Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

I don´t know if Rio 2016 has some plan to build a tower near the Maracana Stadium, but could be an option... How they did during the Pan 2007?!

Thete's not much good space outside the stadium for a cauldron tower that could (authentically) be lit from inside Maracana and be visible by a large number of people. During the PanAms, the cauldron was a fireball sculpture seated on a pedestal on the floor of the stadium with a waterfall behind it. Yes, I was expecting them to pull a Sydney but the thing wouldn't budge and there it was on the floor.

I don´t know if Rio 2016 has some plan to build a tower near the Maracana Stadium, but could be an option... How they did during the Pan 2007?!
Thete's not much good space outside the stadium for a cauldron tower that could (authentically) be lit from inside Maracana and be visible by a large number of people. During the PanAms, the cauldron was a fireball sculpture seated on a pedestal on the floor of the stadium with a waterfall behind it. Yes, I was expecting them to pull a Sydney but the thing wouldn't budge and there it was on the floor.

There was a plan originally to destroy the swimming pool and the track and field stadium, but after some (reasonable) arguments, it was decided that those were unecessary, specially for the post-Olympic period. And there is not much space in the neighborhood to build a tower like London did (unless something goes down, which honestly I really don´t believe it will happen).

And it was heard somewhere that the 2007 cauldron was supposed to be on the top of the stadium, but they couldn´t find a way to put it up and keep it on the top. So that is why the cauldron looked so odd in the end.

Perhaps.... perhaps we might see the Opening Ceremony take place at TWO venues... despite the fact that Maracana has been labelled the Ceremony venue. I understand that capacity issues have seen Havelange selected over the former, but I had a thought - what if they both play a big role... with tickets available to both venues for their respective parts.

We might see Maracana play host to an immensely intricate creative section - then a cross over to Havelange for the Parade of Nations and all formalities. Then back to Maracana for more creative segments, before back to Havelange for the Cauldron. Just a thought... it could be a way of upping the getting more profit (150,000+ opening ceremony tickets???) and maintaining a traditional ceremony in tandem with a technologically extreme ceremony at Maracana. Obviously high quality screens (like London) would relay footage between the two venues, and they would never overlap, but rather compliment each other. Food for thought...

It's a concept that could be adopted by Istanbul, too. Even London 2012 could have done it. Have the Danny Boyle spectacular at Wembley, and all formalities at the Olympic Stadium.

It would be extremely anti-climatic to stage the opening ceremony (or any ceremony) in two stadia. The audience in the one stadium gets a big show, but never sees the athletes in flesh - and the other audience only gets the traditional ceremonial without the actually more interesting artistic parts.

It won't happen.

That whole two-stadia Opening Ceremony was already killed when Chicago 2016 tried to propose that in their bid. And that was going to be between 2 stadia next door to each other...where the athletes assembled in one and then they just marched to the other. The USOC immediately shut down the rather untenable idea.

Such a concept dissipates the energy that builds up in one bowl-like setting...not to mention, double the staff, logistics, security, etc. Then there is also the issue of mass confusion amongst thousands of ticket-holders who think they're going to one stadium when their ticket is really for the other one. Chaos. And how would the IOC body divide themselves for such a thing?

Not to mention, it will be very confusing to the int'l TV viewer with the inter-cutting between 2 venues. Am I in Havelange? Oh wait, they just changed it to the other one? No, wait...weren't we just at the other one? Fuggedabot it!! It's too crazy!!

Not going to happen.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

I may be the only one who didn't like the 2007 cauldron. It was a bit too.....fussy looking (in the London 2012 category). I expect Rio to rise to the occation of their cauldron design moment, and I expect a lot. I'm dreaming of an amazing moment in the amazing city who won everything. Now I just hope some other venues are amazing like Maracana.

I may be the only one who didn't like the 2007 cauldron. It was a bit too.....fussy looking (in the London 2012 category). I expect Rio to rise to the occation of their cauldron design moment, and I expect a lot. I'm dreaming of an amazing moment in the amazing city who won everything. Now I just hope some other venues are amazing like Maracana.

That was then; 2016 is 4 years away. But the problem for the 2016 cauldron is that Maracana will still be heavily roofed, so again, that really narrows the options of how and where a cauldron will appear if only for the Opening Ceremony (since it will probably be moved to the Havelange for the T&F events).

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Do you have any information on this?

No. I'm just guessing...because what good will it do at the Maracana if there are NO events there other than the Opening & the final weekend of the football finals & Closing? No one else will see it. That's what I would do because I think the fuel alone will be a complete waste.

^^London hided their cauldron for one week...

I still believe in some tower/structure near the stadium...

It wasn't one week. It was like 4 or 5 days but T&F were returning to the same stadium and it was seen for the next 11 days, until the end. :blink:

But look at the new roof of the Maracana. How can anybody there see it during the ceremony? And M is a few miles from Havelange, right? So it has not meaning for spectators at the Havelange. How will they see it?

I don't see the practicality of your point.

Edited by baron-pierreIV