Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

The busiest thread of the whole London 2012 forum should get a successor. Here it is - any may it bloom to 300+ pages like its predecessor. ;)

For there are interesting questions to be discussed - most importantly: How will Rio solve the problem of staging the opening ceremony and the athletic events in two different stadia that are 6.7 kilometres apart?

And: Will Rio try to be extremely creative (like Thomas Heatherwick for London's cauldron) or rather try to be extremely spectacular and/or gigantic?

In the London 2012 cauldron thread, HJPro betted that Rio will build a cauldron tower. I don't believe in that, I rather expect a tower in Sochi - so that Rio might not want to have another tower just two years later. Additionally, both the Maracana and the Joao Havelange stadia are located in densely populated areas with no big empty areas near the stadia. So there's hardly any space for a cauldron tower.

I would bet in London similar thing...

And for the rage of many here, the cauldron will only visible inside the stadium in football matches.

Is Havelange being renovated for the Games? If it is, do we have finalized plans and renders available? We can start to guess where a possible second cauldron there could be placed...

Don't expect much of Engenhão (people now is avoiding to use Havelange and is using the nickname of the Stadium, since it's located in Engenho de Dentro neighbourhood).

They need to finish the second tier behind the goals and the will be not much space to place the cauldron there...

I bet in cauldron only in Maracana... Maybe the tower-thing would work.

• Like 1

If there's only one cauldron and it's at Maracana and only visible inside the stadium, then it will only be seen during a few football matches.

I'm betting on at least one tall cauldron. I don't generally like the multi-cauldron approach, but if anyone is going to do it, I can see Rio going for it.

After London, I doubt we'll see another short cauldron. I certainly hope not anyway.

Rio will be TOTALLY, TOTALLY different. They will build an underground cavern where the first underground Olymipc cauldron can be seen by all who visit the cave! :lol:

Since we can charge for admissions, I have no objection... :P

But, thinking better, this would fit better some Olympics in Chile, right? :D

Just put a torch in Christo Redentor's hands, then everyone in Rio can see it.

I'm sure Islamic countries would boycott the games...

Again a location for the cauldron is a matter for the Olympics organisers. Maybe they could go for a portable cauldron. Place one at the stadium for the ceremony and transfer it to the althetic stadium? I'm sure it's a requirement that the cauldron must be seen by the people who attend ceremonies.

In the London 2012 cauldron thread, HJPro betted that Rio will build a cauldron tower. I don't believe in that, I rather expect a tower in Sochi - so that Rio might not want to have another tower just two years later. Additionally, both the Maracana and the Joao Havelange stadia are located in densely populated areas with no big empty areas near the stadia. So there's hardly any space for a cauldron tower.

God I forgot about Sochi! Haha, I think they're doing a tower from the designs of their stadium, but I still think rip will go for a tower

I remember when I visited Rio, I went to the Maracana Stadium and from there you can easily see the Corcovado. It definitely dominates the view of all Rio and you can see it from anywhere in the city. Maybe they can place the cauldron up there. So, people will be able to see the olympic flame from any spot in Rio. With good technology they will just find a good way to light it.

I remember when I visited Rio, I went to the Maracana Stadium and from there you can easily see the Corcovado. It definitely dominates the view of all Rio and you can see it from anywhere in the city. Maybe they can place the cauldron up there. So, people will be able to see the olympic flame from any spot in Rio. With good technology they will just find a good way to light it.

They could use corcovado while lightining the caldron (maybe the flame will came from there), but not exactly put the caldron up there. I don't know, either way, the discussion about the 2016 caldron shpuld be even more interesting than the one we had about london's.

They could use corcovado while lightining the caldron (maybe the flame will came from there), but not exactly put the caldron up there. I don't know, either way, the discussion about the 2016 caldron shpuld be even more interesting than the one we had about london's.

Only problem with that scenario is that there's this chunk of Tijuca Forest between Maracanã and Christ the Redeemer, so some sparks from a fire wire will make Rio the olympic cauldron itself. :lol:

Well the rio performance was... interesting, especially the black man in the white suit, he made me fall off my chair in laughter. I'm looking forward to what will be a crazy games in both atmosphere and organisation! Bring on Rio!