Your verdict on the London 2012 Games

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, we have only about 32 hours of these Games of the XXX Olympiad left. I guess we can rate these Games now. First of all, I want to mention the audience - it seemed to be very sportsmanlike, very e

Oh come now, Adrian's hyperbole is hardly representitive is it? Why let it get to you or colour your opinion? Considering most Brits here recently responded to Blacksheep's arrogance about London 20

Well I was there, and I have several remarks to make about some small, yet significant, details: Security was minimal. Genially minimal. It was done thoroughly and properly, but unlike some huge e

Although the ceremonies were crap.

I must be one of the few that thinks the iconic sites, packed streets, historical venues, Olympic Park and so forth, always made London "grander" than Beijing.

For me, whereas previous Olympic Games have always tried to outdo each other in grandiosity and lavishness, I felt London reset the button. It didn't try to compete; it tried to be different, and it was. If it made my French contacts buy a couple of Eurostar tickets for a long weekend, I think it wasn't a failure! But rather than being a grandiose, pious, symbolic gesture-filled two weeks of primetime-filling chest-beating competition that some cynics level at the Olympics, it was more like having the biggest, maddest, fun-filled international jamboree in your grandma's kitchen. And for that reason I think when people look back on previous Games in years to come, they will say Beijing might have been the biggest, Athens might have been the most stylish, and Barcelona was the benchmark that all others after set, but London was the most fun. And for that it was a triumph.

Very well said.

By the way, I think your English is excellent. Are you a native German? And where do you know the European Parliament from - do you work there?

I could do no more than shake every single military hand as I passed. I'm not sure if that was for all venues, but for ours (Greenwich Park), it was pretty impressive, and the most special memory I'll take home from the experience.

Yeh, they were (and will be at the Paralympics) fantastic.

I noticed that both times I left the Olympic Park (Stratford Gate) there were always 2 soldiers at the final gate wishing you goodbye. Give a great feeling of being secure.

• Like 1

Nothing to add...

Very well said - my experience "London 2012" was not just about the change of my approach toward Olympic Games (comparable to my experience in Düsseldorf, when I saw the Eurovision Song Contest in person), but it was more about my "affinity" toward London and its people...

I wish London that the people get a place, where they can remember these 16 days - there is nearly nothing left of the sites of 1908 and 1948 - I suppose a lot will change in the Olympic Park in the next years (the non-permanent venues will dissappear resp. some venues will be downsized) - the Orbit is not really something what should remain only of the 16 days...

And I hope something will remain of the friendliness - I mean there will be always tourists in London, who needs help - I am sure that there will be Londoners in future, who will help these tourists - the volunteers have changed the city...

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

Boy, I'm so looking forward meeting those Gamesmakers in person! Only nine days left until I fly to London - and even if I probably won't visit any Paralympic venues (as I had to learn, also the day passes for the Olympic Park are sold out, sadly) I suppose I'll see the volunteers also in other parts of the city. I'm also curious whether the Paralympics will get the Londoners in the same "chatting mode" as the Olympics did.

Very well said.

By the way, I think your English is excellent. Are you a native German? And where do you know the European Parliament from - do you work there?

Oh well thank you very much :)

I'm glad that's the case, because that's my job - I give English language training to European civil servants, the best job I've ever had, or maybe will ever have :lol:

Not because of privileges - the EU doesn't involve itself in those any more, especially as I am independent, but because I get paid for doing something that I'd do as a hobby! Doing what I do, I sometimes want to throw bricks at the English speakers on here who make basic mistakes with spelling and punctuation, but I suppose I'm too polite......

But I'll let you into a secret - I was born only 20 minutes' drive from Greenwich Park, in Orpington, but I live in Germany. I don't really go there much any more.

Anyhow, one last thought, now I've sat back a little:

Does anyone have those places/times, either tangible or non-tangible, which they feel is their "default setting", when they are in their element, so to say? Something you look forward to, because you're more "you" than at any other time?

You know, being in your favourite pub with your favourite friends, or a specific place to sit in a museum, library or place of worship, or your favourite chair watching your favourite TV show, or a favourite walking route in the country? Or maybe it's going to your favourite holiday destination? Well I have a couple. One is watching my favourite band once a year in the Malostranska Beseda in Prague, and one is being in the classroom doing my job.

But now I have a third, and one that will never be repeated: sitting on a deckchair in Greenwich Park watching the athletics/diving/show jumping/closing ceremony, whatever. And as I lie in bed every morning still in that grey-blue state between dreaming and being awake, I still have that little blip of excitement that today I'm going back to Greenwich Park. And then reality descends and I find myself at home in bed. There is an upside - I'm not alone in that bed! :D

So you have British parents and learned English as second native language?

My "default setting" places, although non-Olympic, are probably the beach of Mallorca's Cap Formentor, sitting in the sand below those pinetrees and usually all places I call home (including my childhood home where my parents still live) and where I meet friends with whom I can be "me", without having to play any role.

But we rather shouldn't digress... Back on topic, I can understand it very well that one as a visitor has "phantom pain" now that the Games are over. Even I as TV viewer have such pain, although luckily, I'm not sad anymore like I was on Monday last week, day 1 after the Games. But somehow these Games made me hungry for more and I find it disappointing that next year will be another bland non-Olympic year. And the prospect of Sochi 2014 doesn't thrill me much either...

So you have British parents and learned English as second native language?

My "default setting" places, although non-Olympic, are probably the beach of Mallorca's Cap Formentor, sitting in the sand below those pinetrees and usually all places I call home (including my childhood home where my parents still live) and where I meet friends with whom I can be "me", without having to play any role.

But we rather shouldn't digress... Back on topic, I can understand it very well that one as a visitor has "phantom pain" now that the Games are over. Even I as TV viewer have such pain, although luckily, I'm not sad anymore like I was on Monday last week, day 1 after the Games. But somehow these Games made me hungry for more and I find it disappointing that next year will be another bland non-Olympic year. And the prospect of Sochi 2014 doesn't thrill me much either...

Nope, I've only lived in Germany for four years, and my native language is English B)

Prior to that I was near Brussels in Hellgium (sorry, Belgium!) for seven looooong years. :ph34r:

Anyway yes, back on topic:

Yes, Sochi fills me with a little angst too... I could imagine it will be even more lavish than their Eurovision hosting or their Champions League Final. It's maybe not politically correct to say, but when an ordinary person comes into a bit of money, it doesn't mean they'll spend it on tasteful stuff. Some just can't handle wealth.

But let's judge in 2014, eh? There were many posters gloomy about London before, but how wrong they turned out to be!

But I'll let you into a secret - I was born only 20 minutes' drive from Greenwich Park, in Orpington, but I live in Germany. I don't really go there much any more.

Oh you should, we've got a Tescos now don't ya know. :rolleyes:

Oh you should, we've got a Tescos now don't ya know. :rolleyes:

Well that's *really* made my mind up - I'll be staying right here :P Call me a snob but I was always a Waitrose kinda shopper.

Thinking about shopping outlets though, another unforgettable memory from London: in the M&S restaurant next to the Olympic Park, I ate a Yorkish Pasty at least twice in three days. I think, apart from some very intimate moments, it was the best thing I've ever put in my mouth!!!!!!

Rols and I loved/love the chocolate deserts from M&S, which we bought at the Cutty Sark!

And the pub food in 'The Spanish Galleon' (very close to the Greenwich Park) was great, too - and the 'Spitfire' beer was great, too (although it could have been some degrees cooler).

I will be in October in London again for some days and I will definitely go to Greenwich again!

My verdict.

Atmosphere (as came across on tv): 7

Design: 4

Venues: 7

Sport: 8

Audience: 8

Logistics: 7

Overall Impression: 6

The fact it was in London: -2

Overall Score: 6.5

A fun time was had by all. But it does not top Sydney for me and slots in as my number 5 favourite games behind Sydney, Salt Lake City, Athens and Vancouver.

My verdict.

Atmosphere (as came across on tv): 7

Design: 4

Venues: 7

Sport: 8

Audience: 8

Logistics: 7

Overall Impression: 6

The fact it was in London: -2

Overall Score: 6.5

A fun time was had by all. But it does not top Sydney for me and slots in as my number 5 favourite games behind Sydney, Salt Lake City, Athens and Vancouver.

Lol...you're an extremely harsh judge. Overall impression and overall score less than 7, and what's the -2 for being in London?? :(:)

Edited by Mainad

Lol...you're an extremely harsh judge. Overall impression and overall score less than 7, and what's the -2 for being in London?? :(:)

(Whisper it quietly Mainad, but from the look of the photo on the avatar, I think it's a Paris fan.... ;))

(Whisper it quietly Mainad, but from the look of the photo on the avatar, I think it's a Paris fan.... ;))

Faster always was a Paris fan. No secret about that and absolutely nothing wrong with it either. I'm just curious why he automatically deducted 2 points from his score just because the games were in London!

At least you laughed, the first part was a joke, the second was not.

At least you laughed, the first part was a joke, the second was not.

You mean Paris would have scored higher just because it was Paris? ;)

Yes.

J'adore beaucoup Paris

Truthfully:

London has a great games, but they still left me with the same feeling as Vancouver. That I had had better, London's case Sydney, Vancouver's; Salt Lake. London benefited from an outstanding athletic display across the board and the British crowds were fantastic for the most part. But I am just not an Anglophile, English/British culture does not interest me. When I think of the UK I think more nature, forests, lakes, moors. The natural setting of Britain is what interests me. So London was just meh for me. Having been there it is a nice enough city, but not one that captivates or interests me.

Edited by faster

Yes.

J'adore beaucoup Paris

Truthfully:

London has a great games, but they still left me with the same feeling as Vancouver. That I had had better, London's case Sydney, Vancouver's; Salt Lake. London benefited from an outstanding athletic display across the board and the British crowds were fantastic for the most part. But I am just not an Anglophile, English/British culture does not interest me. When I think of the UK I think more nature, forests, lakes, moors. The natural setting of Britain is what interests me. So London was just meh for me. Having been there it is a nice enough city, but not one that captivates or interests me.

Ok, fair enough. But maybe it means you can't be entirely objective about anything that takes place in the UK? ;)

Martin, please let me show you some decent British beer next time you are in Manchester. Spitfire is really quite lame, in my opinion. Unfortunately, most of the popular beers in the UK are generally not the best. I will take you to a micro-brewery here in Manchester next time you are over.

Edited by Lee
  • Like 1

... I can't recall the name of the beer, which we had with D. in Briton's Protection in Manchester...

I think Spitfire wasn't too bad, it looked a little bit like red moor water - and the "Spanish Galleon" had a problem with the cooler one day and it was definitely too warm (therefore we stopped after one beer)

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius
  • Like 1

Those types of beers(ales) are generally served at lower temperatures. Don't worry, I can show you plenty of examples of better beers served at decent temperatures. Badger ales are really nice. I paricularly like one called "Golden Glory". It has a lovely peachy taste. I also have to introduce you to Marble beers - a northern delicacy. I can't remember the name of the beer in Britons protection either, sorry.

Edited by Lee