Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

10 minutes ago, Brekkie Boy said:

Also as much as it was a nice idea to give the petals back to each nation I think it could have stood very well as a sculpture within the Olympic Park post-games and it's a shame it was effectively dismantled. 

Its passing beauty was in its lit, upward movement.  Other than that, it would really be just a "Huh? So-what" piece of metal.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brekkie Boy said:

Also as much as it was a nice idea to give the petals back to each nation I think it could have stood very well as a sculpture within the Olympic Park post-games and it's a shame it was effectively dismantled. 

Olympic-Cauldron-Museum-of-London-12.jpg

There is a permanent gallery for the cauldron at the Museum of London.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alphamale86 said:

Oh don't get me wrong it was beautiful to watch but after it became stationary it just was a flame on rods

- well, 204 flames on 204 rods, which was a key part of the concept

11 minutes ago, Brekkie Boy said:

- which was another key part of the concept. The Cauldron is the receptacle for the Flame, and it's the Flame which symbolises the Games.

3 hours ago, Kevin C. said:

No cauldron-related updates? Me thinks they're probably doing a good job in keeping it hush.

I think we're just gotten to a point where we know that it's going to be kinetic and have fire, so we're just waiting for the ceremony. Might as well discuss what we liked about passed cauldrons and see what can be done differently in Rio.

4 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Hide contents

image.jpg

Yeah. but it's hiding behind that circular wall.  So either the wall opens up or it rises OVER the crest of the arc -- which doesn't leave it much room from the roof.  It's just so strange the way they have laid it out -- with no attempts to even cover it up.  Altho once the name of Howe was out, that was pretty much it.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Ditto. I think it's safe to say that the cauldron won't be your typical concave bowl but a kinetic sculpture instead.  Question is, would this create a trend or "slippery slope" for future cauldron designs? 

The inspiration for the Rio 2016 cauldron

compensaran-a-i-e-corazon-de-maria-por-r

The Virgen de la Macarena (or I guess, Maracana).   They could not get El Cristo Redentor in there, so they snuck in the Virgin instead!  And they've put the permanent one in FRONT OF A CHURCH, TOO!!  The first Christian Olympic Cauldron!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

2 hours ago, Blazerblaz3 said:

The church cauldron seems much much smaller than the maracana version

It could be the the church cauldron looks smaller because cameras aren't zooming in on it like the cauldron in the stadium. I do hope that the stadium cauldron is fixed to look more like the church cauldron, because it looks weird with the bowl just hanging there. 

I do like the symbolize of the cauldron though, even with the smaller flame, with the idea of reflecting the Olympic flame all over. It echos the lighting in Olympia from the reflection of the suns rays. I also liked how kids marched into the stadium with the athletes like in London, just with plants. A giant tree will serve an incredible reminder in legacy mode of the games, better than a copper petal. 

25 minutes ago, Nemo said:

I do hope that the stadium cauldron is fixed to look A giant tree will serve an incredible reminder in legacy mode of the games, better than a copper petal. 

The tree thing is a reverse of Berlin 1936 when instead of gathering to plant trees, the Berlin OCOG gave out 113 saplings from a mother oak tree in Berlin, to the gold medal winners who were then expected to plant those when they returned home.  Jesse Owens alone got 4 but only 2 survived and are still alive today.  A researcher named Jim COnstandt tracked down the  whereabouts of the 1936 saplings.  

But this "cauldron" is a fake one.  The sculpture is an entirely separate piece just placed behind a very basic cauldron.  

Where was the lighting of the outdoor cauldron?   Supposedly, they were going to be simultaneous????

Edited by baron-pierreIV

6 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The tree thing is a reverse of Berlin 1936 when instead of gathering to plant trees, the Berlin OCOG gave out 113 saplings from a mother oak tree in Berlin, to the gold medal winners who were then expected to plant those when they returned home.  Jesse Owens alone got 4 but only 2 survived and are still alive today.  A researcher named Jim COnstandt tracked down the  whereabouts of the 1936 saplings.  

But this "cauldron" is a fake one.  The sculpture is an entirely separate piece just placed behind a very basic cauldron.  

That's a good point. I guess the stadium cauldron is just a small bowl that's floating, but I do hope they connect them for the closing ceremony. It might be fun to see if the football players who play in Maracana get distracted or blinded by the reflected light from the flame.

As for the trees, at least in these games we'll know that the trees will be planted. The concept in Berlin 1936 doesn't make sense to me. What if the athletes don't live in areas where the tree can grow?