Nairobi Plans A 2024 Olympic Bid

GBModerator

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missed the point completely.

The vast majority of Africa has bigger fish to fry than hosting elite sporting events.

Yes, there are issues in London, Vancouver, Beijing and Salt Lake City. But those cities have the infrastructure and resources in place to support the vast majority of the population in a high standard on a daily basis.

Kenya has an economy a tenth of the size of Greece.

Missed the point completely.

The vast majority of Africa has bigger fish to fry than hosting elite sporting events.

Yes, there are issues in London, Vancouver, Beijing and Salt Lake City. But those cities have the infrastructure and resources in place to support the vast majority of the population in a high standard on a daily basis.

Kenya has an economy a tenth of the size of Greece.

In my opinion, that should be the last post of this thread. Sums it up.

But the likes of Africa (and African city) deserves the games more than say Doha.

The Olympics shouldn't just be for the rich and wealthy, it should be spread around.

Provided that there's adequate national funding, with perhaps some assistance from developed nations, then why not? You certainly can't expect the likes of Nairobi and Kenya to support a games on it's own. It'll look towards Western nations to help assist in funding a potential games.

I think the people of Kenya might care. And the wealthy nations of the world should help poor countries develop their people and improve their Human Development Index before they build them shiny new stadiums for a two week sporting orgy.

In my mind, this whole idea is immoral.

Who cares?

How about the athletes, the IOC, the sponsors, and the spectators? Don't you think they'd be a bit disappointed with a near non-existent infrastructure? No real mass transit, nowhere near enough hotel rooms, virtually no existing venues, very little hosting/organizing experience, no major corporations to fund the Games, not to mention sky-high poverty....

They can't do it. It's that simple. Figuring out how to renovate one stadium solves nothing.

Like I said earlier, you will get funding from various sources including outside assistance.

You propose what you got in a bid and the huge undertaking you propose if you get the games. The point is anything actually proposed (to be built regardless) from a bid will be a sure sign legacy. The Olympic Games should not be for the rich and wealthy to host and they should be offering their assistance to nations who obviously can't do it on their own.

I see your point. By the way, I'm planning on buying a Rolls Royce next month. I look forward to everyone at Gamesbids to sending me their contributions so I can enjoy a car I won't be able to afford or maintain. Thanks, guys! You are wonderful!

I see your point. By the way, I'm planning on buying a Rolls Royce next month. I look forward to everyone at Gamesbids to sending me their contributions so I can enjoy a car I won't be able to afford or maintain. Thanks, guys! You are wonderful!

That's different. You come from a developed nation and don't need such things.

Nairobi and Kenya on the other hand may not need the Olympics sure, but could use the infrastructure development which comes about as a result of a bid or actually hosting. You obviously can't get them to do it all on their own. That's why Chinese companies are assisting in renovation and construction of sporting facilities all over the developing world.

Yeah, I guess people in Kenya need luxury sports and temporary housing facilities for tennis and NBA millionaires before they need things like improving their overall condition. That 128 rank on the UN Human Development Index be damned!

Anyway...this Olympic bid idea is a completely misguided set of priorities and not the way to help Kenya evolve and grow.

A country/city doesn't need to host the Olympics, though, to get such improvements from outside help. Like someone said earlier, helping these nations in the areas to improve their quality of life is one thing, but for them to splurge it on a 3-week festival is something totally different.

It's like the people who whine that they barely have money for groceries, but then go out & buy the lastest iPhone. Talk about having your priorities being f@cked up.

Think of the local jobs it could create, think of the legacy income coming from sports people all over the African region using their sports facilities. Think of the general transport infrastructure and hotel development which can occur. Think of the national pride which would come in hosting an Olympics!

Well obviously they won't win a bid, but it would be interesting to see what they propose and what actually ends up getting done.

Think of the local jobs it could create, think of the legacy income coming from sports people all over the African region using their sports facilities. Think of the general transport infrastructure and hotel development which can occur. Think of the national pride which would come in hosting an Olympics!

Well obviously they won't win a bid, but it would be interesting to see what they propose and what actually ends up getting done.

But they don't have critical mass. There won't be any pride if they fail miserably because they lack the ingredients. You can't bake much of a cake if you only have flour and water.

Think of the 30 years of debt Montreal faced. Think of the economic crisis ravaging Greece. Think of security needed to avoided another Munich Massacre. Think of the resources needed by the people of the country that would be deflected to organizing the Games. Think of the absolute complexity of hosting this utterly massive event.

Giving a poor man a Rolls Royce is not the way to help a him learn how to drive.

Jeez David, I get the impression you've just got a hard on to see a Nairobi venue plan and bid book, and basic conditions like sanitation, housing and food for the people be damned. Talk about mis-placed priorities.

Next, I think we Australian taxpayers should fund an East Timor games, so you get something to get excited about and build a venue plan around.

The whole idea is frickin obscene. I don't mind assisting any cluntry to help their people get basic services, but NOBODYis going to "assist" for a three week party of dubious benefit.

Like it or not, the Games are a rich nation's luxury. NOT a right for any nation.

The benefits being more than just sporting infrastructure? Like transport and so forth? Obviously, basic standards will be boosted in preparation for any major sporting event like the Olympics.

I'm sure South Africa did the same for it's host cities in preparation for their World Cup. There's plenty of poor people there and still is.

woah lol heaps of arguing just jumped in Nairobi has no chance of winning but they are one of the better equipped african nations and it's not "frickin obscene". Frickin obscene is saying that Afghanistan should host it right now or Somalia.

Mate, I've been to Nairobi - have you? It's a basically 90 per cent a shanty town where most people have no electiricity and live in homes created from cardboard boxes and other waste. It's not just a slightly poorer version of what we are used to in the west. I don't take it back. It is frickin obscene!

No amount of games infrastructure and stadiums is going to help that.

It won't help it completely obviously, but it would help in some regards.

Think of the new light rail lines built for the games, the athlete's village turned public housing, the hotels which could be converted to public apartments if demand is not sufficient post Olympics.

On an interesting note, Kenya plans by 2030 to be a basic developed nation. A bold plan for them to achieve.

Yep, South Africa has problems. And some are serious enough for me to even question their ability to host the Olympics in the next 20 years.

But...South Africa's economy is 10 times the size of Kenya's. Cities like Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg are developed and wealthy and within Western standards. The 2010 World Cup also has the advantage of being a one sport event spread over 8 to 12 cities and a full month. That means only a single stadium is needed as a venue in each city.

The Olympics require numerous venues, athletes housing, convention space, broadcasting facilities, thousands of hotel rooms, high quality entertainment, food, sanitation and transportation systems and they are concentrated in and around one city. It is a major, major, major undertaking that even some wealthy Western cities have doubts in their ability and capability to host.

And you think dirt poor Nairobi can pull this all off in 12 years?

Oh well...in the end, this will go nowhere.

It won't help it completely obviously, but it would help in some regards.

Think of the new light rail lines built for the games, the athlete's village turned public housing, the hotels which could be converted to public apartments if demand is not sufficient post Olympics.

And how do the people afford those apartments? We're not talking about a slightly poorer version of ourselves. We're talking extreme poverty third world. Millions with no basic housing, sanitation or infrastructure. Any apartments, and the rails between them and the gleaming stadiums, wouldd only go to the 1 per cent of Kenyans bordering on well off (by their standards, and still not well off by ours).

Who said they had to pay? By building these apartments you give them the housing infrastructure the city and country needs post Olympics.

The government is indeed currently addressing the housing problem by building such apartments. Do they expect them to afford it? No of course not, they are building such things regardless to provide the necessary housing and to eliminate the slums. Slums the likes of which next host Rio has.

Archived