Sports that should added?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also shocked with this..... Hockey????

The Executive Board had started the day discussing the future of five sports, which also included canoeing, hockey and taekwondo.

In the final vote it was between hockey, modern pentathlon and wrestling

http://www.insidethegames.biz/1012857-xx-fighting-for-olympic-future-after-dropped-from-core-sports

http://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-executive-board-recommends-25-core-sports-for-2020-games/190772

The EB recommended that wrestling, governed by the International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA), not be included on the list of core sports. Wrestling will now join the seven shortlisted sports – baseball/softball, karate, roller sports, sport climbing, squash, wakeboarding and wushu – vying for inclusion in the 2020 Olympic programme as an additional sport.

Baseball? No thanks. It's a North American centric, team sport. It was only ever included because of LA84 - and its venues have been the most problematic for other host cities since. That was a good exclusion.

Cricket is the same, and despite having a far wider reach than Baseball, I still think its not quite Olympic material. If cricket was to be included in a multisport event - it would be well suited for Commonwealth Games inclusion - as almost all major Cricket nations are members of the CGF. It last appeared at KL98.

I think BMX should stay, and I'd like to see Skateboarding included. It would genuinely engage a particular group - and recognise its far reaching appeal. Plus - venues shouldn't be a problem.... post-Games public skateparks would be a very successful legacy.

I think the IOC ought to keep sports like Modern pent and Wrestling for history's sake - sure they are not highly exposed outside of the Olympics themselves, but thats what makes them unique and so engaging.

In terms of team sports, I think Soccer, Hockey, Water Polo, and Rugby are fine as it is.

Again - to hell with golf. Shameful, even.

Well they thought it was a Commonwealth sport which is ridiculous considering the British Empire spanned the Globe and both gold medals were awarded to non-Commonwealth countries. Handball would have been a better choice, though the heavy European board might have helped it.

Baseball would be a good addition with only MLB players. The two highest attended leagues in the world are the MLB, and Japanese Baseball leagues. If none of these players show up them they shouldn't be added. Before wrestling being dropped I'd always assumed that karate of squash would replace MP or taekwondo. However with wrestling have very similar quotas to baseball/softball I think its back in the running.

Baseball? No thanks. It's a North American centric, team sport. It was only ever included because of LA84 - and its venues have been the most problematic for other host cities since. That was a good exclusion.

Cricket is the same, and despite having a far wider reach than Baseball, I still think its not quite Olympic material. If cricket was to be included in a multisport event - it would be well suited for Commonwealth Games inclusion - as almost all major Cricket nations are members of the CGF. It last appeared at KL98.

I think BMX should stay, and I'd like to see Skateboarding included. It would genuinely engage a particular group - and recognise its far reaching appeal. Plus - venues shouldn't be a problem.... post-Games public skateparks would be a very successful legacy.

I think the IOC ought to keep sports like Modern pent and Wrestling for history's sake - sure they are not highly exposed outside of the Olympics themselves, but thats what makes them unique and so engaging.

In terms of team sports, I think Soccer, Hockey, Water Polo, and Rugby are fine as it is.

Again - to hell with golf. Shameful, even.

I agree with every point of this.

Top Ten Countries in the IBAF Men's Rankings:

1. Cuba

2. USA

3. Japan

4. South Korea

5. Taiwan

6. Canada

7. Netherlands

8. Venezuela

9. Italy

10. Australia

That doesn't look very North American centric to me. Baseball is predominantly played in the Americas and in East Asia yes, but it is played elsewhere and significant efforts have been made to increase the global reach of baseball. Case in point, the most recent and last champions of the Baseball World Cup is the Netherlands and the World Baseball Classic Qualifiers involved a number of European nations participating.

Frankly I think Baseball merits inclusion. If you are going to have sports like Table Tennis or Synchronized Swimming that are dominated year in year out by the same country or sports that require highly specialized venues like Track Cycling or sports that are safely in the games that are regional in practice like Badminton then Baseball and Softball don't have any compelling reason for exclusion. The venues would be well used by the Baseball and Softball tournaments, can be used in conjunction with Cricket if it where included, and can be easily used after the games for either baseball or it could be converted to a football stadium like Portland did with their minor league stadium.

I also don't get supporting the exclusion of Baseball because of a perceived North American centricity while supporting the inclusion of Modern Pentathlon for vague historical reasons considering that the sport is unpopular, played by privileged elites, and European centric? What the Olympics should primarily be considering when including sports is whether or not the sports broaden the reach of the Olympic movement and whether or not the sports are popular and played by people. Baseball is clearly popular and its professional leagues are well attended and making huge profits.

Baseball isn't going to happen. IBAF wants professionals to play Olympic Baseball. That will only happen when hell freezes over. Basketball, Tennis and Hockey have the best athletes in the world playing in the Olympics. The same would not happen in baseball. Heck, when baseball was in the Olympics the last time, the United States, Japan, Puerto Rico, The Dominican Republic, Venezuela and Canada (to name a few) were without their best baseball players. Basketball has names like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and Pau Gasol all compete in the Olympics. Olympic Tennis has names like Venus Williams, Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova, Roger Federer, Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic and Victoria Azerenka, all of whom are major names. Ice Hockey has names like Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechin (to name two among a large number of NHL players in the Olympics).

If baseball does return, expect Team USA to fill their roster with Affiliated Minor Leaguers and Indy League ball players, like it was the last time baseball had the Olympics. Likewise many of the Latin Countries such as Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Venezuela would fill their rosters with guys playing in their winter leagues. Major League Baseball has been against their players playing in the Olympics. It is why they created the World Baseball Classic. It's not going to change anytime soon. There will not ever be Major League Baseball Players in the Olympics. It's not going to be different this time around.

Baseball's removal is not about it being "North American" centric. To me, baseball's removal from the Olympics has everything to do with the fact that the best baseball players in the world do not compete in the Olympics. To think otherwise is quite delusional. If basketball and hockey can have the best players in the world in the Olympics, baseball should to. However, Major League Baseball refuses to disrupt their season for the Olympics. It was the downfall of baseball in the Olympics and it will be the major negative when they make their pitch to return to the Olympics.

No Major Leaguers = No Olympic baseball. It's that simple.

Baseball isn't going to happen. IBAF wants professionals to play Olympic Baseball. That will only happen when hell freezes over. Basketball, Tennis and Hockey have the best athletes in the world playing in the Olympics. The same would not happen in baseball. Heck, when baseball was in the Olympics the last time, the United States, Japan, Puerto Rico, The Dominican Republic, Venezuela and Canada (to name a few) were without their best baseball players. Basketball has names like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and Pau Gasol all compete in the Olympics. Olympic Tennis has names like Venus Williams, Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova, Roger Federer, Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic and Victoria Azerenka, all of whom are major names. Ice Hockey has names like Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechin (to name two among a large number of NHL players in the Olympics).

If baseball does return, expect Team USA to fill their roster with Affiliated Minor Leaguers and Indy League ball players, like it was the last time baseball had the Olympics. Likewise many of the Latin Countries such as Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Venezuela would fill their rosters with guys playing in their winter leagues. Major League Baseball has been against their players playing in the Olympics. It is why they created the World Baseball Classic. It's not going to change anytime soon. There will not ever be Major League Baseball Players in the Olympics. It's not going to be different this time around.

Baseball's removal is not about it being "North American" centric. To me, baseball's removal from the Olympics has everything to do with the fact that the best baseball players in the world do not compete in the Olympics. To think otherwise is quite delusional. If basketball and hockey can have the best players in the world in the Olympics, baseball should to. However, Major League Baseball refuses to disrupt their season for the Olympics. It was the downfall of baseball in the Olympics and it will be the major negative when they make their pitch to return to the Olympics.

No Major Leaguers = No Olympic baseball. It's that simple.

I agree 100%

Baseball returns (and only if the IOC will allow it) if the MLB agrees to come. Apparently the IBAF is in discussions with MLB.

• 2 weeks later...

MCC backs Twenty20 to become Olympic sport at 2024 Games

The MCC World Cricket Committee is backing the inclusion of Twenty20 at the 2024 Olympic Games, believing it could lead to "a potential boost" in the profile of the sport. Cricket would have to apply to be on the programme for future Olympics, but has got through the first stage of selection having received full Olympic recognition in 2010.

The earliest the International Cricket Council can apply to be part of the Olympics is for the 2024 Games.

The MCC World Cricket Committee – which acts as a complementary body to the ICC – met in Auckland over the past two days and although it admits it would cost the game financially, it feels the positives of being an Olympic sport would make up for such losses.

"The MCC World Cricket Committee appreciates that a great deal of effort may be needed to lobby for the inclusion of cricket in the Olympic Games of 2024.

"The committee accepts that, were cricket to be played in the Olympics, there would be a short-term loss in income for the ICC, and therefore for dispersion to its members, but is impressed with the potential boost for the game worldwide if cricket were to be included.

"Furthermore, the committee advocates Twenty20 cricket as the format to be played at the Olympics, thereby providing the 'pinnacle' of that form of the sport."

The president of the International Olympic Committee, Jacques Rogge, encouraged the sport to put forward a case for its inclusion, saying in 2011: "We would welcome an application. It's an important, popular sport and very powerful on television. It's a sport with a great tradition where mostly you have a respect of the ethics."

Cricket appeared in the Games in 1900, when Britain were beaten by France, and there was also a cricket tournament at the 1998 Commonwealth Games.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/feb/27/twenty20-cricket-2024-olympics

I agree - it's a Commonwealth sport, not an Oly one. But that said, it at least has a larger global footprint than baseball.

I can agree with that because of India, but financially speaking the baseball brings more to the table (and I think that is something IOC craves lol).

Accumulative attendance right? And that's because no league in the world have teams playing ~180 boring games each per season. IIRC the highest average attendance was 44k. and it's only going down. 5 years ago two teams had average attendance over 50k and other 5 above 40k. Last year no team averaged more than 45k spectators per game.

Archived