Brazil has one of the world's largest populations, one of its fastest growing economies, and in a few days, it will receive the Olympic flag from the Great Britain as host of the next Olympic Games.

So looking ahead through the next four years how will they fare on the podium at the Rio 2016 Games and what is the country doing to ensure they have a stellar performance on the medal table? We always see a host boost in medals - Spain almost matched their all-time medal haul to date at the 1992 Barcelona Games; Australia jumped up into the Top 10 for several Games in the build up and as a legacy to Sydney 2000; and even the much maligned (and gold-less) 1976 Games of Montreal proved to be Canada's largest medal haul to date since the 1932 Los Angeles Games.

While Brazil is not a traditional Olympic medal power, it has made improvements on that record. Starting with the 1996 Games in Atlanta, they have improved their score from their previous average of 0-3 medals prior to the 1980s and 4-8 average during the 1980s.

This table from Wikipedia shows their performance at the previous 4 Olympiads and currently in London (end of Day 12) they have 10 medals, one of them, a gold, that was the first ever in gymnastics in the country and Latin America.

Olympics | G | S | B | T | Rank

1996 Atlanta | 3 | 3 | 9 | 15 | 25

2000 Sydney | 0 | 6 | 6 | 12 | 53

2004 Athens | 5 | 2 | 3 | 10 | 16

2008 Beijing | 3 | 4 | 8 | 15 | 23

So what can we expect in 2016 when Rio de Janeiro plays host to the Games of the XXXI Olympiad?

Edited by Kenadian
  • Like 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brazil has one of the world's largest populations, one of its fastest growing economies, and in a few days, it will receive the Olympic flag from the Great Britain as host of the next Olympic Games.

the Olympic Flag is displayed properly and respectfully at Rio`s City Hall IOC

No wonder Brazilian athletes are "weak minded" if this is the support they are getting from home.

Brazil have already 2 golds and have more 4 medals guaranteed (still to know which color in the next days)

Brazil may finish these games with 14-15 medals, 3 or 4 golds.

Yet, a poor performance ahead 2016, but. Most of our high-perfomance athletes in London are retiring (Cielo, Men Volleyball, Women Volleyball, Women Soccer) and some young talents already are showing good evolution...

I expect 20 medals in 2016, 7-9 golds

Kenadian's "one of them, a gold" was surely not meant as their total number of golds but just was related to their gold in Gymnastics.

So, it's right...

Brazil already achieved 15 medals, Men Volleyball can guaratee 16th this friday in the semifinals...

If Brazilian Men Volleyball win a medal, it'll be our best participation in terms of total count.

I'm tipping Brazil will shake up the status quo for the world's top 10 sporting powers (US, GB, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, China, Korea, Japan, Australia) in the medium term future. I feel as though Brazilians have had a larger presence at the Games in finals than I've previously noticed, perhaps that's just been a fluke. even if they're not converting to more medals yet, I think Brazil has the right formula to become a sporting power over the next couple decades.

Brazil is like an elephant... Moves really slowly...

We have been witnessing more investment in sports in the last 20 years and also better results.

The number of finals is really an indicative Brazil grew in Olympic Games.

And more, now we have some "individual sports" national heroes. It's a thing hard to believe few years ago.

I think the place for Brazil in a medium term is to be one of the Top-Ten in Gold counts... This can be achieved in the 2028, 2032 games.

And this would be amazing for a country like ours.

---

Brazil already got 15 medals and tomorow will be a thrilling day for us!

Finals for:

- Female Volleyball

- Male Football

- Boxe Mens 75Kg

And today we have two more semifinals

- Men Volleyball

- Boxe Mens 81Kg

WOW!!!

It's still possible to achieve Top-15... yeah, too much lucky for that...

You may have noticed Brazil is a country of team sports. This is a cultural trait and also the result of lack of infrastructure and tradition on individual sports. Football, Volleyball - indoor and beach -, Handball, Basketball, are regular in virtually every school games and that's it: the public funds for sports is very, very badly used to discover new talents and build and sustain athletes from other sports other than the those of the school curriculum.

We have some ground in swimming and judo but they're pretty much "middle-class" sports parents usually put their kids on and most never reach national competitions or quit to focus on high school. Equestrian and sailing are for the 'filthy rich' and that's pretty much our sports outline and our medal formula...

I'm afraid we won't see much improvement in 4 years time. Not before the Olympic Training Center is put to good use and similar venues become common place all around the country.

Perfect analysis, but some have been done lately.

Indeed, people and government are discussing the Brazilian sport more and more.

In 4 years we will have some advantage as home team, and probably get better results. The goal is to keep the evolution in Istanbul (?) 2020...

I see the programs Govt is doing will bring us some results in 8 to 12 years...

Let's wait 'n see

Brazil plans big spending to improve medal haul in 2016

The host nation of the next Olympics had a mixed outing in London and is hoping that a surge in spending on athletes and facilities will ensure it makes the top 10 medals table in 2016 on home soil in Rio de Janeiro.

Brazil won 17 medals in London, two more than its previous best in Beijing, finishing 22nd in the overall count.

However, officials were frustrated after Brazil managed only three golds and at the general shortage of medals in the swimming pool and on the athletics track.

The 2016 hosts have decided to focus more on individual events in a bid to win more medals in front of their own fans.

"Our goal is to get in the top 10 medals table and to do that we need to keep winning medals in the disciplines we've already won at and also win medals in new areas," said Marcos Vinicius Freire of the Brazilian Olympic Committee (COB).

To achieve that goal, Brazil will spend $700 million over the next four years on high performance athletes alone -- triple the amount in the run-up to the London games.

Much of the investment comes from lottery funding. Two percent of Brazil's federal lottery money -- 140 million reais ($70 million) last year -- goes to the COB with the rest coming from sponsors, companies, and federal, state and municipal authorities.

Full Article (Reuters)

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48651689

Olympic Flag Arrives in Rio

The Olympic flag has touched down in Rio de Janeiro, the city that will host the 2016 Games.

Rio Mayor Eduardo Paes waved the five-ringed flag as he descended on Monday from his flight from London, where he was on hand for the Olympic closing ceremony a day earlier.

The arrival of the flag marks the official start of Rio's Olympic preparations, with the city to undertake nearly 200 projects to construct sports venues and other infrastructure during the next four years.

Not all are elated; a small group of demonstrators gathered outside the airport where the mayor landed to protest against evictions connected with Olympic projects.

Rio will be the first South American city to host the Olympics.

AP

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8515865

bandeira_olimpica_andur.jpg

pic

How I miss Varig...

Varig was our national carrier and was present in every single big moment of our country...

PS: Yes, it's probably a code-share.

Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff on Tuesday received the Olympic flag from the hands of Rio de Janeiro's mayor and said she was confident that the Olympic Games to be held in that city in 2016 would be a great "success."

Rousseff received at her office at the Planalto Palace Mayor Eduardo Paes, Brazilian Olympic Committee chief Carlos Arthur Nuzman and siblings Esquiva and Yamaguchi Falcao, who respectively won silver and bronze medals in boxing in the London Olympics, the closing ceremony for which was held last Sunday.

The Olympic flag, which forms part of the Games' symbology and, along with the eternal flame, was received by Paes in London at the close of the 2012 Games, will be placed on display Wednesday in the Rio shantytown of Complexo do Alemao.

Afterwards, the flag will be exhibited in the residential neighborhood of Realengo and finally it will wave over the City Palace, one of the seats of the municipal government, and at the end of the year will be transferred to the Olympic Pavilion, still under construction, where the infrastructure projects linked with the Games will be showcased.

EFE

http://latino.foxnew...s-olympic-flag/

Olympic flag taken up to Rio’s Christ Statue

The Olympic flag receives a special blessing from seven different religions at Rio de Janeiro's Christ the Redeemer Statue

The Olympic flag made it to the top of Rio de Janeiro's Christ the Redeemer Statue to get a blessing in an inter-religious act aimed at marking the peaceful union of all nations.

The Olympic symbol made its grand entrance next to flags of all countries that took part in the Games in London.

The 130-foot monument, which looks out over Rio's dramatic view of beaches and mountains, is the Catholic country's main symbol.

The President of the Rio 2016 Organising Committee Carlos Arthur Nuzman and Rio's Mayor Eduardo Paes attended the ceremony.

After it touched base in Brazil last week, the Olympic flag toured Rio's slums and was set for public display at the government palace.

http://www.telegraph...ist-Statue.html

2012081910745.jpg

pic

All this people and these two politician (Nuzman and Paes) clearly don't care at all on the rules of what NOT to do with the official Olympic Flag. It's embarassing. I hope the IOC will put them in their place real soon.

Is it really wrong to bring the Olympic flag to Christ the Redeemer statue, I mean, according to IOC rules?

If yes, shame on them, if not, life goes on...

They're (all the people) touching it with no gloves and the mayor can't stop kissing it every day. And this is the flag that goes from city to city and there are some rules to keep it in good state. And frankly, this corny populist show Eduardo Paes is putting all around this flag is just his reelection stuff on the street, is it not?

And Dannyel, Mano Menezes should've called you for goalkeeper position. You're the best in that. CHILL!!!!!!!!!!

They're (all the people) touching it with no gloves and the mayor can't stop kissing it every day. And this is the flag that goes from city to city and there are some rules to keep it in good state. And frankly, this corny populist show Eduardo Paes is putting all around this flag is just his reelection stuff on the street, is it not?

And Dannyel, Mano Menezes should've called you for goalkeeper position. You're the best in that. CHILL!!!!!!!!!!

First, I hate Mano Menezes.

Secondly, I just made a question, I was really curious about the rules to use the flag...

Yes, they are overusing the flag, but I'm only worried about "using it not properly" according the rules. If the rules allows ecumenic acts, show the flag to the President and other stuff, so there is no reason for complainings.

If the mayor of Rio is doing wrong things, I'll be throwing rock on him with you, Victor.

BTW, Mano Menezes should've called you for the attack... :P

Regarding TAM, what I read here is that they refused the offer from Rio-cog (any idea what is the acronym for the 2016 Organizing Committee?)

And all this talk of who is putting the hand on the flag is a little over in my opinion. Just wash it later, no one will notice :lol: