Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

^^That looks like a more effective way to cover the cauldron without having a physical structure to mess with. I am anticipating a view from above soon!

On 02/08/2016 at 7:42 PM, Nemo said:

What is the function of the cubes?

Functions of the cubes?!! Being cubes! You know something? I sometimes think that there are a bunch of old aunts jacking about what may or may not be  and they cumm when someone posts pictures. A type of psychopathy. They, their navels and what else? Poor ones.

5 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Oooooooooh !

I sense fun approaching ...

Oooooooooh !

Oooooooooh !

<div id="inner-editor"></div>

they, their navels and what else?

Christ I haven't posted here in a very VERY long time lol. I'm curious to see what the cauldron will look like, being kinetic and all.  Unsure why they didn't go with a local Brazilian artist, but it's pretty much irrelevant at this point. What I am eager to know will be how the cauldron will be lit and how the external bigger cauldron will be lit as well. Call me a traditionalist but I believe the torch of the final torchbearer should touch the cauldron or that the olympic flame itself touches the cauldron (i.e, Atlanta 96's flaming white thing or Beijing 08's spiral flame thing). So to have Rio to some sort of "magical transfer" of the flame from the stadium cauldron to the external cauldron (ala Torino '06, Sochi '14) would pretty much devalue the ceremonies and have it likened to a Pan Am-esque OC.  On the flip side....Rio's organizing committee is cash strapped so yeah :/. Just my two cents...and a nickel.  

3 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

2004 Athens, Greece - Olympic Games

image2004.jpg

I think this is still my favorite. Such a well places cauldron with a beautiful flame. Though, London's symbolism was amazing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Icaro said:

Functions of the cubes?!! Being cubes! You know something? I sometimes think that there are a bunch of old aunts jacking about what may or may not be  and they cumm when someone posts pictures. A type of psychopathy. They, their navels and what else? Poor ones.

<div id="inner-editor"></div>

they, their navels and what else?

Oooooooooh !

Fun from an unexpected direction !

Yummy.

I never realized how much fire was involved with international sport competitions. 

I know that earlier I said that Athens 2004 was my favorite cauldron (it still is), but I think that the London 2012 cauldron is going to be go down as the most iconic cauldron of the 21st century for it's symbolism and beauty. I hope Rio didn't get their hopes up.

6 hours ago, Nemo said:

I think that the London 2012 cauldron is going to be go down as the most iconic cauldron of the 21st century for it's symbolism and beauty. I hope Rio didn't get their hopes up.

I must admit I loved the movement of London's cauldron from it being initially lit and the petals rising but I thought is was simply blah when it got to it's final form. It just didn't look beautiful. Just a fire on some brown rods. I actually think the NANJING cauldron was beautiful after it was lit. The water fire combination was extremely unique and I actually think if we are going to say Iconic then VANCOUVER had the most beautiful cauldron completely unique and very synonymous with the region. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alphamale86 said:

I must admit I loved the movement of London's cauldron from it being initially lit and the petals rising but I thought is was simply blah when it got to it's final form. It just didn't look beautiful. Just a fire on some brown rods.

Not brown- metallic:

Similarly with the relay torches- they probably got as sooty as the Rio ones, but it wasn't at all obvious because of the shiny metallic finish.

I loved the lighting of the cauldron in London (one of my faves, and for once something mechanical worked), but hated how it didn't shine over London for the duration of the games.  Having the cauldron locked inside an empty stadium for half the games is not what it's supposed to be about.

Therefore Athens probably wins for me - simple, elegant and quite modern.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Not brown- metallic:

Similarly with the relay torches- they probably got as sooty as the Rio ones, but it wasn't at all obvious because of the shiny metallic finish.

Oh don't get me wrong it was beautiful to watch but after it became stationary it just was a flame on rods