was not the track & field stadium, and given that the T & F stadium is not in the main Olympic Park, Rio probably could not have done anything other than what they have done without ignoring the CoCom recommendation.

• Like 1

It looks as though the "cauldron" has been removed from it's tracks and winched up higher next to the roof line. I like how it looks up there. I have asked Buddy if they ever let it spin.

It will be used for the Paraolympics but in what capacity I do not know. I do know they only have twelve hours following a soccer game to get ready for the main closing ceremony. Thanks!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Anthony Howe said:

It looks as though the "cauldron" has been removed from it's tracks and winched up higher next to the roof line. I like how it looks up there. I have asked Buddy if they ever let it spin.

It will be used for the Paraolympics but in what capacity I do not know. I do know they only have twelve hours following a soccer game to get ready for the main closing ceremony. Thanks!

Except I don't see any bowl of fire on those latest photos.

I wonder if they'll add it somehow during the soccer games, or it will just reappear for the closing ceremony, supported on the raised ladder of a fire-truck ?

Actually, the whole concept of getting the stadium ready to have its pitch trampled by thousands of feet within 12 hours of the last match is a source of puzzlement (and / or deep concern) in general !

On 12/08/2016 at 11:25 PM, JMarkSnow2012 said:

The Olympic flame is in an outdoor cauldron, using a smaller, wind-powered kinetic sculpture as backing, in a very popular site between the Candelaria Church and the waterfront.

In fact, I'd say it's the site described here by Zekekelso:

The official live sites are the Olympic Boulevards, including the main one in the renovated port area. Ten to five teen years from now I think those renovations will be the best way to judge the success (or not) if the games from an urban planning standpoint.

Much of what feels missing from Olympic Park is in the downtown OB. I suspect there was a change plans after the OP was designed. The great news is all of Rio has acres to the fun. The bad news is Olympic park has vast near-empty spaces. There are 50 food trucks serving everything and anything you could want to eat at the OB. There are a small number of crap food stands (that run out of food, which is their whole point) in Olympic Park.

Rio 2016 will be forever remembered as the first and only Olympic Games that dismiss the cauldron. Totally unacceptable. I hope IOC learnt their lesson from this and will not accept any other future attempt to not have cauldron in the athletic stadium.

1 minute ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Sad they couldn't move the casuldron sculpture to the Athletics Stadium for the competition....looks lonely over at the Maracanã...

Exactly. It's such a waste and I wonder how hard can it be to move the cauldron and the sculpture to the athletic stadium? Just very short sighted of the organiser.