Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

6 minutes ago, Nemo said:

As for the trees, at least in these games we'll know that the trees will be planted. The concept in Berlin 1936 doesn't make sense to me. What if the athletes don't live in areas where the tree can grow? 

Then that was the athletes' problems.  But most of the gold winners in Berlin were from the temperate countries, so I think the Nazis calculated they would go to northern hemisphere countries.  Some of the 1936 winners just threw them away because of the association with Hitler. 

Its a shame that the outside cauldron sculpture doesnt seem to move...

Also what will happen to the Maracana Cauldron? Will it be moved to the Olympic Stadium for the athletics events and then moved back for the closing? or will it keep burning in the Maracana? or will it be put out to be relit just before the closing ceremony?

1 hour ago, Scotguy said:

Its a shame that the outside cauldron sculpture doesnt seem to move...

Also what will happen to the Maracana Cauldron? Will it be moved to the Olympic Stadium for the athletics events and then moved back for the closing? or will it keep burning in the Maracana? or will it be put out to be relit just before the closing ceremony?

1 hour ago, HenryOaks said:

Do the waterfront sculpture move as well? In that video it's static. They should have broadcasted the lighting of that cauldron as well.

Well, the designers said that the sculpture is wind-powered. So it will probably move if it gets windy in Rio.

• Like 1

I think the outdoor cauldron should had been a bit bigger. It feels so small, even smaller than the ones used for the relay. While the kinetic sculpture is impressive, it still feels somewhat lazy they just reused an already existing structure for it. 

Just now, Ikarus360 said:

I think the outdoor cauldron should had been a bit bigger. It feels so small, even smaller than the ones used for the relay. While the kinetic sculpture is impressive, it still feels somewhat lazy they just reused an already existing structure for it. 

Obviously, Howe gave them a good deal for 2 pieces (probably his mock-up maquettes) already sitting in his warehouse.  I'd be curious to know how much they paid Howe for them.  

3 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

actually he made it for the cauldron

It's underwhelming....why is it so small? I guess it moves if it's windy, it's squeaky in the video above maybe oiling it better will help it move. 

I'm just trying to take this contraption in, I mean it's not clever at all how they just stuck a bowl on a prong in front of it. I bet there were so many people plotting and planning and making designs on how to mount it and how the pinwheel would wok, they were probably really excited. Unfortunately it's just one of those projects that however complex the planning it just falls flat.

It's embarrassing.

Interesting Utube video on the making.  However, it just magnifies the disconnect between the 2 elements.  Howe's fractal design was already out there; and, as others have pointed out, then they just stuck a bowl in front -- NOT even say 2 bowls (for the outdoor one -- one in front and one behind) for some balance -- and have male and female lighters to do it.  But the bigger question really is -- the flame does NOT power the motion of the sculpture and the sculpture does NOT power the flame; so... :blink:.?  

The over-complexity of the contraption really does NOT relate to the flame.  How many man-hours went into the production of the 2 sculptures; only to be adorned by a simple bowl.  Huh??  :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

45 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Obviously, Howe gave them a good deal for 2 pieces (probably his mock-up maquettes) already sitting in his warehouse.  I'd be curious to know how much they paid Howe for them.  

Already posted in this thread a few months go

R$11.000.000,00

About US$ 3.200.000,00

SECRETARIA ESPECIAL DE CONCESSÕES E DE PARCERIAS
PÚBLICO-PRIVADAS – SECPAR
COMPANHIA DE DESENVOLVIMENTO URBANO DA
REGIÃO DO PORTO DO RIO DE JANEIRO – CDURP
EXTRATO CONTRATUAL
EXPEDIENTE DO DIA 17/06/2016

Processo n°: 24/100.048/2016
1. Contrato: n° 002/2016
2.Objeto: Prestação de Serviços de criação, realização, com fornecimento
de materiais e equipamentos, montagem e desmontagem dos elementos
que compõem a escultura cinética a ser executada na AEIU do Porto
do Rio de Janeiro;
3.Partes: Companhia de Desenvolvimento Urbano da Região do Porto do
Rio de Janeiro S/A – CDURP e Cenários e Cenas Consultoria Assessoria
e Planejamento LTDA;
4. Razão: Inexigibilidade
5. Fundamento: Art. 25, caput, da Lei 8.666/93;
6. Valor Total do contrato: R$ 11.880.000,00 (onze milhões, oitocentos e
oitenta mil reais);
7. Vigência Contrato: 29/09/2016;
8. Data da celebração do Contrato: 03/06/2016

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, guilherme said:

Already posted in this thread a few months go

R$11.000.000,00

About US$ 3.200.000,00

SECRETARIA ESPECIAL DE CONCESSÕES E DE PARCERIAS
PÚBLICO-PRIVADAS – SECPAR
COMPANHIA DE DESENVOLVIMENTO URBANO DA
REGIÃO DO PORTO DO RIO DE JANEIRO – CDURP
EXTRATO CONTRATUAL
EXPEDIENTE DO DIA 17/06/2016

Processo n°: 24/100.048/2016
1. Contrato: n° 002/2016
2.Objeto: Prestação de Serviços de criação, realização, com fornecimento
de materiais e equipamentos, montagem e desmontagem dos elementos
que compõem a escultura cinética a ser executada na AEIU do Porto
do Rio de Janeiro;
3.Partes: Companhia de Desenvolvimento Urbano da Região do Porto do
Rio de Janeiro S/A – CDURP e Cenários e Cenas Consultoria Assessoria
e Planejamento LTDA;
4. Razão: Inexigibilidade
5. Fundamento: Art. 25, caput, da Lei 8.666/93;
6. Valor Total do contrato: R$ 11.880.000,00 (onze milhões, oitocentos e
oitenta mil reais);
7. Vigência Contrato: 29/09/2016;
8. Data da celebração do Contrato: 03/06/2016

Wow!  :blink: That's like 5x what I thought it would be!!  

I wonder where they will put the Stadium one after the Paras.  Maybe give it to Sao Paulo?? 

I feels a little like Rio was inspired a lot by London's long articulating arms but they struggled to achieve a seamless or unified concept. This is a pinwheel hanging behind a firepot. It really is trying too hard to be impressive and interesting, it lacks originality or design substance. Also it's too bad they also reused the sun idea from their Pan Am games, just gave it another been there done that feeling.