Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

Intriguing!

I'd expected the cauldron site to be nearer the quayside, not so close to the Casa França-Brasil. This site suggests it won't be particularly tall.

Dumb question but where in Rio is this? Is it like right next to the church?

Has anybody floated the idea of the cauldron being in the shape of the Rio logo?

Thank you JMarkSnow2012! It looks like a good location to me. Not in the middle of the walkway by the bay, not right next to the church.

Looks like the scaffolding is about 30' tall. I'm sure Barron could tell us how that would compare to the heights of other cauldrons. Guessing they're going to go London's route and not have a tower/base.

I don't think he's ever worked with fire before, so I don't see how his kinetic sculptures will work with fire when the flame is the main focus of the structure -- not his very clever eternal motion pieces. If the flame powers whatever moving parts there will be, it will be black with soot in a few hours.

Unsurprisingly, the page has since been revised, but it was still in Google's cache as of this morning, complete with photo:

antony.png

I don't think he's ever worked with fire before, so I don't see how his kinetic sculptures will work with fire when the flame is the main focus of the structure -- not his very clever eternal motion pieces. If the flame powers whatever moving parts there will be, it will be black with soot in a few hours.

Not necessarily the flame (by convection), but the pressure of the gas making the flame(s)- and if the jets are positioned smartly, there is no need for combustion products from any burner to impinge on the structure.

• Like 1

This looks like it could be something really special - hopefully it won't look too much like London's. Is he doing the port cauldron or the Maracana one - or both?

* I should clarify that I'm not saying London's wasn't a beautiful cauldron - it was - but I'm hoping that it doesn't look too much like it so it doesn't come over as a copy.

Newspaper 'O Globo': 60 heads of state confirm presence at the opening.

The matter of the newspaper deals with the impeachment, but devotes a short note to the opening ceremony.

The newspaper says that 60 heads of state confirm presence at the ceremony is expected 95 heads of state come to Brazil, the expectation is still Barack Obama will come.

• Like 1

Oh no, he's American and the work looks a little crafty.

Are you sure you have the RIGHT person? The original source says Anthony HAwe not Howe. That Hawe might be a Brazilian designer.

Unsurprisingly, the page has since been revised, but it was still in Google's cache as of this morning, complete with photo:

antony.png

Not necessarily the flame (by convection), but the pressure of the gas making the flame(s)- and if the jets are positioned smartly, there is no need for combustion products from any burner to impinge on the structure.

#1 - We've assumed that it's Howe; but the original source says HAwe.

#2 - Nah, anytime with flame, there will be soot. Look at the current torch. Look at the way Salt Lake 2002's cauldron was designed. There was water there injected to constantly clean the glass. The fact that heat and a spark oxidizes oxygen, creates the carbon. It may NOT even be this Anthony Howe designing it.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Are you sure you have the RIGHT person? The original source says Anthony HAwe not Howe. That Hawe might be a Brazilian designer.

#1 - We've assumed that it's Howe; but the original source says HAwe.

#2 - Nah, anytime with flame, there will be soot. Look at the current torch. Look at the way Salt Lake 2002's cauldron was designed. There was water there injected to constantly clean the gas. The fact that heat and a spark oxidizes oxygen, creates the carbon. It may NOT even be this Anthony Howe designing it.

The photo I posted is from the CC2016 website, and formerly accompanied the now-removed "Antony Hawe, Cauldron Designer" caption.

So is the man in that photo the same as the man in this photo?

o.jpg

http://www.yelp.com/biz/anthony-howe-sculptures-eastsound [used as avatar photo for Anthony H's comments]

And I'm not expecting to avoid soot, I'm suggesting that with the right design for a sculpture, soot need not impinge on the structure to a major extent (although the area immediately round the burners will almost inevitably get quite heat-scarred). Or of course, there may be just static flame(s) right at the top of a sculpture which is otherwise driven by the wind.

Anthony Hawe doesn't exist. I could that it isn't a brazilian name but I just remembered that Rio de Janeiro state had a governor named Anthony Garotinho. But google automatically corrects the name to Anthony Howe and the photo of the guy is the same in the CC2016 website.

But, the name of the cauldron designer it's not on CC website now. I think it's too late to change the designer. So, I guess that they dropped out the name because people, like us, could guess how the cauldron will really looks like

361b884f-255d-4c6c-b531-c102109135ea.jpg

Does somebody know what was the fate of this cauldron? It was very nice. It would had been a shame if they scrapped it, tbh.

...that a great question. I still think it looks like it was made with an inexpensive roll of flashing from Home Depot but where the hell is it? Did it get tossed?

3529985.jpg

Edited by paul

It would be a shame if it got tossed/scrapped because it was a very beautiful design. Also they originally planned to make it being held midair in the center by the roof, but the roof back then was too weak to take the weight.

• Like 1