Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

I think London missed a huge opportunity have their cauldron be in the Olympic park during the games. In this day and age, nobody really cares if the cauldron moves in the middle of the night between the opening ceremony and first day of competition, or it could have done a Vancouver and had a second cauldron. The Olympic Park version could have stayed and been used in legacy mode....

In London it was about a mixture of environmental and artistic decisions- small cauldron, therefore artistically interesting to place it in the same relative position as the 1948 Cauldron at Wembley. Similarly, the artistic decision to give the "petals" to all the competing countries as souvenirs meant there wasn't much cauldron left to display in legacy mode (what little remains can be seen at the Museum of London). I have a feeling we'll just have to get used to the Orbit instead.

Given the separation of the OC venue and the Olympic Park in Rio, I think we can expect a Vancouver-like solution- though I'd be happy if Rio went the extra mile in environmental terms by adding electric lighting to a relatively small real flame.

In London it was about a mixture of environmental and artistic decisions- small cauldron, therefore artistically interesting to place it in the same relative position as the 1948 Cauldron at Wembley. Similarly, the artistic decision to give the "petals" to all the competing countries as souvenirs meant there wasn't much cauldron left to display in legacy mode (what little remains can be seen at the Museum of London). I have a feeling we'll just have to get used to the Orbit instead.

Given the separation of the OC venue and the Olympic Park in Rio, I think we can expect a Vancouver-like solution- though I'd be happy if Rio went the extra mile in environmental terms by adding electric lighting to a relatively small real flame.

Becuz nothing else will be going in at the T&F stadium that night, there's no point in doing a lighting there that same night. So, I think OC will end with a lighting at the Maracanabo Stadium. And then maybe on the 1st day of T&F competition, they will have a little run from Maracana to the other stadium to light the other cauldron there. These cauldron issues are soooooooooo problematic for Organizing Committees!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Becuz nothing else will be going in at the T&F stadium that night, there's no point in doing a lighting there that same night. So, I think OC will end with a lighting at the Maracanabo Stadium. And then maybe on the 1st day of T&F competition, they will have a little run from Maracana to the other stadium to light the other cauldron there. These cauldron issues are soooooooooo problematic for Organizing Committees!!

Trouble is, that stadium isn't in the Olympic Park either!

Trouble is, that stadium isn't in the Olympic Park either!

Then, maybe Rio will break tradition and have a cauldron at Olymipc Park instead. (I mean Atlanta didn't have the cauldron at Centennial Park.) But who knows? I'm so over this thing about where the cauldron will be. It will be where it will be. End of story. They just need one for OC and Closing Ceremony. So for sure, there will be one at Maracanabo stadium.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some news about the cauldron:

"In Rio-2016, unlike what happened in most of the Olympic Games, the Olympic cauldron, after burning at the Maracana, will not stay in any sports equipment during the event.

It will be built in the new Orla Mayor Luiz Paulo Conde, recently inaugurated by Eduardo Paes, the stretch near the Candelaria Church."

http://blogs.oglobo.globo.com/ancelmo/post/pira-olimpica-no-centro.html.

• 3 weeks later...

Rio mayor wants Olympic cauldron near revitalized port area

RIO DE JANEIRO - Mayor Eduardo Paes says he wants the Olympic cauldron to burn in Rio de Janeiro's revitalized port area.

The cauldron will be lit at Maracana Stadium during the opening ceremony on Aug. 5, and will spend the night there before traveling to a permanent home.

Mario Andrada, spokesman for the Rio organizing committee, told The Associated Press on Thursday that the cauldron will be placed in the port area, but not in the heart of the renovated port area known as Plaza Maua.

"It will be close to Plaza Maua, but not exactly in Plaza Maua," Andrada said. He said it was likely to be located near the Candelaria Church, which is near the plaza.

"Don't get me into a fight with the mayor," Andrada added.

Paes said he hoped the new plaza would be a center for outdoor entertainment during the games, including performance stages, musical attractions, and large-screen televisions.

"It seems that the Maracana Stadium has limitations," Paes said, adding that moving out of the Maracana "is good because it democratizes the access to the cauldron."

The new plaza and downtown Rio are far from the heart of the games in suburban Barra da Tijuca. It is also an area not usually visited by tourists.

AP

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article74442687.html

Oh, the Port Area? We drove through that part to get to the airport from Copacabana. A very run-down area. I don't see why they should place the Cauldron there. We passed by the warehouses where the Carnaval floats are stored.

Having it atop Sugar Loaf would be very complementary to having El Cristo on the other peak. Or how about having it in the middle of the Bahia?

Hmmmm.

Google Earth's timeline shows that there's an area at the bottom end of the Av. Pres. Vargas, between the Candelaria church and the sea, which has been used as something like a contractors' yard ever since the old elevated highway was demolished. It's a blot on an area which has otherwise been much improved, so with luck it will be transformed by August ...

Oh, the Port Area? We drove through that part to get to the airport from Copacabana. A very run-down area. I don't see why they should place the Cauldron there. We passed by the warehouses where the Carnaval floats are stored.

Having it atop Sugar Loaf would be very complementary to having El Cristo on the other peak. Or how about having it in the middle of the Bahia?

The statue is a Christian symbol. The Olympic flame refers to other gods such as Zeus, Hera, Athena and Apollo. I'm almost sure that some law prohibits the display of any symbol in Corcovado Mountain.

There is no area near the port with enough space as this square. It's the only viable location.

2015_852727014_2015092596293_jpg_2015092
foto_10_600x400.jpg
praca_maua.jpg
praca_maua_81.jpg

This square has become one of the most frequented places in the city since it opened. I took my girlfriend there and she liked so much that we stayed until the evening appreciating the bay. Very nice.

The statue is a Christian symbol. The Olympic flame refers to other gods such as Zeus, Hera, Athena and Apollo. I'm almost sure that some law prohibits the display of any symbol in Corcovado Mountain.

Did I say put it on Corcovado peak? I said Sugar Loaf. <_< You keep twisting my words.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Sorry, there's a post before yours where the Corcovado was mentioned. Don't worry I'm not teasing you :rolleyes:

Sugar Loaf is also not feasible. Most of the highest hill is taken by the station and the outside area is formed by narrow and sloping corridors. Most of the mountain is wood and some animals live there. Definitely not a good place to put a flame. Another problem is the price of the cable ticket. It's so expensive as the ticket for athletics or football. This would end with the purpose of popularizing access to the flame.

Uhhhh.... isn't it a little late for the Mayor to be making demands about the Cauldron? Like he should be able to figure out where it is by now. Politically stupid to come out making demands which are already set in stone.

The OCOG must be loving this. Just gives the impression that they are a bunch of muppets who haven't even settled on such a big piece of planning 100 days out from the opening ceremony.

• Like 1

We didn't know where London's was until a minute before it was lit :lol:

But the planning org knew months before and if the mayor wanted to know something about it such as the location, he knew to ask them. This appears to be the case of a really bad communications manager or something.

We knew Beijing about a week before. :D

To distract us all that Christ the Redeemer is being fitted with a new 75 foot tall model of the Olympic Torch? ;):lol::lol:

On my tour group, the guide always kept saying the Christ's right hand, points south; and I muttered in an incognito way: what if they had the Christ on a revolving platform?? B):ph34r:

That got some laughs from the group. ;)

Every Christmas time, there is a floating Christmas Tree on Lagoa Rodrigo Freitas...

I have always thought that the Olympic cauldron should be put on that site, near Ipanema Beach, which is an elegant, too visited and beautiful place in Rio. This Christmas Tree is one of the largest in the world----

What about a "floating cauldron" this time? One that could get similar characterisctic of the Christmas Tree: near 80 meters tall and iluminated around... Should be a feasible posibility...

CWxawFoWUAA0AnD.jpg

Arvore_de_Natal_Lagoa_Rodrigo_Freitas.jp

• Like 2

So any guess on what the cauldron's design will be? With such a open and public setting, the traditional designs on a stick or bowl on the side of the stadium are out, so what's next? I'm hoping for another art piece like what we got with the London cauldron.

Every Christmas time, there is a floating Christmas Tree on Lagoa Rodrigo Freitas...

I have always thought that the Olympic cauldron should be put on that site, near Ipanema Beach, which is an elegant, too visited and beautiful place in Rio. This Christmas Tree is one of the largest in the world----

What about a "floating cauldron" this time? One that could get similar characterisctic of the Christmas Tree: near 80 meters tall and iluminated around... Should be a feasible posibility...

I actually like this idea.