Your verdict on the London 2012 Games

So, we have only about 32 hours of these Games of the XXX Olympiad left. I guess we can rate these Games now.

First of all, I want to mention the audience - it seemed to be very sportsmanlike, very enthusiastic, very fond of sports. I will never forget how the audience even cheered for Germany's equestrian team when it won the gold medal in eventing, although that meant that their home team had lost gold. I think that they deserve an award for that, just like it has been awarded to the equally fair spectators at the Stuttgart 1993 World Championships and the Munich 2002 European Championships in athletics.

The venues were excellent and I loved London's approach of incorporating the Games fully into the host city, especially with staging the cycling, race-walking and marathon events in the heart of the city. No other host city can offer an equally glamourous tennis venue, hardly any other host can offer such a stunning venue for the equestrian events right in the middle of the city, and the transformation done in the Olympic Park deserves a gold medal of its own.

Even the weather was mostly pleasant, despite all the fears beforehand that those could be "rain Games".

The organisation was highly professional and smooth (at least judging by what I saw, heard and read in the media), although with flaws once in a while (as we could see just last night at the women's hammer throw competition). But hey, every Games so far had those, so who can blame London?

The ceremonial (as far as we know it at this point) was very decent, I liked the opening ceremony and found it very entertaining and truly British. It was not the best ever, but it was a good kick-off with a very charming amount of (also self-deprecative) humour. That humourous approach of not taking oneself and the ceremony too seriously should really be a role model for future ceremonies. Although one might say that they could have composed new music for the medal ceremonies, I say that "Chariots of Fire" was a logical choice due to its strong connections to British sport and its inspiring, truly Olympic melody. So it's good that previous hosts didn't have that idea already and left it for London. ;)

The competition was exciting as always, with many memorable moments and truly exceptional performances. That said, I don't trust in the fact that no medallist has been found guilty of doping so far. I think that it's dangerously easy to say now "See? Already in Vancouver we had hardly any positive doping tests. So the doping tests work." Instead, I get the increasing sensation that the athletes are simply becoming more clever in disguising doping or choosing the "right" drugs which can't be found yet by the testers.

So all in all, I'd say that these were very, very good Games - but not the best ever. I can't say why, but the London Games still lacked that "je ne sais quoi" of Barcelona and Sydney. I would most likely compare them to the Vancouver Games which were also characterised by an enthusiastic and very gracious audience and a great surrounding for the athletes. Just like Vancouver wasn't a second Lillehammer, London is no second Barcelona or Sydney. But: They were a wonderful relief after two Summer Games overshadowed by shaky preparations and the feeling that a small country is overstraining itself (Athens 2004) or overshadowed by political controversy and the stale feeling of over-perfection (Beijing 2008).

London 2012 were very humane, fair and charming Games. The Brits did themselves proud - and I would love to see the Olympic Games return to the UK as soon as possible (although this might take at least three or four decades).

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, they have been exceptional, on all levels. Obviously, this is looking on from afar as I wasn't there - but everything seemed to run smoothly. The empty seats fiasco, was never a London problem , so I can't even suggest that was a hiccup. London were great hosts, exceptional hosts in many ways.

And as Canada's national post describes 'these were a perfect games'

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/news/blog.html?b=sports.nationalpost.com/2012/08/11/blatchford-london-2012&pubdate=2012-08-11

The journalist who wrote this article has been to 14 previous Olympic games. Incredible praise for the British capital, when so many thought London would struggle.

I hate ranking Olympics, as I think each games are different and have their own set of characteristics - as should be the case.

A huge success though for London, and now we move onto Rio (a games I am hugely excited about)

A1 to London, I think a year from now the IOC should review the games such droping waterpolo, fencing, handball. What worked and what didn't. So to the members of the International Gamesbid.com Committee lets congrats London for a job very well done(from a televison point of view). To IOC drop some sports for 2020, start taking notice of the cost of the games; because those who ignore history are bound to repeat it.

As someone who's posted on these forums for nearly 9 years - and mostly about London 2012 - it's sad that I can't properly compare these Games to all those I've watched on TV. I'm not even going to try. Being "in" an Olympics - an Olympics in my city - is so completely different it wouldn't be fair to make the comparison.

What I will say is that I don't think anyone can argue that objectively, these have been one of the best Olympics ever. Record crowds, full morning sessions at athletics which hasn't been seen before, 1m people lining the cycling road race course, a fifth of the population seeing the torch in person, no transport problems, the IOC has praised the organisation from the start, huge Olympic Park with athletes village on its doorstep, record TV viewership. In everything that can be "measured" London has done itself proud.

And everything I've experienced - apart from the odd rain shower - has been great. I've enjoyed wandering around the Park, I've enjoyed the atmosphere in the full-up venues, I've enjoyed talking to people on the Tube (yes, really!!), I've enjoyed watching sports in the flesh that I've only ever seen on tele at other Olympics like archery and handball, and I've enjoyed how London has 'felt' over the last month - it feels a slightly different, slightly more open and optimistic, and slightly more friendly city. I also enjoyed the added bonus of getting to boo Sepp Blatter at Wembley after watching a great match between two skilful, attacking women's football teams.

But as I said, whilst for me these will be the best Olympics ever, I can't fairly compare them to the best Games I've seen on TV. For me that's Sydney. If London has come across as well as Sydney did to people around the World, then I'll be happy. If not, I just hope people have enjoyed what they've seen, enjoyed seeing a Games in London, and feel they've been a success.

It's been fun. Onto the Paralympics (2m tickets sold so far for that, and I finally get to go in the stadium and velodrome myself)....then Rio baby! Unless I win the lottery that'll be a TV Games for me.

#proudtobebritish

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that! Seeing the Olympic stadium full for heats, was spectacular. Even our commentators pointed out that it was unprecedented, especially the 60,000 who stayed behind for the decathlon after the main morning session had ended. No wonder the IAAF gave London the 2017 worlds.

I'm going to refrain from a verdict, at least for the moment. I'll no doubt ponder it on the flight home and maybe have something to add from Sydney. But I'm not sure if I can be objective. Just as I'll never be able to judge Sydney except as a games that touched me at the deepest emtional level as a highpoint of my life and as a games fan, London's also one that I've experienced totally differently than any I've only watched from afar. Let's just say that I'll always have very fond memories of London, and I can find very little to fault in what I saw and experienced.

These were without a doubt the best Summer Olympics I have witnessed barring a weird and unique OC these games were "exceptional".

-Venues were full (even though some had empty seats)

All in all I give its a 8/10 - second behind Vancouver for me.

I guess so far, so good. But if you've already hosted 2x before, then I would think you would get it right the 3rd time. <_<;) So that these 2012 Games are good ones should come as no surprise. But I still disagree with the choice of Danny Boyle. Another creative person would've given more smashing ceremonies. He was a poor choice.

I guess so far, so good. But if you've already hosted 2x before, then I would think you would get it right the 3rd time. <_<;) So that these 2012 Games are good ones should come as no surprise. But I still disagree with the choice of Danny Boyle. Another creative person would've given more smashing ceremonies. He was a poor choice.

I agree with Danny Boyle. He's just that sort of person who insists that he uses his guys (people who he's worked with in the past) for elements of the ceremonies. It almost gave the ceremonies an Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Sri Lankan vibe. The prerecorded video sequences were just a little sloppy. Why didn't he fix the Queen's arrival with James Bond to make it look more real, look live and most importantly look seamless? This is just one example, there's plenty more.

Which of course begs the question, who would have been a better choice?

Which of course begs the question, who would have been a better choice?

Since their whole bid was patterned and guided by the Sydney mantra, and even Boyle himself is quoted as liking the Sydney ceremonies model, I would've paired West End producer Cameron Mackintosh with veteran Ric Birch and/or Atkins. Between the two/three of them, I am sure they could've come up with something more wondrous. Boyle just happened to be at the right place at the right time, just having won a dubious Oscar for the thoroughly manipulative SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE. Just because he was flavor of the moment, didn't mean he was the Director for all Seasons. Anyway...hopefully the Russians and Scott Givens will bring Ceremonies back to the more bombastic and breathtaking realm!

I wasn't convinced about London when they won the bid and throughout the build up to the games. Well, congrats to the Brits: you proved this doubter wrong. I don't think these games will go down as the best ever (not that I really buy into that notion) but they where awesome, I think that they would be the best since Sydney.

I didn't really like the opening ceremony as much as the Brits seemed to like it but, hey, I don't really care for ceremonies anyway :P

London had some of the best venues in history for some sports: Horse guard parade, Wimbledon, Wembley, Lords and the equestrian venues might all be the best ever. There where also definitively the best games ever for cycling, especially road and track.

Overall awesome games, and in some ways reminiscent to Vancouver (at least one "greatest ever" venue (Olympic oval), great crowds, best ever games in at least one sport (Ice Hockey), and a long suffering sport nation getting it's best ever medal haul). Well done London, I'm not sure it could have been any better.

Seemingly, I am in the minority, but I really liked the ceremony and am glad it wasn't over the top, like Beijing. As for it not being breathtaking, I couldn't disagree more. Some parts blew me away, some parts made me laugh. When I watched Beijing, my mouth never closed, it was a wonder but it lacked emotion. Certainly, if you consider Beijing as the benchmark for ceremonies, then London was poor. But for me, Beijing, while a lavish ceremony, lacked in so many other ways and if I was forced to rank would be near the bottom. I am so glad London was nothing like Beijing.

For me this have been the best games ever.

But I must admit that I cannot be objective. I like GB and the brits too much, maybe I see only what I want to see.

And this have been my first games which I attend in person and not only in front of my TV so it will always have a special place in my mind.

Awesome venues, great sport and very friendly and happy atmosphere everywhere in the streets and in the venues.

It have been the biggest and friendliest party since the 2006 World Cup for me.

Everyone who was insulted in this games have done a brilliant job.

Now I am looking forward to Rio 2016 and hope that I will find the time to get there too.

Thanks GB!!

I'm a bit angry with Brazil football team now, so, only my score

London was 10/10

Congrats Brits!

Winning it in front of home crowds in 2016, will be so much sweeter :) so fear not! I hope you enjoy tomorrow, and are ready for the next wonderful 4 years !!

Winning it in front of home crowds in 2016, will be so much sweeter :) so fear not! I hope you enjoy tomorrow, and are ready for the next wonderful 4 years !!

I will echo this - the four years before a home Olympics are simply wonderful. It's Brazil's time now, enjoy it :)

Not to forget that Brazil will have particularly wonderful four years in the lead-up to their Olympics, since they'll stage also the World Cup in that period. So we're entering four very Brazilian years in world sports, and it's Brazil's time to shine. I think that Brazil and its perception in the world won't be the same after those four years.

But as I said, whilst for me these will be the best Olympics ever, I can't fairly compare them to the best Games I've seen on TV. For me that's Sydney. If London has come across as well as Sydney did to people around the World, then I'll be happy. If not, I just hope people have enjoyed what they've seen, enjoyed seeing a Games in London, and feel they've been a success.

I did not get to watch as much of these Summer games as I sometimes do. I for one think that London came across very well to the world at large on TV. I don't know if it was the same as Sydney in that many were not as familiar with Sydney and so there was the element of discovery for the viewer. Everyone knows about London or has been there. It's one of the best known cities in the world, and would be even without an Olympics. So there were expectations for London and I think they, at the very least, lived up to those expectations for a 21st century Olympics in one of the world's great cities. If there were such a thing as "regular" Olympic hosts (as in a few cities that the Olympics periodically come back to while alternating with new sites), I think London would be a top candidate - considering its accessibility, its diversity, and it's enthusiasm for sports (the NFL plays a regular season game in London every season now, and that's no coincidence - the fans are great!).

I don't think you can describe any games as the best ever because in most cases every bring their own weaknesses. For me two of the weaker ones were the souless Beijing games and the over commericalised Atlanta games.

London 2012 can hold its head up high and can rightfully say that it has not been inferior to any of the games of the modern era.

Excellent volunteers, smooth and efficient security, surprisingly good public transport, world class venues, and astonishing public support and all the venues - even in sports where we have no background like Weightling, the Head of the International Federation said he was awestruck by the amount of support.

I don't understand the criticism of the opening ceremony. We will never going to imitate Beijing. We were going to do our own thing, and for me it gave a perfect introduction. If it left some people questioning, then that is great because inevitable people like to find answers to the questions they have which introduces them further to Britain.

Whilst I have no doubt Rio will put on an excellent games, I think the mayor of Rio is right in saying that London will be a very difficult act to follow with venues almost on a par with Beijing but with a sense of humanity, support, friendliness and openess, which will be pretty tough to follow.

London 2012 for me gets a A+ ... as I cannot think without nitpicking what could have been improved upon.

Thank you for the kind words! :wub:

But it seems we were cursed... We never won any gold medal in football!!! How can be? :(

Tomorrow it will be 8 very special minutes B) and the next 4 years... well, it will depend on how much the trolls of GamesBids will destroy my joy of living the Olympics... <_<

I don't think you can describe any games as the best ever because in most cases every bring their own weaknesses. For me two of the weaker ones were the souless Beijing games and the over commericalised Atlanta games.

London 2012 can hold its head up high and can rightfully say that it has not been inferior to any of the games of the modern era.

Excellent volunteers, smooth and efficient security, surprisingly good public transport, world class venues, and astonishing public support and all the venues - even in sports where we have no background like Weightling, the Head of the International Federation said he was awestruck by the amount of support.

I don't understand the criticism of the opening ceremony. We will never going to imitate Beijing. We were going to do our own thing, and for me it gave a perfect introduction. If it left some people questioning, then that is great because inevitable people like to find answers to the questions they have which introduces them further to Britain.

Whilst I have no doubt Rio will put on an excellent games, I think the mayor of Rio is right in saying that London will be a very difficult act to follow with venues almost on a par with Beijing but with a sense of humanity, support, friendliness and openess, which will be pretty tough to follow.

London 2012 for me gets a A+ ... as I cannot think without nitpicking what could have been improved upon.

For me it was mostly the terrible "social media" section, the freaky dance about mortality and the weird NHS section that made me not overly found of the ceremony. I quite liked the rest of it, especially the Chariot of Fire segment.

Oh, and too many video segments. Though ironically two of my three favourite moments where video segments. That might be part of the problem, actually.

Not that the opening was /bad/, I'm just not sure it really spoke to people outside of Britain.

Well, I'm more calm now...

London games were very well organized, very beautiful and very special to me (as Brazilian, it's the Olympic we will be compared in 4 years) and I can say, it'll be hard to Rio to get something similar (which is good, every Olympic have it own charm).

Watching it by TV, I got more will to visit London someday. I'm not a huge fan of "planing to visit Europe soon" like 99% of Brazilians. But London and Barcelona are place I WILL go someday in my life, for sure.

Back to the Olympics, I still think Beijing venues were one or two degrees more beautiful and spetacular, indeed, in the look.

London is not my favorite Olympics ever (Athens still winning), but for sure, I enjoyed every single moment

And I'm very pleased Brits were so kind with Brazil in many moments of the games (despite some BOOINGS in football to our athletes for no reason, but BOOINGS in football are OK!!!)

Londoners, be proud!!! What amazing games we witnessed in your magical and beautiful city!

For me it was mostly the terrible "social media" section, the freaky dance about mortality and the weird NHS section that made me not overly found of the ceremony. I quite liked the rest of it, especially the Chariot of Fire segment.

Oh, and too many video segments. Though ironically two of my three favourite moments where video segments. That might be part of the problem, actually.

Not that the opening was /bad/, I'm just not sure it really spoke to people outside of Britain.

I think the NHS is a British institution that we are rightfully proud of and which sums up Britain - whether you're rich or poor, and you can grumble about service - it is sacrosanct and whilst it may not play so well overseas it is British to its fingernails

The video sections were fillers whilst the sets were changed, but I think they worked well.

I guess Danny Boyle (an excellent director) was trying to tell the tail of how the modern Britain came about focusing on themes of each generation, and even if he didn't quite pull it off, I doubt that even Spielberg could.

What I will say is that a comment here was the Olympic Ceremony was behaving as if it was on drugs - you had no idea what would come next so kept your attention.

I couldn't agree more about Atlanta. I attended these games, and largely enjoyed being there. But they were way over commercialized and I don't consider Atlanta to be one of the better sports cities even in the USA. I thought the venues were bland, as was the atmosphere. The best part of what I saw personally was the soccer (football) up in Athens @ the University of Georgia.

Archived