Team GB victory parade

paul92

Well, the 7th richest and 22nd most populated country in the world, Great Britain, look to finish 3rd in the medal table.

I think this calls for a celebration - awesome job Team GB.

So the parade will take place on September 10 for both the Olympic and Paralympic competitors. The parade will be in central London, and will travel through Westminster and Trafalgar Square before going down The Mall to conclude at a stage in front of Buckingham Palace.

article-0-0223BFAE000005DC-673_468x313.jpg

Victory ceremony following Beijing 2008.

london-handover-red_795557c.jpg

The Mall, where the parade will conclude.

It's a great idea but having it on a Monday really limits who can attend. I get that it is probably a bit of a logistical nightmare to get them all in one place plus members of the Royal family but surely having it on a weekend would be better.

• 2 weeks later...

Games Makers, military and other volunteers to be "represented" in London 2012 victory parade

Games Makers, the military and other volunteers involved in the Olympic and Paralympic Games will be represented in the special athletes' victory parade through the streets of London on September 10, the Mayor's Office has confirmed.

The victory parade will see Britain's top Olympic and Paralympic athletes from London 2012, such as Sir Chris Hoy and Jessica Ennis, travel through the capital on floats with millions of flag-waving supporters expected to line the streets to cheer them on.

The parade is being organised primarily by the British Olympic Association (BOA), the British Paralympic Association (BPA) and the Mayor's Office.

It has been confirmed that only the athletes will feature directly in the parade but the volunteers and military involved in the Games will be celebrated in some capacity.

"Team London Ambassadors, Games Makers and other volunteers will be represented at the celebrations on September 10th," said a spokesperson for the Mayor of London.

http://www.insidethe...-victory-parade

• 3 weeks later...

So the parade was a massive success, a million people came to central London to watch the athletes go past.

They made their way to Buckingham Palace where there was a flyover followed by speeches, the most memorable coming from Mayor of London, Boris Johnson.

I was on the Mall and it was an amazing atmosphere; I have ridiculous numbers of photos to go through.

And yes, it was a very Boris speech. The line about not only inspiring a generation but possibly creating one too had the Mall in stitches.

Archived