Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

I still believe that the cauldron will be suspended in the center. The old roof was removed and the new seem to bear a much greater weight.

This idea was already considered and dismiised for Beijing and London:

1. How will a/the ground-based lighter(s) light it? Fireworks or ziplines again? Already tried before.

2. That REMOVES the element of suspense because it will be immediately visible when the audience comes in. It may interfere with the other flying elements of the show.

So, I DON'T think it is going to be suspended in mid-air like that. And u see the bottom of the cup. How exciting is that?

• Like 1

I still believe that the cauldron will be suspended in the center. The old roof was removed and the new seem to bear a much greater weight.

Bezzi, 'xaquieto... Gringaiamala ultimamente...

Just to illustrate what i said

Sem_t_tulo.jpg

Yes, yes, yes. But that is in a drawing.

#1 - The IOC will probably call it impractical. As I said, it was already thought of as early as the Manchester 1996 bid and NEVER really adopted.

#2 - You don't listen do you? Ric Birch, going by his previous work, will NOT go with that. It's TOO OBVIOUS. You will see it right away. If I walked in there and saw it, I would ask for a refund of my ticket. I would be deprived of a surprise that usually comes with an Olympic Opening Ceremony. Haven't you noticed, the MORE successful cauldron moments are when there is an element of surprise. You would have hundreds of patrons just like me, getting up from our seats, going to the box office and demanding our money back! The chaos and disruption would be quite unthinkable.

Also, your drawing cheats. The perspectives aren't really accurate. How will it rise like that?

And you only have TWO people looking at it from the outside! :lol:

Pls get real, Bezzi. <_<

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Haha - now we have the usual "suspended cauldron" discussion again. ;) I guess it's safe to say that in our lifetimes, we'll never see such a cauldron anywhere - at least not if it's supposed to burn for 17 days and not to be a danger to the spectators throughout those 17 days.

Ric Birch won't necessarily make a surprise out of the cauldron's location, though, Baron. In Barcelona 1992 he didn't do that either. And even the lighting method wasn't a surprise since they had the cauldron lighting even in the public dress rehearsal for the opening ceremony, as could be seen in the video posted recently in the ceremonies video thread.

It might be difficult to hide the cauldron and keep it innovative, anyway. We now had already two cauldrons hid in or under the centre of the infield in Vancouver and London, which is probably the only option Rio has for hiding its cauldron, too, since the cauldron most probably will not sit on the roof.

/\/\ Pretty much... or since they've added a number of under-the-field passages to Maracana, they may not even have to build the massive stages used in Vancouver & London, and find space in there from which the cauldron may rise. Again, it doesn't have to be bombastic, but just hidden enuf so there is something that everyone can anticipate.

A temporary ceremonies-only cauldron at Maracana and a permanent Games-time cauldron at Joao Havelange is also a possibility, yes. That would be pretty much the Vancouver approach.

However, I rather expect two permanent cauldrons - one at Maracana and at Joao Havelange. And if they want to let the cauldron rise out of the ground again, they don't necessarily have to do that in the centre of the infield again. If they choose a rather compact cauldron design (just like the sun-shaped cauldron they used for the 2007 Pan American Games), they could also rise it in the middle of one of the stadium's gates. If London's cauldron hadn't needed some space for folding and unfolding, they could have placed it there in that gate at the southern end of the stadium right from the start.

And I'm certain they'll have a cauldron also at Joao Havelange. After the controversy about the location of the London cauldron, they probably won't want to risk another controversy just because there is no Olympic Flame visible during the athletics competition.

Back to Maracana: They could place the cauldron also at the curved ends of the infield, since unlike in an athletics stadium, they don't need that space for a running track respectively for the throwing and jumping events. That would also provide some stunning shots when a football player is shown from behind scoring a goal, with the Olympic Flame burning behind the goal. ;) The only disadvantage is that a cauldron in such a position could block the view of some spectators onto the infield.

. That would also provide some stunning shots when a football player is shown from behind scoring a goal, with the Olympic Flame burning behind the goal. ;) The only disadvantage is that a cauldron in such a position could block the view of some spectators onto the infield.

well, only if they are retaining the cauldron after the OC in Maracana. If I were Birch and Rio, I would move the cauldron or a bigger dupe/facsimile over to Havelange, and just return the Maracana cauldron for Closing. That way, it would not impede the football finals.

rising from underground already used..it will be boring n cliche....maybe,temperory cauldron for opening,and a real one outside(near athelete stadium)

well a cauldron being seen by everyone has already been used. So that is getting boring. Maybe they should skip the cauldron for a few Games...so it's not too boring?? :blink:

well, only if they are retaining the cauldron after the OC in Maracana. If I were Birch and Rio, I would move the cauldron or a bigger dupe/facsimile over to Havelange, and just return the Maracana cauldron for Closing. That way, it would not impede the football finals.

well a cauldron being seen by everyone has already been used. So that is getting boring. Maybe they should skip the cauldron for a few Games...so it's not too boring?? :blink:

..yeah i mean..its in row, 2010,2012.....while a cauldron tower was last used in 2006

..yeah i mean..its in row, 2010,2012.....while a cauldron tower was last used in 2006

Well, the thinking has been more focused since 2006; it has gone "indoors," as you say...because: (1) it is something that will mean more to the 75,000+ people in the stadium than those outside; (2) the days of the huge, extravagant towers are over (i.e., the Org Committees are thinking more economically); and (3) are you actually going to Rio? If not, it shouldn't matter to you where or how it will be shown on the TV screens because you're NOT even going to be there. I don't get this weeping and wailing about the cauldron for people who AREN'T even going to be physically there. :wacko:

OK, Bezzi. At the end of the attached clip, the 2002 Asian Games opening in Busan, Korea, it shows how one cauldron rises to meet one in the air (kinda like your vision); and then it still lights a 3rd cauldron!! At 2:24, the 1st smaller aerial cauldron is somehow already mysteriously lit. Apparently, no ground-based runners were used. And I don't know if the huge, flat starburst thing was first trying to come down and then rise again? (It looks like an edited video.)

But it's over-kill and overly elaborate. There really was no suspense.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

See? It's not impossible if they use a lightweight material. The surprise factor can be achieved in some way. I think this is the best solution for the Maracana. I really hope they not repeat what they did in London.

See? It's not impossible if they use a lightweight material. The surprise factor can be achieved in some way. I think this is the best solution for the Maracana. I really hope they not repeat what they did in London.

But it's already been done there!! :lol:

No; it's NOT impossible...but:

#1 - That ceremony had NO other flying elements. Flying elements are very much de rigeur these days; and especially Maracana will be getting a roof. So that somehow has to be used. (BTW, the "starburst' in that video is actually the symbol of the Olympic Council of Asia -- so there is a special significance to that particular design.)

#2 - That stadium was also the T&F stadium that would be in use for the next week or so. That is why they had to have the 2nd one on the side because the floating "starburst" came down AFTER the ceremony.

It's pointless to have one like that at Maracana because no visitors will be hanging around an empty venue for the next 13 days. So, to set up a rather flimsy middle-of-the-air contraption (like what you envision) seems like so much trouble for very little payback afterwards.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

And those two aerial cauldrons in Busan obviously weren't "fuelled" via gas pipe but they had probably a gas cartridge inside respectively (as it was the case for the big "starburst" Asian Games symbol) additionally had pyrotechnics on it. But you can't do that with a cauldron that has to burn for 17 days - a gas cartridge doesn't last long. So the only solution would be to connect gas pipes to such a suspended cauldron. And that is simply totally unsafe and therefore won't happen.