Sign in to follow this  
Olympian2004

Your verdict on the London 2012 Games

Awesome games! Best games on par with Sydney. Great city, great hosts and great atmosphere. I'd wonder what will Jacques Rogge say in tonight's Closing Ceremony as he promised he'll never use the term "Best Olympic Games Ever" like the late Samaranch (Mr Sydney).

I think he'll most likely echo the Games' slogan - "inspirational" will probably be the adjective he uses.

he promised he'll never use the term "Best Olympic Games Ever" like the late Samaranch (Mr Sydney).

You never know, it's his last Olympics so he may want to end on a high ;)

I expect London will host the best Paralympics ever -- without a doubt. I absolutely believe the public support and interest will far eclipse all previous hosts.

However, that is not likely to win them the opportunity to host again in 20 years time....

As for comparisons to Beijing, I hated the whole idea of making such arguments from the very beginning. I can acknowledge that following such splendid grandeur was not an enviable task. I think you'll find that many posters on these boards (including myself) never wrote a single post predicting London would pale in comparison to Beijing.

These Games were different from Beijing. Some things were better (legacy, transparency, warmth). Some were worse (ceremonies, venues, wow factor). Some were totally equal (operations, public interest, security).

The reality is that London did not blow Beijing out of the water. No one would have. London staged very successful, credible Games. Isn't that enough?

If it isn't, one has to ask why.....

Sydney's main newspaper has just come out saying that London has overtaken Sydney as "the best games ever"

High praise indeed

On my rankings of games I have seriously followed in my lifetime

1/ London

2/ Sydney

3/ Barcelona

4/ Beijing

5/ Athens

6/ Atlanta

Sydney's main newspaper has just come out saying that London has overtaken Sydney as "the best games ever"

Great praise indeed.

The Metro is reporting that the Mayor of Rio has called London 2012 the greatest games ever.

http://www.metro.co.uk/olympics/908192-rio-de-janeiros-mayor-london-2012-has-been-greatest-olympics-ever

Soureverting a few souls are reverting to Samaranch silliness.

Something very weird happened there.......

Sounds like a few souls are reverting to Samaranch silliness.

As for comparisons to Beijing, I hated the whole idea of making such arguments from the very beginning. I can acknowledge that following such splendid grandeur was not an enviable task. I think you'll find that many posters on these boards (including myself) never wrote a single post predicting London would pale in comparison to Beijing.

These Games were different from Beijing. Some things were better (legacy, transparency, warmth). Some were worse (ceremonies, venues, wow factor). Some were totally equal (operations, public interest, security).

The reality is that London did not blow Beijing out of the water. No one would have. London staged very successful, credible Games. Isn't that enough?

If it isn't, one has to ask why.....

I completely agree. The success of London does not in any way diminish the success of Beijing or any previous host. Each Olympic Games is unique and special to the host city which produced it. Of course, we all have our personal favourites but no-one can say objectively that this Games was greater than that Games or which of these Games was the 'greatest ever' whatever the heck that's supposed to mean. I really dislike these p***ing contests. They are so unnecessary and childish! <_<

IMHO, Sydney staged the greatest Olympics of 2000, Athens staged the greatest Olympics of 2004, Beijing staged the greatest Olympics of 2008 and London staged the greatest Olympics of 2012. I have no doubt Rio de Janeiro will stage the greatest Olympics of 2016!

Just enjoy each Olympics as it comes along and try and appreciate the uniqueness and special character of each one. That's my take on all this.

• Like 4

I completely agree. The success of London does not in any way diminish the success of Beijing or any previous host. Each Olympic Games is unique and special to the host city which produced it. Of course, we all have our personal favourites but no-one can say objectively that this Games was greater than that Games or which of these Games was the 'greatest ever' whatever the heck that's supposed to mean. I really dislike these p***ing contests. They are so unnecessary and childish! <_<

IMHO, Sydney staged the greatest Olympics of 2000, Athens staged the greatest Olympics of 2004, Beijing staged the greatest Olympics of 2008 and London staged the greatest Olympics of 2012. I have no doubt Rio de Janeiro will stage the greatest Olympics of 2016!

Just enjoy each Olympics as it comes along and try and appreciate the uniqueness and special character of each one. That's my take on all this.

Thank you Mainad!!! My thoughts exactly!

The criteria for rating and comparing are completely subjective. Back in the 60s or 70s, i don't remember cities fighting about which was the best at hosting the Olympics. Perhaps everything started when Samaranch had that stupid idea of calling every olympics (with the exception of Atlanta) "the best ever"...

The Brits should be proud of their Olympics, they deserve it! It’s good to see how happy they are. End of story!!

• Like 1

I have had a fantastic time

I always believed London should be able to put on the best Olympics ever so have we done it ,

My feelings are

From a British point of view defiantly

But From an International point of view probably yes but with reservation.

It was incredible and London delivered much that was unprecedented

Like The Athletics stadium full to capacity all day this alone should make London eligible for best Olympics but did them stadium design have that lustre,

The cycle road road races were also superb( it was great getting up in the morning after the opening ceremony to see one of the first events Starting in London.

And the triathlons were sublime in Hyd park and for free (could have stayed there all night it was so nice.

The atmosphere out side Buckighamempalace during the walk races was just incredible, and with the sun beeting down who could ask for more.

But I thought the marathon rout could have been better, the Strand wasn’t used while every one tried to crush on to the embankment, this wasn’t the bid rout which was much better, I really enjoyed watching them though from st Paul’s and the riverside (even in the rain for the womens)

The Olympic park was a stunner but areas just outs side remained neglected( to much left to legacy)

But that’s me as a Londoner nosing about.

Exhibitions like the African village were superb but closed before the end of the games

Sochi Park was also great but It seemed to get less trade by the Albert mamorial than the Brazil exhibition in sumerset house.

Over all it was excellent though and I enjoyed every minute roll on the paralymocs I cant wait to get back in the Olympic park ( the best way to get there is along the regents canal from Islington and into Victoria park. I thought the javelin station (which I also used)could have been dressed up.

Every one should go up the Orbit that was a sensation

To surmise I think it was incredible and could have been even more so and I think the Ioc will be desperate to bring the games back to the UK.

form a British sporting point of view it was just out of this world, every one will wont bottles of Thames water.to take away.

Now that all sports events have finished, the sadness approaches for me. These were such packed two weeks, full of great sports, great people, great pictures - and as always, these two weeks totally flew by. For such a strongly anticipated and huge sports event, 17 days are simply too short.

While the UEFA EURO is expanded to probably four weeks in order to accomodate 24 teams in just one sport, the Olympic Games stay at almost the same length they had already 80 years ago in Los Angeles - although since then, the number of medal events has almost tripled and the number of participating athletes is eight times higher now.

Actually it's anachronistic and I think it would hurt no one if these Games took one or two weeks longer and the Paralympics were postponed accordingly. OK, it wouldn't hurt anyone besides those Londoners who maybe want to do their normal business again and use public transport as they did before the Games. ;)

But we'll have to accept it and therefore it will always stay the same heartbreaking fact that seven or actually more years of preparation lead into an event that passes so quickly, like a gust of wind.

Thank God that they have invented the Paralympics, so the sorrow is a little bit milder now. And thank God I'll be in London during the first Paralympic weekend - for after these Games, I'm looking very much forward to see this city again, for the first time in 17 years.

Have to say, that even though I'm thousands of kilometers away, I'm feeling a little sad today...just like I did on Monday, March 1, 2010 when I woke up to empty quiet streets and a burned out cauldron.

Thank you, London!

Enjoy the Closing Ceremony.

With all respect to London and UK... I hope we can have lots of new places before repeating the same-olds (LA, London, Paris, Tokyo) again...

I think even Europe have its new frontiers...

Turkey, Portugal, Czech Republic, Balcans...

With the exception of Turkey (which is really borderline Europe, anyway), Portugal, the Czech Republic & anywhere in the Balkans, R too small to host a 21st century Olympic Games.

I for one, (N I'm sure so do others, as well as the IOC, too), wouldn't have a problem with a couple of repeat hosts, like Paris, Tokyo N maybe Los Angeles. These R truly global cities that still can invigorate the imagination & would be a glamorous setting for an Olympic Games, especially Paris.

London I would agree with since they've just hosted their 3rd Olympic Games, the 1st city to ever accomplish such a feat. So they're done for quite a long, long time. But Paris OTOH, that it'll be at least a century since they last hosted, I would have no qualms whatsoever over a 3rd Paris Olympics!

It's been interesting to read how these Olympics have been perceived outside these islands that I'm even more proud to be a citizen of now than I ever have been. At the same time, though, I don't really care. We pulled it off, as Beijing did before us, Athens did before them, Sydney before them and so on and, as I'm quite sure Rio will do in four years' time. When I wrote from Glasgow the night before the opening ceremony, I said welcome to Britain and have a ball. I hope you have guys. I really hope you have.

I enjoyed every split second of that closing ceremony

sad to see the flame go out , but that show was everything any one could have possibly hoped for from a London 2012 ceremony And the best show at any Olympics ever.

+

The venues were fantastic.

The city look beautiful, all the sports were outdoors sports were done well to show the best parts of London.

The records, the exciting games, the wonderful moments in aquatics & athletics.

The crowd on all the outdoors sports cheering!

Some really important people in the UK willing to participate to make this great

The good showing from UK athletes in front of the public

+/-

The opening ceremony was good but not my cup of tea for some parts

The public was great, especially when people from UK was involved but i disliked the booeing i witness sometimes when a player or a team was against the UK.

The closing ceremony was mostly a concert but good

-

You will realize of course the extreme majority of this isn't the fault of London's 2012 comittee, it was just unluckly for them to happen but it's still a part of the games.

The empty seats.

The obivous unfairness to some athletes and the terrible terrible judging in some sport.

The fact that people excluded from the games were all out of the so-called 'Occident/West' and that some athletes who did almost the same cheating from it were sometimes very close to olympic gold

The fact than some people bought tickets rightfully ages ago to learn one in London that their tickets had been cancelled and sold again (that's the major setback for london i think, this is just unbelievable)

The terrible TV coverage in France :D old guys with stupid things to say instead of showing sport & and the fact that every GB's team athletes was named 'anglais' even when they were scotish or welsh lol

Overall i would gave it 6 out of 10, but before you say this is a bad mark, i gave 6.5 to Bejing, 5.5 to Athens & 5 to Atlanta & 7 for Sydney.

It was really a good olympiad :)

The terrible TV coverage in France :D old guys with stupid things to say instead of showing sport & and the fact that every GB's team athletes was named 'anglais' even when they were scotish or welsh lol

Overall i would gave it 6 out of 10, but before you say this is a bad mark, i gave 6.5 to Bejing, 5.5 to Athens & 5 to Atlanta & 7 for Sydney.

It was really a good olympiad :)

Well, French TV coverage was hardly the fault of LOCOG...lol! So I think you should upgrade us to a 6.5 at least! ;)

Edited by Mainad

I want to comment here, but I still have to watch the closing ceremonies on the replay. Got home from work and just caught the tail-end. I'll post my thoughts later or tomorrow.

"Happy and Glorious Games," as Rogge put it. It was a summer version of Vancouver.

Well done London!

Well, French TV coverage was hardly the fault of LOCOG...lol! So I think you should upgrade us to a 6.5 at least! ;)

Yes of course, this wasn't even in contention with the mark :D

I switched so many times to live streaming on the french website without comments & to the belgian channels.

I know you couldn't care less but what was probably the most talked about thing in France in newspapers & on facebook & twitter about those games was how bad our coverage of it was.

The commentators and the channels were so direspectful to so many athletes, we almost NEVER saw a final where a french athletes wasn't & very few medal ceremony without a french.

When a favorite failed, they never mentioned it in almost every sport, they barely tOLD all the great stories i have read everywhere else about some atheletes.

They all are old (over 57 years old average!), misogynist, racist, talkative, chauvinist. They spoke for hours when Judo, Swimming, and all sports finals were going on live without showing them as they was no french in them.

One commentator asked a girl who just won silver in aquatics how she felt given that her mother had died a few months ago! she was so happy and bang! People were so disguted by this!

And after thousand of complaints from people by mail or email, all their leader, the most stupid man alive, Daniel Bilalian, could answer was ' But they can watch all the sport on internet, and if people weren't happy with our coverage we wouldn't do a good rating'

As if people were going to stop watching such an event because of bad coverage I really felt for anyone not living close to a border to have another channel from abroad or who don't have internet.

But i guess you shouldn't expect anything from a group of people that buy basket, volley & Handball worldcup & euro, don't show them despite having 5 channels in France , only the final sometimes and afterwards say 'we show you the final, spectators are never happy even when we try to please them" :D :D :D

Well i know you don't care but i just need to say this lol! I can't really believe that after such great games my more distintive memory is how bad the french commentators were!

As someone who has been around on these Forums longer than most(geez...I remember this place as torontosummergames.com!),I thought I might give my view on what has happened in the last 2 weeks.

I was born in Sydney,I was raised in Sydney,and as a Sydneysider,I experienced the greatest games of all.

In Athens 2004,the Olympic movement went back to its roots.Unfortunatley,we were treated to a terrible games highlighted by empty venues and when they did decide to turn up,we had the fiasco such as the 200m Track Final.

Beijing 2008 was as plastic as they come.A political pawn used by the Chinese govenrment to demonstate how good they think they are.

London 2012....

Bravo!!!...You have done it!

Great passionate crowds,festive atmosphere and fantastic sports.

While Australia didnt do as well as we hope,it didnt matter.

The Greatest Games in the History of the Olympic Movement.

London 2012.

Be proud!!

Sign in to follow this