Nairobi Plans A 2024 Olympic Bid

GBModerator

But these poltical parties aren't in desperate need of basic human services. Nairobi would clearly be squandering money that they shouldn't be.

N yeah, Baku-ku might host sometime in the 22nd century. If Paris, PARIS, is still waiting after a fricken century, then I woudn't hold my breath for Baku-ku if I were u.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baku will host, if not 2024 then 2028. You just can't deny a city, which comes back bidding again and again consistently stronger.

As for Paris, let's assume they bid alongside Toronto and win over a clearly superior (and compact) Toronto bid. So be it, it's the "wait is over" over a clearly "superior" in every way bid. Not to mention it being 2, 3 time hosts in just 12 years apart.

It just means that Baku has an even bigger shot in 2028, 2032 and so forth. They WILL eventually host in this century if they consistently bid.

It's a simple matter of giving the underdogs a chance, it shouldn't always be the big shots. An Olympics bid race would definitely be boring if it was always wealthy cities and countries that put their hands up.

Oh, & look how consistently bidding worked out for Detroit, Ostersund, Salzburg & Madrid. Simply bcuz a city keeps bidding doesn't mean that the IOC is "obligated" to give them the Games.

What's so special about Baku where the other, more compelling cities above missed out? There's nothing compelling about Baku for the IOC to be drooling over in a frenzy to be wanting to go there. N if Istanbul gets 2020, then Baku can just kiss the next several cycles goodbye anyway.

Now I digress, since this thread is about Nairobi, but then again, they're a non-starter, too.

But you have to measure it with REASON. And those of us that think the idea to be impractical and bizarre have given ample reason why it isn't the best idea for Kenya.

Even an Olympic bid costs a lot of money. Money that Kenya shouldn't be putting in to something that is going to fail spectacularly. It is OK to dream. And it is OK to chase those dreams when you have the resources. But you have to be pragmatic. And Africa has bigger fish to fry...google 'Africa's problems'...you might discover a few shockers!

Trying to hosting the Olympics is a lot like trying to compete in the Olympics. A couch potato who's never lifted a finger in his life shouldn't expect to beat Usain Bolt at the Rio de Janeiro Games.

And yes. The Olympics are a global event. An elite sporting event of elite athletes from around the world, sponsored by the world's biggest and richest companies. It isn't a backyard picnic.

Ugh....why am I bothering? Sure, let them bid and win and host. The Games will be an organizational nightmare. Nothing will be built. Sponsors will back out. Athletes will fear the conditions. The IOC will have to move the Games to Los Angeles in 2022. The country's economy will collapse, they'll fall into civil war, investors will be frightened off for decades...but g0ddammit, for one shining glorious moment in 2017, Africa will have celebrated an Olympic bid victory.

Happy?

I never said they were going to win, did I? I never said they were even going to make the shortlist. I'm just saying give them a shot.

Even in the unlikely chance that they do win, they will get things done, or face international humiliation. Pride and more is at stake, things will get done and the city will have clear benefits out of it (a bid will also have it's benefits).

And I'm not saying that they CAN'T bid.

I'm saying that they SHOULDN'T.

Put that effort into creating a responsible, sustainable plan for improving the lives of the 40 million plus in the country. Not wasting it on trying to impress the 100 elite members of the IOC.

You clearly don't understand the reality of Africa's problems. An Olympic bid should be the furthest thing from their minds.

I'm just saying give them a shot.

Let's give the 300 lb one-legged ballerina an audition at the Bolshoi.

Let's give the deaf-mute an audition at the Met.

Let's give me a berth in the 100m.

We all deserve a chance.

I feel anyone can bid, it is there time and money. But the way I see it, when a city/country bids, they open themselves up to be critiqued, and that is what we are all good at here, right?

Anyway, I think everyone deserves a fair look, but Kenya still has a long, long way to go. I think they deserve more consideration than Qatar though, which I guess says more about Qatar than it does Kenya.

I never said they were going to win, did I? I never said they were even going to make the shortlist. I'm just saying give them a shot.

Sigh! Why do I get the impression that your wish is more to have a bid plan to pick apart and a bid book to pore over, rather than your burning desire to bring social justice or prosperity to the east African people?

If you want an African games and bid book, South Africa's the only one that could realistically do it - and even then that would spark a lot of debate about the responsibility of doing so. But they could afford it and even aspire to winning. Kenya can't.

An African Olympics could be the catalyst in bringing prosperity to that area of Africa.

Think of all the temporary and permanent jobs it will create. The boost in tourism. The boost in legacy sporting venues used for training by various African and international teams. The inevitable exposure that even just bidding makes.

It won't solve everything sure, but some of it. They won't win sure, but even just bidding has it's benefits.

Lol who the **** cares, let them bid, i highly doubt they will go ahead and bid same with South Africa, and to those saying there are better things to focus on can't we see the same thing about well EVERYWHERE. America always hosts the games yet there is heaps of people unemployed, many homeless/poor people. Spains bidding for 2020 yet have over 20% unemployment and people use the excuse that hosting the games will create jobs, wouldn't that be the same for a bid from Kenya? Hell India hosted the 2010 commonwealth games and that has got to be a seriously poor nation with hundreds of millions in poverty but not only did they bid but they won.

It won't solve everything sure, but some of it. They won't win sure, but even just bidding has it's benefits.

Yeah, bidding really put the likes of Tashkent and Borjomi on the world map and speeded their economic rise!

Who in their right mind would compare the United States, Spain or even India with Kenya. N India bid & got the CWG's, NOT the Olympics. N their organization of the event was sub-par & would most likely impact an Olympic bid in the future. So what does that say for the likes if Kenya, not much.

Who in their right mind would compare the United States, Spain or even India with Kenya. N India bid & got the CWG's, NOT the Olympics. N their organization of the event was sub-par & would most likely impact an Olympic bid in the future. So what does that say for the likes if Kenya, not much.

People were saying the priorities should be elsewhere but this is the case for nearly every country across the world.

Still, even the poorest of the poor in the U.S. & Western Europe have it much better than the poor in Kenya. If we go by your logic, then Australia also had no right in hosting it's 2 Olympic Games that it has. I'm sure the Aboriginies would've agreed.

The Aborigines do not make up a significant number in our major cities (those which have made a bid). Not to mention that the 1956 games were a different time.

The Aborigines have made agreements to our past recent Olympic bids even though they're getting no real benefit from it. As long as they've been represented (and yes they have) then that's all that's really required.

It would have been a far different story if Aborigines were absolutely not represented in any form in a modern Australian Olympics.

Archived