Nairobi Plans A 2024 Olympic Bid

GBModerator

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, they would by far not be the favourites, but saying no before we see their technical plan and Kenya's development within the next few years would be a bit early. The IOC - as well as FIFA - have shown much risk-taking during the last cycles when it comes to new horizons and if South Africa decides again not to bid they might stand a slim chance to land the first African Olympics, maybe not for 2024, but more likely for 2028 or 2032. We'll see.

Of course, they would by far not be the favourites, but saying no before we see their technical plan and Kenya's development within the next few years would be a bit early. The IOC - as well as FIFA - have shown much risk-taking during the last cycles when it comes to new horizons and if South Africa decides again not to bid they might stand a slim chance to land the first African Olympics, maybe not for 2024, but more likely for 2028 or 2032. We'll see.

Nairobi is not in a state to put together a good technical plan. Unless they've suddenly had a miraculous and unprecedented blooming in the years since I was there (and I haven't read anything of the sort, indeed, the opposite), they'd be hard pressed to host a single Olympic event, much less a full games.

There's taking risks - and then there's just foolhardy dreams.

Seriously, the only country in Africa that's stable enough to pull this off is South Africa. I don't hear Rogge whispering to the likes of Kenya or Morocco or anyone else to place a bid. There's only one clear option in the near-term.

They couldn't even be able to make a proper All Africa Games back then (which were originally planned for 1982 and got delayed until 1987...no, really. And also they needed China's help to make a stadium which is now crumbling) and they plan to host the olympics?

Next, please.

Sochi is not much of a risk. Russia has a lot of experience hosting sport events and almost all of Sochi venues are about to be finished next year. Pyeongchang is a risk mostly because its a country with little winter sport tradition. I dare to say Rio is the bigger risk they took in recent years, but that's nothing compared to give the WC to a country in the middle of nowhere (all of you know who i'm refering to...)

Sochi, Rio, Pyeongchang and likely Istanbul are relative risks as all of them will host their first winter (Russia/Korea have hosted only Summer) or summer games.

Sochi is not much of a risk. Russia has a lot of experience hosting sport events and almost all of Sochi venues are about to be finished next year. Pyeongchang is a risk mostly because its a country with little winter sport tradition. I dare to say Rio is the bigger risk they took in recent years, but that's nothing compared to give the WC to a country in the middle of nowhere (all of you know who i'm refering to...)

Russia is not in the middle of nowhere >.<

They should give the next world cup to Nova Scotia. Not Canada, Nova Scotia :P

As for the story, yawn, another one to add to the pile of aborted bids, either before being submitted or cut by the IOC pre shortlist.

Sorry, it's not going to happen. Nairobi isn't close to being equipped or able to host a games - as much as Kenya would be a sentimental favourite for many.

The Moi International Sports Stadium could use an upgrade (more than the current upgrade). Remove the roof, add more seating/extend the stands. That would be a legacy of any bid (even though they won't win).

Having now seen the size of the Games with my own eyes, I have to congratulate the relatively small(er) cities like Athens and Atlanta and indeed Sydney who've managed to put on successful Games. I can only imagine how intense and organisationally perfect everything has to be to host in a city a third of the size of London, and only the most developed cities of that size could possibly hope to host. Nairobi, another city small by Olympic standards, does not fall in that category.

They couldn't even be able to make a proper All Africa Games back then (which were originally planned for 1982 and got delayed until 1987...no, really. And also they needed China's help to make a stadium which is now crumbling) and they plan to host the olympics?

Next, please.

It was recently upgraded, could use a further upgrade.

Lower the field to add additional rows of seating, remove the roof. expand the stands. Make sure it's 60,000 individual seats proper. Add at least 2 video screens, perhaps similar to London's stadium light screens. No room for concessions? That's not a problem as you could do London's approach of concessions outside the stadium.

As for the simple seats on the lower 2 tiers, given a proposed expansion, this should be easily replaced to allow for proper individual seating.

The recent upgrade did not include the upper 3rd tier, because supposedly there's insufficient legroom to permit individual seating. Well if one expands the tier (complete removal of the roof, and outer supporting wall, to allow for several rows of of additional extended seating (which might need to be supported externally)), what you then do is reconfigure the rows of seating to be wider in length. Perhaps a complete replacement of these rows. Surely deconstruction is possible?

Building everything from scratch is a risk.

Hosting an Olympic Games isn't about slopping a fresh coat of paint on a 40 year old crumbling stadium and having a few inspiring past athletes parade out at an IOC meeting. It is a huge national commitment involving every level of government, sport and business. Kenya is a long, long way off from staging the Olympic Games.

Go ahead...say it isn't fair that only the rich countries can host the Olympics. Guess what, geniuses...life's not fair! I can't afford a Rolls-Royce. And if I were foolish enough to buy one, it would take me 30 years to pay off and I'd have to sacrifice things like food, clothing and shelter.

To seriously contend for the 2024 Games, Kenya would have to under go massive infrastructure change (roads, housing, hotels, conference centers, telecommunications, airports, sporting venues) in the next three years. Do you really think that is possible? Or necessary when Paris, Toronto, New York or Tokyo are waiting in the wings?

Who said it was a coat of fresh paint?

The simple fact that tier 3 of Kasarani Stadium is incapable of fitting actual seats (because of legroom concerns) means that that tier should ideally be deconstructed, bit by bit, reconstructed (with wider rows) and expanded in the process (getting a new roof too).

The arena might be passable as is and the aquatics pool as well.

Who said it was a coat of fresh paint?

The simple fact that tier 3 of Kasarani Stadium is incapable of fitting actual seats (because of legroom concerns) means that that tier should ideally be deconstructed, bit by bit, reconstructed (with wider rows) and expanded in the process (getting a new roof too).

The arena might be passable as is and the aquatics pool as well.

Yeah, but as kendegra tried to point out, it's so, so much more required than that. It's a joke to even think they could aspire to it in the forseeable future.

And on the day Kenya announcs it will bid for 2024:

Africa Village shut due to debts

LONDON — Africa Village, the continent's shop window in London during the 2012 Games and its first joint hospitality venue at an Olympics, was closed permanently Thursday due to unpaid debts, organisers said.

The hospitality house, set up in Kensington Gardens in central London, had laid on cultural, sporting and culinary festivities to showcase the continent to athletes, VIPs, business chiefs, sports fans and passers-by.

The venue, sponsored by 20 countries under the Association of National Olympic Committees of Africa (ANOCA), has shut down "for reasons beyond its control", the association said.

"The closure, which is consequent on a dispute between a French enterprise and some English companies, has impacted our continent most adversely, especially as our only desire, when we initiated this project, was to exhibit Africa's rich cultural diversity," ANOCA said in a statement.

"We wish to make it clear that ANOCA reserves the right to seek redress for damages caused to our public image and to the exhibitors who were even barred access to the exhibition ground."

The village was closed because of "non-payment of certain suppliers", an organiser told AFP on condition of anonymity.

"The suppliers on the structures and the security teams have not been paid. So they came to take away their property. For the moment it's the status quo. There are discussions going on," he said.

The tents that housed most of the village have not been taken down, he added.

Lotfi Labaied of the Tunisian Olympic committee, which had a stand at the village, said he was "absolutely furious".

"We feel hurt. We spent a lot of money" in getting people to come over from Tunisia, he said.

An International Olympic Committee spokesman said the situation was "very sad".

Several countries have set up a headquarters in the British capital, transforming some of the city's finest buildings into bases such as "Club France", "Casa Brasil", "Casa Italia" or "Sochi Park".

On the menu are receptions to toast medallists, sporting action on big screens, shows and concerts -- not to mention the bars and restaurants serving up national specialities.

AFP

I never went to Africa house, but those I've spoken too who did said it was a pretty ramshackle effort anyway.

Archived