Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

12 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

No.  Lake Placid 1980 was the first Olympic cauldron which involved some form of movement.  

That's true. If you're including Lake Placid, might as well include Sydney's too... and Athens

2 minutes ago, Nemo said:

That's true. If you're including Lake Placid, might as well include Sydney's too... and Athens

and Vancouver... and London

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

Also, without having done much research, was the 2006 Asia Games opening ceremony cauldron the first one with constantly moving parts (kinetic) once it was lit ?

41 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

No.  Lake Placid 1980 was the first Olympic cauldron which involved some form of movement.  

But AustralianFan asked specifically about constantly moving parts once lit, which I don't think has been true of any Olympic cauldron so far.

• Like 1

I loved the Doha cauldron design for the stadium. it was most dramatic and kept you in suspense even after it was lit. when it started to move I remember audibly gasping. To me there is no such thing as a "vulgar cauldron."  It's a cauldron. It's only purpose is to be the focal point, the finale, the crescendo, so in my opinion it has to be grand, or creative, or innovative. Makes people not only want to stay to the end but makes it worth staying to the end of the ceremony.

If we are honest with ourselves Barcelona's cauldron would have been a let done had they not lit it with the archer. Seoul would have been completely uninteresting hadn't the doves been incinerated and the only thing that made the lighting of Atlanta exciting was Ali, cause that sure was a pointless exercise.

Sydney got it right and even the glitch added to the drama. To me the best lighting on record. It had three distinct phases, The water lighting, the ascent and the rising on the podium. Even the strong contrast of fire and water and the lights under the water fall turning from blue to gold after the cauldron passed over it. Perfect! I was a bit disappointed at Athens but every time I re-watch it the music is so dramatic that it makes me like it more and more each time. Design wise Beijing had a full concept incorporating the scroll into the stadium as it was a focal unifying motif of the OC. I actually thought it was beautiful, but am I the only one who thought Li Ning ran for too long? I mean they already had 7 runners taking it around the stadium for almost 10 minutes then he took another 4 minutes in the air. I just felt after he flew up we lost a bit of the excitement and novelty after the first minute and a half of him running. London was charmingly beautiful but I am not a fan of giving none olympians the chance to light the cauldron. We don't know if those kids will stay with their sport. They might have quit 2 years later, so that was a let down even though the cauldron itself provided the beauty

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alphamale86 said:

I loved the Doha cauldron design for the stadium. it was most dramatic and kept you in suspense even after it was lit. when it started to move I remember audibly gasping. To me there is no such thing as a "vulgar cauldron."  It's a cauldron. It's only purpose is to be the focal point, the finale, the crescendo, so in my opinion it has to be grand, or creative, or innovative. Makes people not only want to stay to the end but makes it worth staying to the end of the ceremony.

If we are honest with ourselves Barcelona's cauldron would have been a let done had they not lit it with the archer. Seoul would have been completely uninteresting hadn't the doves been incinerated and the only thing that made the lighting of Atlanta exciting was Ali, cause that sure was a pointless exercise.

Sydney got it right and even the glitch added to the drama. To me the best lighting on record. It had three distinct phases, The water lighting, the ascent and the rising on the podium. Even the strong contrast of fire and water and the lights under the water fall turning from blue to gold after the cauldron passed over it. Perfect! I was a bit disappointed at Athens but every time I re-watch it the music is so dramatic that it makes me like it more and more each time. Design wise Beijing had a full concept incorporating the scroll into the stadium as it was a focal unifying motif of the OC. I actually thought it was beautiful, but am I the only one who thought Li Ning ran for too long? I mean they already had 7 runners taking it around the stadium for almost 10 minutes then he took another 4 minutes in the air. I just felt after he flew up we lost a bit of the excitement and novelty after the first minute and a half of him running. London was charmingly beautiful but I am not a fan of giving none olympians the chance to light the cauldron. We don't know if those kids will stay with their sport. They might have quit 2 years later, so that was a let down even though the cauldron itself provided the beauty

Beijing is the worst - overwrought, tried too hard, pretentiou fake running and longer than it should be. Fave still Athens and Sydney. London was sweet and pretty, but I just can't look over the fact that it is a small cauldron that pales in the background during athletics. The only saving grace for London's cauldron ceremony is the music and the mechanism. And I still do think Heatherwick did in some way saw the Atopia's design and let it seeped into his.

5 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

But AustralianFan asked specifically about constantly moving parts once lit, which I don't think has been true of any Olympic cauldron so far.

Well, none have -- because after the near glitches of Atlanta and Sydney, Salt Lake, for example purposely AVOIDED any moving parts for their cauldron.  It's a matter of over-doing it.  I mean Doha's was a pure exercise in ego.  You could see it in the faces of the Thani ruling family...And it turns out this Brazil one -- as unlit, isn't even really a uniquely original design since it comes from the shelf of Howe's existing inventory.  Let's hope it and its big self on the Port Area, don't flub on the big night.  I mean I doubt that the IOC members go gaga over the cauldron as members of this forum do.  

As for moving "parts" question, then it's probably London.  But then again, was the nitpicky question -- "moving parts" lit by the flame and thus, the flame combustion, causing the moving -- or just like London where the flames did NOT cause the movement, but there were simply 200 parts that somehow moved?  I mean, it's really a very "anal" question.  And we don't even know how this 2016 cauldron will operate.  For all we know, once the flames get going, maybe the whole thing melts before our eyes -- a la Dali's melting faces of time???  :blink:

4 hours ago, alphamale86 said:

I am not a fan of giving none olympians the chance to light the cauldron. We don't know if those kids will stay with their sport. They might have quit 2 years later, so that was a let down even though the cauldron itself provided the beauty

But before 1996, that was basically the normal way of doing things, at least in summer (interrupted most notably by the little Cold War squabble in 1980-84).

4 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Thanks Nenau10.

The temporary building there looks like it could be the 'dressing room'  (assembly or preparation) for the outdoor cauldron (?), even though the roof seems to have suffered from the wind perhaps and come a little undone.

It looks like the base of the Cauldron right next to it, with what are probably gaslines already in place.

Last minute landscaping works seem to be well underway near the outdoor cauldron's base.

The funny thing is that although the Cauldron is inside the "dressing room" (which, formerly at least, had a smaller roofed strucxture inside it, and no roof of its own) the circular structure seen a little further back in the photo does look roughly similar in size to the cauldron base, presumably intended as a companion when the cauldron is unveiled.

- and boy oh boy, that landscaping work really is a bit last-minute. That's not a small area they are having to pretty up in a hurry.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

But before 1996, that was basically the normal way of doing things, at least in summer (interrupted most notably by the little Cold War squabble in 1980-84).

I understand that fact but I still like the fact that the nights highest honor should go to a person who competed. Instead of a "who" moment? And I am not saying who as in the international audience I am talking about the local audience. I am sure Londoner's felt proud of those kids but everyone in that stadium probably was like who are these people?

6 hours ago, neneu10 said:

CoZpAOCWcAAyzZh.jpg

Ok Now I don't want to downplay Rio's abilities but with 1 week to go this is beyond behind schedule for landscaping but then again it is possible to turn a stadium into a concert hall and then into a football field over night so I guess this too is possible. I just hope they have enough time to fully test the thing.

3 hours ago, alphamale86 said:

I still like the fact that the nights highest honor should go to a person who competed. Instead of a "who" moment? And I am not saying who as in the international audience I am talking about the local audience. I am sure Londoner's felt proud of those kids but everyone in that stadium probably was like who are these people?

Surely what matters most is ensuring that people understand the reason for the choice. In London there were seven Olymipans, but to symbolise "Inspire a Generation" they passed the flame to seven youngsters. In Barcelona there was a Paralympian. In Sydney there was an Olympian who was also a woman of indigenous Australian ancestry. In Atlanta there was an Olympian who was also a fighter for social justice. In Tokyo there was a man born in Hiroshima the day the bomb was dropped ...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Conor15 said:

Um, no it won't

It has to be someone from the host country. Also please don't make about transgender people please.

Oh please, Conor.  This is a free and open forum.  And I used the new persona Jenner identifies with.  SO how can that be a "joke"?  A public person is NOT sacrosanct from praise or parody.  

9 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Surely what matters most is ensuring that people understand the reason for the choice. In London there were seven Olymipans, but to symbolise "Inspire a Generation" they passed the flame to seven youngsters. In Barcelona there was a Paralympian. In Sydney there was an Olympian who was also a woman of indigenous Australian ancestry. In Atlanta there was an Olympian who was also a fighter for social justice. In Tokyo there was a man born in Hiroshima the day the bomb was dropped ...

Completely understand but this is just simple preference here some people like the color red I like an olympian to light the cauldron. they can be what ever they need them to be buy just an olympian that's all

A guy with such a remarkable experience in OC like you shouldn't be mistaken at this point on this subject. What a shame! Let me tell you: Dilma Rousseff is the one who will lit the caudron. After receveing the torch from last torch bearer she will burn her hair and then she will grab one arm of the kinetic sculpture and will stay there on fire with the cauldron, as she goes up and down and turns around till the end of the games. At the end of the CC, they wiil remove her ashes and throw  the in the Guanabara Bay. This is the plan. But, there is already a sort of unrest in the bay because of that. It is said that some bacteria have already scheduled a huge protestation.They claim that there would be a kind of unfair competition and they fear for the integrity of their lives. 

3 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Thanks JMarkSnow2012.  Yep tried drag and drop but no luck. I'm using an iPad but same result on a laptop.  I checked my account and it says my Attachment Allowance is 1kb, which I think is the problem.

3 requests to the GB Moderaror or to the Helpline here in the last 7 days and no reply. Haven't attached anything here since the lead up to London's OC.  Just perplexed. 

I too have a 1k allowance in "My attachments", but drag and drop seems to be working for me (as do other attachments methods). Very bizarre.

12 hours ago, phandrosis said:

My only concern is that the flame is still under the fabric roof, but I'm not sure if the material is flame resistant enough or if they reinforced it or something, but I'm hoping that it doesn't just start to melt...

Well, we'll find out on August 5th.  Or that might be the NEXT BIG surprise, after all the adventures at the Village.  :lol: